2020 Emonda SLR Weight Loss

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

drock79

by drock79

Nixster wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:21 am
Praxis rings on the cranks will save you 25g or so. XG1190 cassette is worth 40g. Glue the tubs rather than tape will be lighter, how much kind of depends 😀
I might go with the Praxis rings, I'll take the 40g hit on the Dura-Ace cassette tho
Nixster wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:21 am
Oh and go with SRAM red chain when this one wears out, won’t be lighter but it will shift better and be quieter on the SRAM cassette 😀
The KMC chain runs quite quietly, esp for SRAM, a bit loud on the 3 smallest cogs but I think I can lessen that messing with the b-screw a bit more

drock79

by drock79

Almost a year later and she's down to 12.18 lbs (5.52kg)

Thanks to a lighter saddle, tubulars, and a 140 rear rotor

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tiddytoddy

by tiddytoddy

This is some pretty impressive weight savings without any "exotic" WW hardware. I'm very impressed.

What are your thoughts on those spyre brake calipers? I've been thinking about using them for my next build.

drock79

by drock79

tiddytoddy wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:20 pm
This is some pretty impressive weight savings without any "exotic" WW hardware. I'm very impressed.

What are your thoughts on those spyre brake calipers? I've been thinking about using them for my next build.
They work well. Not the exact same modulation as hydraulic calipers, and compressionless cable selection is key. I spent 5 days riding up and down the Blue Ridge mountains and not a single issue. Think excellent rim brakes on a great aluminim brake track.

Tacomajack

by Tacomajack

Trek has an SLR seatmast cap not sure if it is still made and LW hardware. Rotor Cassette maybe. Love the build.

steff

by steff

Very interested about you think of mechanical disk brake and calipers. Think that mechanical red 22 shifters are nicer than hydraulic ones

Pyotrump

by Pyotrump

steff wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 6:56 am
Very interested about you think of mechanical disk brake and calipers. Think that mechanical red 22 shifters are nicer than hydraulic ones
sorry for stealing the thread. I have used 1. red 22 mech with Spyre 2. with juintech semi hydro 3. Red 22 full hydro, 1 and 2 are good enough for roadie rides but not for gravel and mixed terrain. It is most important to keep the space between pads and rotor at minimum. Spyre required regular pad gap maintenance once a 3 weeks in my case.

steff

by steff

Ok thanks 👍

Nixster

by Nixster

You actually ride Tufo elite jets? I thought those were only for carrying as spares? 😀
But seriously Vittoria or Veloflex will I think give a much smoother ride for not many extra grams.
I’d second the XG1190 with Red chain suggestion too. But then I never found the SRAM +DA combination to work well.
Titanium bolt replacement is a pretty cheap weight saving idea area. Alloy for lightly loaded and non critical functions such as bottle cages.

drock79

by drock79

Nixster wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:30 pm
You actually ride Tufo elite jets? I thought those were only for carrying as spares? 😀
But seriously Vittoria or Veloflex will I think give a much smoother ride for not many extra grams.
I’d second the XG1190 with Red chain suggestion too. But then I never found the SRAM +DA combination to work well.
Titanium bolt replacement is a pretty cheap weight saving idea area. Alloy for lightly loaded and non critical functions such as bottle cages.
Hey I'm giving them a try. So far not too bad. My 9100 cassette shifts GREAT with no issues. The minimum tire pressure on the Tufo's must be ignored to get any kind of ride quality.