Specialized Aethos Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Cool!

This can be made really really light:
- THM cranks + extralite rings
- if you want pedals with power, your best bet is Favero Duo customized with lighter Exustar bodies
- if you can live with Left only power, THM cranks with PM spindle and your choice of WW pedals
- Darimo cockpit (seatpost, stem, handlebar)
- since this has no integration, you can probably replace a few other standard parts (seatpost collar, headset topcap & expander, the headset itself)
- there might be some additional weight to be saved with thru axles (extralite, Carbon Ti, Robert Axle)
- as others mentioned, Extralite 338C if you want tubeless (I think this deserves a nice pair of tubulars TBH). For ultimate weightweenism, send the wheels to Berd to replace the spokes

Since this will not take a mechanical Red22, I would use at least a Red cassete with DA. Or even go full WW with some exotic cassette.

I think you can approach 5kg without sacrificing much (well except for your wallet). But this would probably end up still being cheaper than the Founder's edition.

Enviado de meu SM-G950F usando o Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

txomin

by txomin

Took a seat here, my hopes <5 k

txomin

by txomin

KCookie wrote:Wow that is one light frame. Looking forward to seeing this build.

Definitely can go under 5kg with the right components with such a light frame.

My Urgestalt is under 4.7kg and the frame was 200g heavier.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Discs?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

ngenear wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:06 am
Thanks for the heads up but it doesn't look like it's made in my size
They have sizes that aren't listed on the website. I just picked up a 44/110 that isn't listed.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

AndreLM wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:36 am
Cool!

- if you want pedals with power, your best bet is Favero Duo customized with lighter Exustar bodies
- if you can live with Left only power, THM cranks with PM spindle and your choice of WW pedals
- since this has no integration, you can probably replace a few other standard parts (seatpost collar, headset topcap & expander, the headset itself)
- there might be some additional weight to be saved with thru axles (extralite, Carbon Ti, Robert Axle)
- as others mentioned, Extralite 338C if you want tubeless (I think this deserves a nice pair of tubulars TBH). For ultimate weightweenism, send the wheels to Berd to replace the spokes

Since this will not take a mechanical Red22, I would use at least a Red cassete with DA. Or even go full WW with some exotic cassette.

I think you can approach 5kg without sacrificing much (well except for your wallet). But this would probably end up still being cheaper than the Founder's edition.

You can go lighter with faveros?
How does the bodie change work?

AndreLM

by AndreLM

(it is actually with Xpedo, and not Exustar as I mentioned above)

Gplama put together a video explaining how you change the standard body to a MTB one: https://youtu.be/ybAFIhKahnM

All Xpedo pedals (and Favero) use the same spindle design. You can save a few grams by changing to Xpedo Thrust SL bodies:
https://xpedo.com/product/pedals/road/thrust-sl/

Somebody here in WW calculated the savings at 43g for the set:
viewtopic.php?t=148289&start=240

vincenz

by vincenz

Nice, have fun with the build.

Didn’t they say 588g for a size 56 frame though? Yours is about that, but a 52, and in a raw color-way too. I thought we’d see something like around 550g or below for a smaller size.

Geraint

by Geraint

Nice. Is this the 'satin carbon jet fuel' or the 'satin carbon / gloss black chrome' colour? The latter is listed in some of the reviews but doesn't seem to be available in the uk :?

Geraint

by Geraint

Scratch that last question- just seen your post in the Aethos thread that it is the gloss black chrome one and it isn't available in the uk 😢

ngenear

by ngenear

vincenz wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:42 pm

Didn’t they say 588g for a size 56 frame though? Yours is about that, but a 52, and in a raw color-way too. I thought we’d see something like around 550g or below for a smaller size.
Could be a few reasons: marketing shenanigans where they cherry pick a light frame in a given size (there are always variances in production), they also could be stating a truly raw frame (no paint or decals or frame protectors or mounting brackets or water bottle bosses). Or there was a print error. Who knows really, but if I stripped decals and front braze on I'd probably drop another ~20-30 grams.

But I think we can all agree that 591 grams is damn light!

ngenear

by ngenear

AndreLM wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:36 am
Cool!

The expander has been machined down compared to the ones in a tarmac etc. I'll get pics and weights soon.

A SRAM Red cassette is an option on my mind.

And I am considering tubulars and the Berd spokes (but only in black!)

vincenz

by vincenz

ngenear wrote:
vincenz wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:42 pm

Could be a few reasons: marketing shenanigans where they cherry pick a light frame in a given size (there are always variances in production), they also could be stating a truly raw frame (no paint or decals or frame protectors or mounting brackets or water bottle bosses). Or there was a print error. Who knows really, but if I stripped decals and front braze on I'd probably drop another ~20-30 grams.

But I think we can all agree that 591 grams is damn light!
I think you’re right, must be raw frame without paint and derailleur mounting hardware. That would make yours in line with a weight probably around 550g or so. Definitely light either way, enjoy.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:04 pm
oldturd wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:57 pm
Sub 5kg? :)
Don't think that is possible?
I beg to argue. You don't even need Aethos for that, but it enables more space for part choice compared to heavier framesets.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

That is a sensational frame weight!!! Round tubes, no integration, threaded bottom bracket. Could Weight Weenie be making a come back? Bring back the golden era circa 2007 :thumbup: I cant even imagine how light this frame would be if it was rim brake.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

liketoride

by liketoride

that is what i want

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com