Practical Sub-5 On a Budget (4454g) - Officially Sub-10!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

So the custom 1x chainring I made has arrived. It turned out a very dark purplish-red rather than greenish brown :shock: :shock: to their credit it is hard to manage colors on hardcoat anodizing. By going 1x, I removed:

- FD + Chain catcher (84g)
- FD Hanger + Bolts (14g)
- Cable Housing + Barrel Adjuster (21g)
- Cable (9g)
- Shifter Internals (37g)
- Small Chainring + Bolts (41g)

Original Chainring Weight was 114g. New chainring weight is 125g, exactly as calculated according to my CAD model (I forgot to take a picture).

now 4746g.

I'll get some better pictures uploaded later, when the lighting is better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Osoi3900

by Osoi3900

Nice one!
Welcome to the 1x club
Feels good to get rid of that ballast doesn't it?

jpeterson1012

by jpeterson1012

Osoi3900 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:35 am
Nice one!
Welcome to the 1x club
Feels good to get rid of that ballast doesn't it?
That it does! I'm not a small ring user to begin with, so it was really just dead weight I was hauling around.

IvanZg

by IvanZg

They almost managed to colour match your cable housing/skewer ends to the chain ring. :D

HumanReason

by HumanReason

It does kinda match with the housing and other pink accents. I'd say call it a happy accident. Its looking really awesome!

ntkt

by ntkt

Looks good nothing wrong with the slight purple hue.

smellymcfatfats

by smellymcfatfats

Beautiful and detailed build!

I'm really loving everything except for the platforms. Do you ride in tennis shoes?

speedkillz

by speedkillz

Impressively light bike!

StanK

by StanK

I also tried to weigh the bike that way (top tube on small, precise kitchen scale) but it showed less weight than it actually is. I don't recall it exactlly (it was a couple of years back) but I think 100 to maybe 200 grams. Not more, that's for sure.
It wasn’t until I set the “nose” of the seat to press on the scales that I got the correct weight, although even then I had to play with bike on the scales. Unfortunately, the largest number shown is always the most accurate.

My reference was a hanging XLC scale in my LBS, and it wasn’t until I got the same results at home that I knew I had found a way to “replace” the one in the LBS with my precision kitchen scale.

I mean, I don't want to spoil the party, but I hope you weighed your bike somewhere else, on a good hanging scale or something similar. Or it may be that your kitchen scale or top tube is more suitable for such weighing (than mine).

Lucendi

by Lucendi

The method of weighing a bike with the top tube placed on a kitchen scale (on a perfectly level surface) can be a reliable method, but it requires you to place the center of mass on the middle of the scale. With the top tube horizontal you can use the sliding fingers method to find the center off mass, and you want to place something between the scale and bike like an eraser or something.
Last edited by Lucendi on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StanK

by StanK

I'm not convince with that either :) Eraser is soft, at least more softer than soft plastic and therefore can "soak" some weight.

When I got new wheels (two years ago) I weighed in a similar way, with a softer plastic cover between wheels and scale. I only got real weight when I put a tin pot in between instead of a plastic cover. Truth be told, the difference was not big, but 15-20 grams "disappeared". Approx. 1,5% of weight.
Reason is, tin that solid is actually piece of steel, therefore, not a minimal softness, "soak" posible.

Sorry on OT, I really don’t want to go any further with this, I just wanted to point on a possible, not certain problem here.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

You do realize that the eraser is ontop the scale and not below it right?

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Yea physics don't work that way man. You tare out the weight of the eraser and wait for the bike to settle on it. From what I've seen table top scales have more precision than hanging scales. I will grab one for my next build.

StanK

by StanK

cheapvega wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:48 pm
... From what I've seen table top scales have more precision than hanging scales...
That is my observation too, and there are several reasons for that.

But it’s also harder to always get the same readings, because it’s harder to put a big thing (like wheels or a frame or an entire bike) ideally on a scale to “sit” at full weight. The smaller the scale, the problem is bigger.
I usually have to put the bike on the scales 5-10 times until I get several of the same readings.
If I want to be accurate to the gram. And I want to.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Wow, just looking at this build now... this build is awesome and I like the photography skills too. Crazy how this is a sub $4k build, considering many boutique frames alone cost that much. I appreciate the practicality.