Practical Sub-5 On a Budget (4454g) - Officially Sub-10!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Someone might bite.... really slim pickings for SRAM Red mechanical stuff on Ebay right now

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

cheapvega wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 3:29 pm
Someone might bite.... really slim pickings for SRAM Red mechanical stuff on Ebay right now
Indeed... getting my own replacement was surprisingly hard. My old one came from taiwan for 155usd. I tried going used but i couldnt find anything on ebay or FB marketplace. My new one came from the same seller in taiwan, but the price had increased to 179usd due to shortages! Ridonculous

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cals

by Cals

Thanks @jpeterson1012 for the build, may i know where do you get the seatpost and combo. Been looking for a nice one and i think you found a gem

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Cals wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:53 pm
Thanks @jpeterson1012 for the build, may i know where do you get the seatpost and combo. Been looking for a nice one and i think you found a gem

Heres the seatpost and the saddle, cheers.
jpeterson1012 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:13 am
Arnomatic wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:57 am
Build looks amazing! Proper weenie and some good bang for your buck parts. Do you have a link to the seatpost?
Here is the link to the seatpost if the link is broken, google "Elita One carbon seatpost aliexpress" and you'll find it.

Here's the link to the saddle too :beerchug:

Osoi3900

by Osoi3900

Sick build! I'm really enjoying your build report and DIY tuning! That's what WW should be about.
I would love to see you take this beast under 4, I can see you are close.

All the best!

Osoi3900

by Osoi3900

Sorry to split this post, WW is doing wierd stuff to me today.....

Anyway just wanted to add that your spokes are very impressive! I had never seen such a thing before, what an awesome idea. I'm keen to know how these hold up (probably quite well from what I've been reading)
I also like your 1 by! That's the way to go, gets rid of a alot of weight.

Can't wait to see what weight you end up at!

prebsy

by prebsy

very wild build! Small place to lose weight on a budget are the skewers. J&L ti bolt on are about 27g , super cheap on ebay

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

prebsy wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:17 pm
very wild build! Small place to lose weight on a budget are the skewers. J&L ti bolt on are about 27g , super cheap on ebay
I've been eyeing those for a while, even before I bought my current ones. I just don't know what to torque them to, so I've been wary of actually buying them thus far.

prebsy

by prebsy

I've had a set for a while for WW projects and TT bikes. Good and tight is fine (guessing 5-7nm with my untrained hand), zero issues with them.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

jpeterson1012 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:22 pm
I've been eyeing those for a while, even before I bought my current ones. I just don't know what to torque them to, so I've been wary of actually buying them thus far.
I don't even use torque wrench on these, hand tight has been fine ever since I bought the skewers.

benando

by benando

That's a proper sweet build. I had no idea the ICAN A2 was that light.

Are 42cm bars negotiable? How about some FSA extralights in 40 or 38, with a bit of the ends of the drops cut off? Might save 25g

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

benando wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:06 pm
That's a proper sweet build. I had no idea the ICAN A2 was that light.

Are 42cm bars negotiable? How about some FSA extralights in 40 or 38, with a bit of the ends of the drops cut off? Might save 25g
Funny you should mention that, as I was trying to find a 40cm version of the bar at a down-to-earth price, and the only place I could find it was a little website pf questionable trustworthiness called gearona (only sold 12 items on a undesigned, default-af website), and even those were like 40 bucks more than the 42s from Amazon. All other examples of 40cm FSA extralights I could find were priced in the 280-300 USD as of my search.

My fitter actually assigned me to the 38-40cm c-c group, but having just come from a set of alloy 38's, I can say with confidence that the 42's just feel better on the palms. Even my first pair of 44's were better than those 38's. Wpuld 40's have been better? possibly, but I'm pretty satisfied with the 42s right now.

As for chopping the ends off them, that was on my to-do list, just forgot to do it during the install :facepalm: But as it turns out, I like where the drops are right now, so I'll leave the drops and the clearcoat as is until I find myself just short of hitting a goal. Gotta keep this a practical and enjoyable bike after all.

The big savings are still going to come from going 1x. I'm now considering either a 48T or 50T single chainring from Lightworks. 11-25 is a pretty small range in the back, and I almost never find myself spinning out the highest gear (currently 52/11). Nor do I find myself needing to go lower than 52/25 often either, Illinois is just that flat (remember, the small ring doesnt exist to me on this bike, as it's just inviting chain drops with this front combo lol)

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:49 am
I don't even use torque wrench on these, hand tight has been fine ever since I bought the skewers.
prebsy wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:12 pm
I've had a set for a while for WW projects and TT bikes. Good and tight is fine (guessing 5-7nm with my untrained hand), zero issues with them.
Great to know that you guys tried and vouch for them! I'll tag in a set the next time I order stuff for family members (gotta keep the build as low profile as possible lol)

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Jealous of your flat roads.... every time I do the math on going 1x the big dinner plate rear cassettes throw that plan out the window

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

History of the Weight Weener:
Weight Weener History.jpg
Here's a history of this weight weener build. Text in a column means the component has been upgraded during that "generation" As you can see, over 9 generations, the only parts that have stayed with me through thick and thin are the pedals :D

All in all, this bike has gone through enough components to build 3 bikes and some more :oops:

Note: The weights of some generations, as well as the components that go in them are estimated to the best of my memory, so the chart isn't 100% accurate in weights, but gets pretty close.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com