S-Works Epic Evo 2021

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

niklasp

by niklasp

Nice colour! The orange one ain't as pretty...
Frame weight is awesome. My epic 2021 S-works is a couple of hundred grams more on my scale... Not a evo.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Honestly not that happy with the frame weight nor the color. I would think that this color would be significantly lighter than the green, yet this build from fairwheel has a frame weight than is 3g lighter than mine for the same size.

Although somewhat impressive, that article and build are a little suspicious, Fairwheel didn't include any weight for sealant or air. Is that really what it takes to get a headline article? Anyways, if I measure the same way they do, I should be 40g or so heavier than that build when I get my Roval Control SLs and Sid Ultimate. I would be significantly under that weight if I also switched to a weight weenie stem such as the MCFK they used and E*13 XCX Cranks but I'm not a fan of those. I like how the XX1 cranks use the same bottom bracket for all my bikes and am considering a Sigeyi power meter upgrade. I will be trying out the 22g Lizard Skins DSP grips that they used though, I didn't realize that was such a light option.

Current weight is 10,258g. :oops: Scale photo

There is a lot of potential weight saving left with compromising the ability of the bike by switching to a super WW cockpit such as a Gemini Propus or getting lighter brakes such as Trickstuff Piccolas. Unless someone wants to send me a set, neither one of those is going to happen with my teenage budget. So basically done for now other than switching to some different bottle cages and those grips, maybe that Sigeyi power meter but probably not. Obviously will be switching to the Control SLs and SID Ultimate when those show up. I'm also getting to test out an oval chainring curtesy of AbsoluteBLACK from my workplace which should be cool.

I'll get my photographer friends to take real photos when they come from college but this will do for now!
A special thanks to Ant from Mt. Zoom, Suki from Bike Yoke, Jure from Berk, and of course TonyTourist.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

I'm a real 1 :thanx:

godzuki26

by godzuki26

That’s a bad ass build! It came out really nice👍 The colorway is actually very unique and really freaking cool 😎
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

AnkitS

by AnkitS

godzuki26 wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:26 am
That’s a bad ass build! It came out really nice👍 The colorway is actually very unique and really freaking cool 😎
Ha in your face dudemanppl, I got the godzuki comment of approval and we both know that's what really matters.
Your opinion is just wrong, sorry Tommy, Godzukis word is final. :podium:

Also, ignore the chain in the photo above, the b-tension hadn't been set for this derailleur hanger or frame.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Looks sick, for tires if you dont need the protection, Maxis Aspen in just the TR version come in at 590g, those are the best the tires i have ridden

boots2000

by boots2000

I owuld just add those SL wheels and sit tight with the cockpit. Epsecially if you like it. Maybe that Enve 1 piece cockpit will be a winner for you-

mtbikingmike

by mtbikingmike

Hey, love the Epic Evo build. It's on my new bike list, probably top of it. Can I ask what size you went for? I'm 5'6"/5'7" on a good day. They seem to have small frames in stock in the UK. Looked at a medium Epic S-Works in the concept store in Harrogate and it felt too long. Have you tried a 2021 Epic? Curious to know what the feel/clunk(?) of the new brain is like. The look of the front end of the Epic with just two cables (with Axs kit) was appealing.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Mike - It's a small, realistically I would get a medium next time with a shorter stem. I'm 165cm tall and my saddle height is 670mm from center of bb to top of saddle. It just feels really upright and the difference in stack isn't that much. I tried the 2020 epic as well as 2021, only fooling around the block and not on any trails.
The "clunk" on the 2021 brains is definitely less noticeable but still there. I wouldn't consider any bike with brain though. Maybe you should consider pm'ing hgw20, he has 2021 with axs.

In other news, my Control SLs were finally released from their hostage status in Utah.

Annoyingly the bike shop didn't have any of the tires that I wanted, S-Works Ground Control upfront with S-Works Fast Trak in the rear, 2.3in. So the wheels are currently wearing 2.3 Ground Controls front and rear, in the stupid heavy control casing.

Also, installed the PM, it needed chainring spacers because the chain line was a bit off causing a shit ton of noise in the 50t. It wasn't pleasant.

Here's the updated weight spreadsheet, I'll clean her up when I get the Sid Ultimate and take some photos for you all. Oh bottle cages were changed to arundel as well.

robbosmans - I didn't feel like the ardent race/ikon setup was enough grip for the riding I'm doing. I think I will stick to Ground Control/Fast Trak for the foreseeable future, S-Works casing for racing and control casing for trail riding. Tires are not something I feel comfortable compromising on, especially when this build has pretty much no other major compromises as it is. (other than the shit tier eggbeaters)

stoney

by stoney

Nice build! :thumbup:

liketoride

by liketoride

What size ab ring is that? 501g for pm crank and ring is amazing

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

icantaffordcycling: do you have any idea how frame clearance is for sigeyi vs quarq?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

robbosmans - I didn't feel like the ardent race/ikon setup was enough grip for the riding I'm doing. I think I will stick to Ground Control/Fast Trak for the foreseeable future, S-Works casing for racing and control casing for trail riding. Tires are not something I feel comfortable compromising on, especially when this build has pretty much no other major compromises as it is. (other than the shit tier eggbeaters)
Tires is something personal and is entirely decided on the place you live, in Belgium I can get away with Maxxis Aspen (Summer), Maxxis Ardent (Winter) with no extra casing. But the terrain doesn’t have any rocks.

Tire pressure is still the single most important thing.

02GF74

by 02GF74

Circa 9.8kg for FS with dropper post and 12 spd gear is pretty good. Have to say I don't like the paintwork.

prebsy

by prebsy

icac- given how you are building up this bike any reason why you went for the epic evo over the the epic frameset? I personally love the paint job and that syntace flatforce is going to look great with the new fork (sans donut holder).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com