Standert Triebwerk

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DHG01

by DHG01

Hi
I have been reading Weightweenies for some time. I enjoy insightful comments, particularly on the less known frames and components; and also some of the incredible builds I see here. My favourite are Godzuki type thread, bringing together insight and technique wrapped in a fine sense of humour.
I love riding and bikes. I mostly do so on road and CX/Gravel riding.
I do not like ugly bikes and find them unnecessary.

I have a well speced SuperSix. Not heavy, neither light at WW standards. 6.4 kg with 4.5 SES, steel cages and 105 silver aluminium pedals (I know, but I like the metal, and they are the last metalic SPD SL pedals).
I am a firm believer that once you have ridden a well speced SuperSix, the worthwhile next steps are to seek balancing beauty and functionality within steel and titanium.
I will not talk about the SS. I think plenty has been said and, given the audience, I would question the value of my contribution.
Attachments
BEFC0D2B-586F-4A95-8705-9D4AFED96DBA.jpeg
A22FA172-1CC4-4F75-ACD3-04456B85CE69.jpeg
Last edited by DHG01 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

I would like, however, to talk about my Standert Triebwerk. It has been with me a bit over 2 years now. I think it has probably been the bike I have most used during the past 2 years.
Specs are:
• Standert Triebwerk frame with Columbus Futura fork.
• DA 9100 group set.
• Thomson Masterpiece seat post
• Ritchey Classic Stem
• Handlebar 3T Ergosum (currently K Forece light)
• Saddle. Antares R1, then Berk Dila and now FX Carbon.
I have tested with various wheelsets. All in in tubular: 3T T35 Ltd, Enve SES 4.5, DA C40 and Schmolke TLO 45. All good wheelsets, probably SES and C40 would be my favourite.
It is no weightweenie. Lowest weigh recorded in ~7.2 (with the TLOs) and I have some doubts on that scale.
There are many things I like about this bike. Looks for starter. Geometry, with the 1 cm spacer, suits me very well. Comfortable, but sporty enough.
I read a review on Granfondo magazine. I think it said the bike was twitchy.
I do not think I agree. I actually think this is one of the best handling bikes I know. It does what you ask of it, and it does so immediately. It isn’t a long wheelbase bike whereby you have to politely ask it to make a turn. It s a bike that says “is that all?” once you are finished. I find the handling on par or nearly on par with a SuperSix.
Stiffness is fine. As I do not compete, my main concern is not around power transfer. I assess stiffness in terms of handling; some bikes might wobble a bit throughout curves on a non perfect tarmac. Not here, the bike follows the line you ask of it and does so with composure and confidence (might be getting a bit too poetic here).
There is steep hill near my house. It is short, perhaps 15-18%, with rough tarmac. I sometimes do the front brake test there. I think I get best results there from a BMC CX01 (that does have a chunky fork). With the Standert, there is a bit flexion within fork in that circumstance. But as said, it is really pushing the front brake in a less than ideal setting.
Last edited by DHG01 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

DHG01

by DHG01

Picture with TLOs and 3Ts. Minimum weight has been with the TLOs.
Attachments
01618C72-54FE-4E94-99C7-BAA58883A0C0.jpeg
268B8239-206F-4C3D-B48F-DA343EC691DD.jpeg
24CDF113-30AC-4D97-8561-0A05CF17A49B.jpeg

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

"I do not like ugly bikes and find them unnecessary."

This cracked me up

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Beautiful! Do you have a breakdown of weight?

jbaillie

by jbaillie

1. That bike is beautiful, I love Standert's frames and you've dressed yours perfectly.
2. I think I'm going to get that quote printed on a sticker and affix it to my bike.

DHG01

by DHG01

wolfesquire wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:43 pm
Beautiful! Do you have a breakdown of weight?
Thank you for your comment.
I do not have the weights broken down.

When I got the frame, it had the corresponding part of the headset inserted and also the bottom bracket.

I actually found interesting that Standert lets you choose the bottom bracket standard; so the'll drop you a note and ask what crankset will be set up.

Having said that, it didn't let me weigh the frame (and the CK headset and bb is not light).

I recall de Columbus Futura fork being quite heavy, around 390 uncut.

The Thomson seatpost I think was 140-150 grams.

I did weigh the Schmolke s, 1136 gr. I think that is about 80 grams more than specified. C40s were 1390 (yikes!).
Last edited by DHG01 on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DHG01

by DHG01

jbaillie wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:37 pm
1. That bike is beautiful, I love Standert's frames and you've dressed yours perfectly.
2. I think I'm going to get that quote printed on a sticker and affix it to my bike.
Thank you. I very much enjoyed reading about your Firefly. I don't think titanium can get much better.

DHG01

by DHG01

A few details. Berlin and the Bear.
The aluminium cages had quickly exited in favor of stainless steel.
Attachments
8BAAD147-F43A-446C-841E-B6C89B912AE6.jpeg
8E4D170C-13AA-4019-ADF6-B2796AEFE31B.jpeg

DHG01

by DHG01

A bit about the tubes. Standert uses different Columbus tubings, I assume trying to balance stiffness, compliance, weight and cost.
Head tube is HSS (Spirit family), top tube and seat stays are Spirit; down tube and seat tube are Life; chain stays are the oval, chunky Max.

I also have a Ritchey Logic, which I think makes for an interesting comparison. As a side note, I rather have more bikes well speced than fewer better speced. E.g the full DA group is ~ €1100. A different crank and ee s would lower the weight but would probably cost another ~ €1000, which is more than what I paid for the Ritchey Logic frame set.

So back to the comparison, the Standert is probably a tad heavier (particularly with the CK headset); I actually think the Logic (as is Gunnar) is a great frame to build a light steel.
The Standert is, however, somewhat stiffer, particularly when standing or high cadence at high speed (e.g. a typical -2/3%).
It is not something I care much about, but might be of interest for bigger riders or those who particularly value stiffness.

The Standert also has better handling though. It might be because of that additional stiffness (particularly in the bb and back end), the angles or simply because the geometry suits me better. On twitchy and fastish descends (it put the breaks on at 65-70 km/h), the Standert offers a better ride.

Btw, best descends may have been with the 3T; I ve never seen anything brake like DA + 3Ts; shames my discs. On the other hand, SES is like riding on rails...mmm

I don’t think either of them really mute the road in the way carbon does. But if you rather a comfy frame that springs through bumpy pavement, the Logic is two notches above. Though the Standert performs better in some aspects, the Logic is a great bike and one I very much enjoy.

Standert’s stiffness doesn’t come free of charge, it is a harsher bike that mutes the road as much as a Quantum Pro...And that might be its biggest flaw, because that is precisely the opposite of what steel frame buyers are after.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I like it a lot, although a black stem and seatpost suit well also on this beautiful blue bike. Maybe it is because you have such nice tan wall tires and complete black wheels. 8)

DHG01

by DHG01

I agree; a black stem and seatpost will always look good.

I wanted to risk on this build, and go for the silver. I was actually considering DA 9000 silver cranks; but eventually disregarded the option as it came out being significantly more expensive.

I am happy with the silver; I like the classic look with a (reasonably) modern bike performance.

Since then, I have toyed with silver seatpost, stem and crank with a Klein; very happy with the results, though she is now gone (that's another story!)
Attachments
FED1B22D-595B-473F-B474-7C8806C76A7B.jpeg

nick12

by nick12

Really nice Standert (and Klein!) and thanks for sharing the feedback on the ride. I’m actually thinking about getting one myself (when they update the rim brake model later this year). I’m planning to use it for fast group rides and races, but from your feedback I’m wondering whether I should save it for my Sunday coffee rides (whenever they start back up!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nick12

by nick12

Re-reading your feedback now and the steering response sounds like it would be great in a race. Handling outweighs stiffness most days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DHG01

by DHG01

Hi Nick
Thanks for the compliment.
I think stiffness is fine; the comparison with a CX bike with a heavy fork might be a bit unfair.
Handling is superb. With light and stiff wheels, it should make a fine race bike.