Building an XCR CX/Gravel

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DHG01

by DHG01

Beautiful day in Madrid for a test ride. I did something short; about 40 km. A bit of single track, gravel, rougher gravel and abandoned tarmac.

I had two of the classic mechanicals; bottle cage was loose and seatpost slipped. I ve now removed 1 cm of spacer.

But truth is I am delighted! Very, very pleased. Geometry is perfect (as you would expect). The ride is very similar to a good titanium; it has that springly feeling when going over rough terrain (unlike the Standert). The bridge on the seat stays is very thin; perhaps that and the flattened top tube contribute to the ride. Down tube is bi axial and shaped (not round); looks really good.

Lower bottom bracket (than a typical CX) and a relatively contained wheelbase, keep it agile on the single tracks. HT angle at 71.5 is fine; I do wonder what would have happened with the BMCs 72.5.

Still need to ride more, but I think it is a very good balance between sporty and comfy frame.

Mini motos brake fine; actually, as long as I keep those rims and pads together, and it is dry, braking is superb. But they are a bit of pain to setup. Cable is compressionless.

I found Red a bit more mechanical, less smoother than usual. Perhaps cabling needs to settle in.

3T wheelset is a good balance between light and stiff. They probable weigh 200/250 grams more than the 2.2 SES I initially got for this bike, but the Enve s lack stiffness. As I ve written before, I don't need the stiffness to transfer loads of power, but to provide a more composed behavior. When tyres slip and we have to react, we don't need wobbly tyres to make things worse.

Sammy Slick tubulars have been a very pleasant surprise; particulary being used to Vittoria and Challenge. Pumped at 3 bar/45 PSI, good grip on dry hard pack, nice soft rubber and smooth ride (particularly compared to Tufos).

And that is about it. I will update the final weights.

Highly recommend Pablo from BBloque; excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail. At €1800 frame/€350 paint, I am thinking of getting road version.

I hope sharing my experience has been of some use.
Attachments
BBB4C46A-9D60-4532-8E69-8560BCFEAB4E.jpeg
Last edited by DHG01 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DHG01

by DHG01

First day in the wet. Not the best tyres for grip on mud, but the ride was still fine.

It is a very pleasant surprise to see how látex tubulars (or tubeless for that matter) and a compliant frame allow to roll comfortably through gravel yet at 33 mm width and 3 bar are not too bad when connecting paths on tarmac.
Attachments
0BDA10E3-CFB0-4754-8CBA-FA7488E674A6.jpeg
1A3A1FC8-954B-424D-9BB4-E7B7603BBEA9.jpeg
1F5B09B0-B487-431D-B47E-0513040662C9.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

Ahead of an event 2 weeks back.
I swapped the carbon post for a titanium one. I think it looks better, but open to other views. Comfort wise, I haven't noticed anything. I guess straight and little seat post sticking out is the reason. Also, carbon rails on the saddle might also have something to do with it.

979A573B-038A-4346-845F-F1D8B7B7C170.jpeg

stanvr

by stanvr

I like the titanium post! A ti stem would go well with it too I think, similar to your chrome Standert and Klein used to be ;).

DHG01

by DHG01

stanvr wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:47 am
I like the titanium post! A ti stem would go well with it too I think, similar to your chrome Standert and Klein used to be ;).
Thank you my friend. I might be abusing too much of the chrome look?!?

I see the Klein is looking more beautiful every day!

stanvr

by stanvr

Yeah I wouldn't go for more chrome looky bikes personally, but hey, it's titanium and thats cool! Definitely more special over carbon/black parts:)

DHG01

by DHG01

I a bit of an update.
Long ride beside a canal in Valladolid; nice flat gravel ride, perfect weather and company of a good friend.

A few learnings.

Early flat on new Challenge Almanzo tubular (yeah...I know, tubeless). I didn't have enough sealant to fix; I looked ahead of the ride, but the bubbly nature of the Effetto Mariposa made me think the bottle was full.

So I had to put on the spare Tufo. Second learning, off go the J&L titanium skewers. They are very light and no stiffness or safety issues, but the aluminium allen bolt (alternative to QR handle) slipped when trying to unbolt. Only because I was fortunate enough to find someone with pliers (and flatted 500 m from a small town, instead of 12km) was I able to release the rear wheel. I won't put back the original 3T, but will find a lights and suitable alternative. BTW, my tubeless fanboy buddy was impressed on how to swap a tubular in 3 min (spare was obviously stretched already).

Third learning; on these shallowish wheels, some tubulars require valve extenders other do not. Fortunately the Tufo doesn't (the front Schwalbe does). If I would have been mounting 2 tubulars that do not requiere extender and the spare did, I would have had another problem - learning; carrying a valve extender going forward.

Delicious ride; the bike rides like a dream, comfy road geometry and flexy back end due to the steel and the build.
Attachments
55418DBC-22C2-4D66-B813-8C05D6650660.png
Last edited by DHG01 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

DHG01

by DHG01

Forgot - 60 grams saved by reducing titanium seat post length.
Attachments
904C0277-8CCC-4E21-98B3-247D4FB2A64F.jpeg

DHG01

by DHG01

A few changes a few months back. Alongside the fork being cut (there is still a 25 mm spacer), I swapped tubular to tan sidewalls; so had to change bar tape to black.

I still like the black tyres more though. So went back there with the next set of tyres.

Weight on this picture is 7.76 (Red Cassette, heavier tubulars that the early ones, titanium seat post).
Attachments
IMG_8591.png

DHG01

by DHG01

However, I ve been having challenges some with a couple of tubulars during a short period of time. As soon as pressure is lowered, risk of pinch flats or tear on rocky paths is there.

There is a good reason why no one rides tubulars on gravel :D
So after getting stuck a couple of times, and given the limited choice of > 33 mm tubulars, I decided to give tubeless a chance.

Coincidentally, I stumbled with a good offer on tubeless ready Reynolds wheels - both AR29X and AR40X. I had some doubts on which to pick. I read some reviews claiming AR40X had too much brake rub. I found very little info on the AR29X, but no reference to brake rub (at least in disc version). So that is where I landed.

As claimed, weight was 1385 grams with rim tape (I actually got 1379).

I terms of tyre, I went for the 38/40 mm GK Slick. Very easy to mount on the rims....quite difficult to get the tyre pumped and the beads locked.

Weight increment was a mere 20 grams. Clearly the 3Ts weigh more than the 1250 grams declared and the tubulars more than the GKs.

The Reynolds are fine; plenty stiff and no brake rub.

For rockier paths, huge upgrade. Very pleased with how the 38/40 mm smooth out the ride in these instances. The GKs feel very fast; no reason to think they are slower than any of the previous high end tubulars used - even on paved or smoother paths

Grip does come as a trade off; it's horrible.
I also noticed that the wider tyres result in a slightly different ride, particular when cornering and maneuvering. The bike seems a bit more edgy and abrupt to move around.

In any case, ver please with the change.
Attachments
IMG_8643.png

DHG01

by DHG01

Still riding smoothly; more comfortable than the Basso Palta - love that bike, but its proprietary handlebar and Ekar don't match that well.

Two changes - from GK slicks to GK SK. Needed a bit of just in case grip for a specific event. GK SK are good and do have that bit of grip the slicks lack; but will be back on the slicks as soon as these wear off.

The other change, swapped the 6° stem to 12°. Same Sworks model and 90 mm length. Still comfy; did it for the looks, now having the stem and top tube look parallel. Will be doing the same with the Triebwerk once painted.

In hindsight, on this bike, perhaps I should have gone with 12°/ 100 mm. I guess I leaned on the cautions side.
Attachments
IMG_0620.png