Heav(il)y Overkill Gravel Commuter

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: maxim809, MrCurrieinahurry, Moderator Team

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

I went through the effort to photograph and posted my sub-5-on-a-budget weight weenie (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=163352), I might as well share my overkill gravel commuter as well. This one isn't by any means a weight weenie bike, with the actual bike tipping the scales at just over 9420g, but it has been quoted by my friends as being pretty "rad." Had a lot of fun color-coordinating this bike, so have a look :)

I'm probably one of a handful of people out there who actually bought Shimano Metrea, the Ultegra-priced urban commuter groupset.

The frame is an ICAN GR-02 gravel frame, with matching ICAN Aero 50 wheels, set up tubeless, of course.

Have yet to encounter another bike with bullhorn Metrea before. Ironically, it wasn't the groupset that was hard to find, it was the bars. To my knowledge and research, only 2 manufacturers make compatible bars; one being Shimano-Pro, of whom were out of stock in the North Americas when I needed them, and the other was Nitto of Japan. I Ended up finding a pair of Pro bars in Korea.

Found a nice deal on a Lauf Grit SL fork using a 20% off first purchase coupon code + no tax because I bought it from another state :D

That red stripe is actually some Schwinn decal I found lying around in the shop lol.

The color match with the DT hubs was completely coincidental, and much appreciated!

RED RED RED

Ultegra and Metrea share the same pull ratio. Wolf Tooth Roadlink DM permits up to a 42, I'm running a 40

SRAM Force 1 for that sweet 1x.

Even the saddle bag was chosen for its color.

Who would've thought the tires also had some red on them? :beerchug:

Now if only I could find the time to get some nice pictures by Lake Michigan... Anyways, there you have it, hope yall enjoyed seeing this. For my 3km commute, this is totally and utterly overkill.

3phase

by 3phase

Rad indeed! That Metrea is classy!

by Weenie

mrfish

by mrfish

Very cool.

How do those Metrea shifters work, as I thought they were Di2 when I first saw them.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

mrfish wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:07 pm
Very cool.

How do those Metrea shifters work, as I thought they were Di2 when I first saw them.
Same as regular shifters, just differently shaped levers; big paddle down, small paddle up. Performance is where you'd expect it for the price, i.e. ultegra level. I like the brake lever feel a lot, gives much better power and modulation when compared to STIs

dak

by dak

How do you like the GRA02 Frame? I'm thinking about building one up with fat slicks for road and hard pack beach riding. I wasn't sure what the difference is between it and the ICAN X-Gravel which looks like it has slightly wider tire clearance.

Great build for sure. I've long been a fan of ICAN wheels and that is coming from a set of Enves.
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

dak wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:44 pm
How do you like the GRA02 Frame? I'm thinking about building one up with fat slicks for road and hard pack beach riding. I wasn't sure what the difference is between it and the ICAN X-Gravel which looks like it has slightly wider tire clearance.

Great build for sure. I've long been a fan of ICAN wheels and that is coming from a set of Enves.
Honestly I can't say how the frame is compared to others, as I have no point of reference, and this bike is so far off standard that I can't compare it to my road bikes in any way. The Lauf fork makes the bike sag outwards on sharper turns, and braking. It also affects how it feels to sprint out of the saddle. The combination is also dependent on the tire pressure I run, which is 30 PSI. Honestly, between the GRA-02 and the X-gravel, youre probably not going to feel much if not any difference. The frames at this price point are all pretty similar, pretty much go for tire clearance, rack/accessory mounts (gra02 has rack+fender), and looks. I personally dont like the assymentric chainstays of the x-gravel. The organic geometry also increases the likelyhood of manufacturing defects considerably. it might be worth it for the wider clearance though. The GRA-02 supports up to 42, and my 40s proves that it really does get pretty close. On clean roads, you might be able to fit slick 45s in there with a really true and centered wheel though.

dak

by dak

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:11 pm
dak wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:44 pm

Honestly I can't say how the frame is compared to others, as I have no point of reference, and this bike is so far off standard that I can't compare it to my road bikes in any way. The Lauf fork makes the bike sag outwards on sharper turns, and braking. It also affects how it feels to sprint out of the saddle. The combination is also dependent on the tire pressure I run, which is 30 PSI. Honestly, between the GRA-02 and the X-gravel, youre probably not going to feel much if not any difference. The frames at this price point are all pretty similar, pretty much go for tire clearance, rack/accessory mounts (gra02 has rack+fender), and looks. I personally dont like the assymentric chainstays of the x-gravel. The organic geometry also increases the likelyhood of manufacturing defects considerably. it might be worth it for the wider clearance though. The GRA-02 supports up to 42, and my 40s proves that it really does get pretty close. On clean roads, you might be able to fit slick 45s in there with a really true and centered wheel though.
awesome. thanks for the feedback
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

Arph

by Arph

Raaaaaad bike :) I am completely into overkill commuters, have one of my own (but nothing remotely close to this).

by Weenie