A brace of Sturdys...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

So... I basically wanted an Open W.I.D.E but metal and custom that would work for XC, CX and a mudguard commute bike.

After a lot of research I came upon Tom Sturdy. After a brief chat I happily parted with my money! 3D printed 6/4 Ti with Ti 3/2 tubes, Ti seatpost, enve stem and new enve fork with flip chip, Beast gravel bar, Beast 40 gravel 35mm terra speed, beast 650b gravel (for 2" tyres), Roval CLx32 650b with Rene herse 48mm slicks, Sram AXS mullet..

Anyway was also going to get an SL7 tarmac to race on but Tom said he could build me something that could complete and as a sucker for custom metal over plastic I said yes! (More to follow in time) but enve AXS with Beast RX 60 on DT Swis 180.. and some beast RS 25 with DT Swis 180 for climbing

Finally I was looking for something traditional, metal, lugged and Italian.. letting this slip to Tom and he said I can do that 😳😂 so we are also doing a 3d printed stainless lugs with steel tubes, lugged steel fork,3d printed stainless quill stem, darimo Seatpost and bar, Alpitude saddle and cages, Campy SR mechanical rim with bora WTO 45.. 🙈

So one total genius frame builder = all basses covered! These will all come together over the next 6 months! Photos and details to follow when progress is made and toys in my hands :)
Last edited by CustomMetal on Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

erik$

by erik$

This will be above average.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pumablk

by Pumablk

Sounds like you had a "ho hum" day. I soppose I'll wait for pics.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Blimey! Sounds very interesting, I'm subscribing to this one
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Saffronspokes

by Saffronspokes

Yeah definitely following this thread. Tom is such an awesome guy to deal with I'm sure they'll be amazing!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I wonder which bike come first?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Beaumont

by Beaumont

CustomMetal wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:40 pm
After a lot of research I came upon Tom Sturdy. After a brief chat I happily parted with my money! 3D printed 6/4 Ti with Ti 3/2 tubes, Ti seatpost, enve stem and new enve fork with flip chip, Beats gravel bar, Beast 40 gravel 35mm terra speed, beast 650b gravel (for 2" tyres), Roval CLx32 650b with Rene herse 48mm slicks, Sram AXS mullet..
Anyway was also going to get an SL7 tarmac to race on but Tom said he could build me something that could complete and as a sucker for custom metal over plastic I said yes! (More to follow in time) but enve AXS with enve 7.8 on DT Swis 180.. and some beast 25 with DT Swis 180 for climbing
So one total genius frame builder = all basses covered! These will all come together over the next 6 months! Photos and details to follow when progress is made and toys in my hands :)
Wow, I am really glad I am not the only fool around there :D My story is even more crazy, I was mulling over if I should get a Canyon Ultimate (best price/performance ratio) or spend more on something like SuperSix or even SL7, but it was way over my budget and I just couldn´t justify to spend so much money on plastic bike mass produced in China. I try to keep my integrity, shop local, minimalise waste and support local business, so how to accept such compromise from my convictions when we speak about my principal, well, more than hobby, sport that I love.. As a long time lover of metal (bikes, music), I was more and more lost, until I saw the Bossi Ti frame - god, so after all I could get a race bride, modern (hidden cables) and slightly aero bike made from my beloved material? :shock: :lol: But than I found out those frames are made in China, so again a moral dilemma.
Than I decided to write to Tom Sturdy aaaaaaand...ta daaaaah... when I standard Canyon on Ultegra is around your budget, go custom Ti :mrgreen:
But hey, I do take it as an investment, this kind of frame is going to be timeless, impossibly sublime and greatly in line with what I love and like. I just thought that this kind of custom frames are just a dream for me - but, we do live only once. Foolish, unreasonable, but hell yeah! :twisted:
So I am in the same boat, a lot of development in the process, I continue to do the savings (the rest of my build is going to be more modest), but here I am in the queue as I made my comission
No I just can´t wait to get more info, see more pics and looking forward to..probably the biggest Christmass of my life (I hope it will be somewhere soon in the spring) - well, maybe just after that Transformer toy I got when I was a kid, I still remember that crazy happiness only child can have :D
Tank - Genesis Croix de fer commuter/winter bike
ArTiGiana - Sturdy Titanium aero (incoming)
Bamboo fixie (have to build it :)

Beaumont

by Beaumont

CustomMetal wrote:
Anyway was also going to get an SL7 tarmac to race on but Tom said he could build me something that could complete and as a sucker for custom metal over plastic I said yes! (More to follow in time) but enve AXS with enve 7.8 on DT Swis 180.. and some beast 25 with DT Swis 180 for climbing
So this one is going to be a race aero bike? Composite on the seat tube? :beerchug:

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Beaumont wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:39 am
CustomMetal wrote:
So this one is going to be a race aero bike? Composite on the seat tube? :beerchug:
Aero metal/Carbon perfection indeed!!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

Beaumont

by Beaumont

CustomMetal wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:00 pm
Cool! I also discussed that option with Tom but I chose to stay all metal - I want to keep this purity of all metal basis, but I am really curious what it is going to look like on your machine!
And do you already know what finish are you going to choose? For me it is becoming the bigger and bigger riddle - brushed, satin, polished, combination? Keep that simple all Ti look or play with some colour thanks to anodisation? This is going to be very hard to decide :)

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Just can't decide at this point but all very exciting!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Found out about Tom 6 months ago
Always have been a fan of quality production ti ( stainless steel and modern alu too ) , or customs
Great contact with him

Outisde of my reach for now especially as living in Belgium and student.
And we don't have a scheme as nice as Cycle2work

Can't wait to see it all
It's going to be mega

Saffronspokes

by Saffronspokes

Beaumont wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:27 pm
CustomMetal wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:00 pm
Cool! I also discussed that option with Tom but I chose to stay all metal - I want to keep this purity of all metal basis, but I am really curious what it is going to look like on your machine!
And do you already know what finish are you going to choose? For me it is becoming the bigger and bigger riddle - brushed, satin, polished, combination? Keep that simple all Ti look or play with some colour thanks to anodisation? This is going to be very hard to decide :)
Yeah when I got mine he only offered the one finish, I think I'd go brushed or polished if given the choice these days. Anodisation is cool but doesn't age nearly as well as timeless raw Titanium.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

The monster X build starts...
Attachments
26E695B2-3723-4DCF-87A4-C1AEECCE3DCE.jpeg
74D340B5-86A2-4E84-9BC6-915CD1AC0419.jpeg
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaumont

by Beaumont

CustomMetal wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:44 pm
The monster X build starts...
So Serenity is about to be borned? Über cool! Have you allready seen the fenders? :twisted: