Wilier Jena

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Omiar

by Omiar

After selling my FS MTB a few years ago, I needed something to have fun in the off season. So I got a Wilier Jena.
Its certainly not WW but maybe WWs like a bit more gravel than we currently have on the forum.

Went for the black version as grinding on the gravel will make some battle scars and it was the only one in stock.
The parts setup is not what I prefer but this can be changed. Im actually torn between going Di2 or not. I don't like the long shift throw on the Shimano mechnical shifters.
Also, the seat post will be probably have to be changed for a less setback one but I might be on the wrong path here.

I do like the Ritchey parts on it - seatpost, stem, handlebar. Good quality stuff with subtle graphics.
Tires are tubeless compatible but they don't come as tubeless. Wilier doesn't even include tubeless valves which is a bit sad. Fortunately I have some personal stock on these.

Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

Omiar

by Omiar

So, the bike weighted 8,49kg (without tubes). Quite respectable for that spec.

I've done about 1000km in one month on it now. How does it ride? The front end is quick enough for some cyclocross sections but its still very easy to steer without touching the handlebar. You can really hammer it through loose gravel sections with comfort and on tarmac, it feels like endurance road bike.
Although I don't have much to compare with at the moment - I tried the Scott Addict Gravel in 2019 for only 100km and I currently don't have any other bike - but there is nothing negative I can tell until now.

The handlebar is comfortable but I think I will go for a narrower one. I rarely ride on the drops and when I do, its a smooth road. Any other situation I'm on the hoods or flats.

One small problem is the rear der hanger. The way Wilier has designed it, allows it to move when the rear axle is not present. Its only mounted with one screw, so the hanger can pivot on that screw because the shape of the hanger allows it to move a bit. So when you try to insert the axle, you discover that the der hanger is not aligned with the dropout holes.

Also, case if anyone is interested, any Stages/4iiii like crank type powermeters don't fit. They won't clear the non drive side chainstay.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gSporco

by gSporco

Beautiful Jena!.. not enough of them here on the forum.. I have an Aspero, but the Jena was on the short list.. If I could have seen it in person first it may have been my first choice..
@gSporco - Instagram
Specialized Aethos
State All Road 6061
Retired Cervelo Aspero

nycebo

by nycebo

Omiar, thanks for this great review. I'm very keen to get a Jena as well. Like the familiar reach with a taller stack. Much appreciate the info on the Stages power meter. It was something I might have considered but now won't bother. Frankly, my gravel riding is mostly easy recreation anyway. Now, if I could only track down a frameset!

pritish8287

by pritish8287

@nycebo

WHen you say, "looking for frameset", are you meaning Jena frameset in particular? Check this out:
https://www.wrenchscience.com/cyclocros ... gLNKvD_BwE

Meanwhle, Wilier's official website says 2200 euros for the frameset:
https://wilier.com/en/my2021/int/endura ... bikes/jena

Vik61

by Vik61

Does anybody knows the real frame & fork weight?
Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

Omiar

by Omiar

Vik61 wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:20 pm
Does anybody knows the real frame & fork weight?
I didn't have the chance to weight the frame or fork, but the whole bike was reasonably light for the medium level spec.
This suggest that the advertised weights by Wilier should be accurate.

I sold the bike a few weeks ago. Mainly due to the fact that switching between road and gravel made me want lower stack and shorter reach.

Vik61

by Vik61

Omiar, thanks!
Is frame stiff at bb when pedaling hard? Can you compare to cadale?
Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

Omiar

by Omiar

SystemSix is of course at another level, but the Wilier is good also. I did a gravel race in Auguest where I did finish sprints with speeds between 42-49kph and I certainly didn't hold me back.

Vik61

by Vik61

My kind of blues ))
7,8 kg with XTR pedals, bottle cage, garmin mount.

Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

cure

by cure

Vik61 wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:28 am
My kind of blues ))
7,8 kg with XTR pedals, bottle cage, garmin mount.

were you able to preorder one yet?
i love udon.

Vik61

by Vik61

cure wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:31 pm
We still have a several new bikes at Moscow local shop. But that one not new, used and after customized especially for me.
Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

cure

by cure

Vik61 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:13 pm
cure wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:31 pm
We still have a several new bikes at Moscow local shop. But that one not new, used and after customized especially for me.
i've put in an order but won't be available until march 2022...
may i ask if you have 140mm or 160mm front and rear? i'm wondering if i can use 140mm since i'm pretty lightweight and no need for 160mm.
i love udon.

Vik61

by Vik61

cure wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:59 pm
i've put in an order but won't be available until march 2022...
may i ask if you have 140mm or 160mm front and rear? i'm wondering if i can use 140mm since i'm pretty lightweight and no need for 160mm.
Hi! You can't use a 140mm rear. Only 160 available, it's frame specific design. That's way you need to use 160 at front to.
Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

Vik61

by Vik61

At last repainted!
-120 gr for frameset
"Potal" decals + clear glossy coat.

Canyon Grizl
Trek Supercaliber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓