Practical Sub-5 On a Budget (4454g) - Officially Sub-10!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@jpeterson1012 the crankset in history doesn't match first post photos. Did you preorder a Skypivot too? Can't wait to receive mine. What chainrings do you plan to run for 1x?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Klaster_1 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:21 pm
@jpeterson1012 the crankset in history doesn't match first post photos. Did you preorder a Skypivot too? Can't wait to receive mine. What chainrings do you plan to run for 1x?
Gen 9 is upcoming, I've been in contact with Incolor, and will be placing an order once they start accepting them again. Chainring will be a narrow-wide 50T from Lightworks

easyv

by easyv

Any real reviews on the Skypivot cranks? Interesting alternative to the pricier THM and Lightning cranksets but with the limited production runs, not sure it's worth the hassle....

easyv

by easyv

Any update on the ride quality / durability of the Berd spokes?

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

easyv wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:48 am
Any real reviews on the Skypivot cranks? Interesting alternative to the pricier THM and Lightning cranksets but with the limited production runs, not sure it's worth the hassle....
There's a thread on WW for it, titled something like "Ultra light weight crankset from china" made by who I assume is a representative of Incolor. They're not exactly "limited production run" cranks, since they're constantly being churned out, just not at a high enough rate to meet demand. They are a small enthusiast workshop in china, known for their graphic design, paint jobs, and carbon repair. Having lived in Beijing for 9 years, I can tell you that shops like them are generally more trustworthy than your run-of-the-mill OEM frame manufacturer.
Last edited by jpeterson1012 on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arnomatic

by Arnomatic

Hey, thought I'd let you know I bought the same seatpost a few weeks ago when I left my comment and it arrived yesterday. Looks ace! Had to do a little sanding of the cradle to get it to sit flush in the post, but after cutting it down to the 220mm I needed for my frame it weighed only 109g!

I found the assembly a little fiddly, but I guess the weight sacrifices some practicality. Yet to see how it holds up on a ride but thought I'd send a thanks for the recommendation!

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Arnomatic wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:12 pm
Hey, thought I'd let you know I bought the same seatpost a few weeks ago when I left my comment and it arrived yesterday. Looks ace! Had to do a little sanding of the cradle to get it to sit flush in the post, but after cutting it down to the 220mm I needed for my frame it weighed only 109g!

I found the assembly a little fiddly, but I guess the weight sacrifices some practicality. Yet to see how it holds up on a ride but thought I'd send a thanks for the recommendation!
I've read bad things about the original yokes, that's why I just tossed them and ran with some ZRACE ones instead. Saved me 8 grams i think.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Put some Aerozine ultra light alloy pulleys in, saved 10g over the stock SRAM ones @12g. Also added a PYC SP-1101 chain @215g. Still waiting for Incolor to start taking orders again...

Currently sitting at 4942g.

prebsy

by prebsy

Idk how light you expect the skypivot to be / how long you have to wait for it, but since you are running pf30 sram exogram is always a good option. i got my sram bb30 exogram down to 477g just by swapping the big ring to a TA syrius.

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

prebsy wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:55 pm
Idk how light you expect the skypivot to be / how long you have to wait for it, but since you are running pf30 sram exogram is always a good option. i got my sram bb30 exogram down to 477g just by swapping the big ring to a TA syrius.
Based on their claimed weights, skypivot + spider + chainring + chainring bolts should be sub-400g at around 393.

HumanReason

by HumanReason

Very much considering a similar wheel build to yours. Did you pickup the rims via aliexpress?

What was the install of the rope spokes like?

MichaelK

by MichaelK

HumanReason wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:32 am
Very much considering a similar wheel build to yours. Did you pickup the rims via aliexpress?

jpeterson posted the wheelset in their own thread a while back

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=162757

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

HumanReason wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:32 am

The rims were purchased direction from Farsports, as it's not listed on their site/stores (meant for OEMs, sorta.) You probably dont have to dremel a new hub, maybe some fine 2000 grit sandpaper. If the hubs have been laced before and the flange holes are deformed from the J-bend, you'd probably have to dremel the holes (I would think twice on a used extralite hub, as that's more material you'd have to remove to get it smooth).

izzo

by izzo

Hi
Great stuff for us noobs at weight shaving! I am building myself a budget light bike also,.. I will start at around sub 7kg figure :) because of price limitations.
My question would be for the carbon seat post, how do you shorten/cut it? And how much minimum cm of it must stay inside the frame for aprox 75 kg rider to be on safe side (working towards 70 of course :) )
And for the chain, would 11 speed PYC super lightsp1101 chain work on my 10 speed system or i need heavier sp1001?

thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

izzo wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:11 pm
My question would be for the carbon seat post, how do you shorten/cut it?
And for the chain, would 11 speed PYC super lightsp1101 chain work on my 10 speed system or i need heavier sp1001?
if your seatpost is uncut, mark where the seat collar clamp is right now using a piece of tape, pull it out of the frame, measure what the minimum insert is that's written/etched on it, apply that length from your tape mark, take a hacksaw and (optional) mitre box, hack away :). depending on model, min insert is usually 7-9cm. Some people like to cut at a 45deg angle for even more weight shaving. I actually left 2 extra cm in case i needed to adkust based on pedals, shoes, etc.

As for chains, one speed higher is typically ok.

glhf!