2021 Emonda SL5 revamp - Crashed and now a SLR

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Purchased this as a SL5 full bike and then moved all of my parts over from my existing Emonda ALR Disk, i then purchased a carbon seat mast to replace the alloy version the bike came with, immediately saving 100 grams.

Fully built as you can see in the picture the bike weight 7.6kg. I know there has been some comments about these new bikes being heavier than they should be but i am personally very pleased with the weight. Over 400 miles clocked up already on the bike and I am very pleased, its stiff and very responsive, the handling is very good and i love the H1.5 geometry. My only slight complaint would be that it isn’t very smooth. It rattles over rough road and you do feel most of the roads imperfections but I feel as a bike designed for racing this is to be expected to some degree.

Build List:
Emonda SL5 2021 54 Frame and seat mast.
Bontrager XXX Aero Bars
Fizik R1 Stem.
Ultegra Di2 Shifters.
DuraAce Power Chainset.
Ultegra mechs, chain and cassette.
FFWD F4D Wheels with DT240 Hubs.
Time Xpresso 10 pedals
Maxxis High Road Tubless 25mm Tyres.
Fizik Antares 00 Saddle.
Absoloute Black 54/36 Chainrings.
Topeak Carbon Cages.

Last edited by PlumzRichard on Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

robeambro

by robeambro

PlumzRichard wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:32 pm
Purchased this as a SL5 full bike and then moved all of my parts over from my existing Emonda ALR Disk, i then purchased a carbon seat mast to replace the alloy version the bike came with, immediately saving 100 grams.

Fully built as you can see in the picture the bike weight 7.6kg. I know there has been some comments about these new bikes being heavier than they should be but i am personally very pleased with the weight. Over 400 miles clocked up already on the bike and I am very pleased, its stiff and very responsive, the handling is very good and i love the H1.5 geometry. My only slight complaint would be that it isn’t very smooth. It rattles over rough road and you do feel most of the roads imperfections but I feel as a bike designed for racing this is to be expected to some degree.

Build List:
Bontrager XXX Aero Bars
Fizik R1 Stem.
Ultegra Di2 Shifters.
DuraAce Power Chainset.
Time Xpresso 10 pedals
Fizik Antares 00 Saddle.
Topeak Carbon Cages.
Nice bike :thumbup:

Do you feel like it's less smooth even than the ALR? Considering I have one SLR frame on order, I'm somewhat afraid that the ride might not be as comfy as I hoped. Not that I was hoping for a magic carpet ride, but something in line with other race bikes such as the Tarmac / SS Evo / etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Are some of these modern day carbon frames that harsh??

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

George46GR

by George46GR

Could you please post a quick review of the pedals? I condider the Time xPresso 12. Thanks. Enjoy your bike.
2023 Cervelo S5, size 56, sapphire/ice

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

My ALR was smother granted but it also wasn’t as stiff, handled as well or accelerated anything like this SL does. It’s always a trade off in think between and i feel one they got mostly right. This is a race bike so it’s to be expected, if you’re looking for comfort then the Domane is what you need.

XPRO 12's are good as a whole. The cleat / pedal plate interface can sometimes squeak during use but nothing that a spray of some PTFE lube or even a squirt from your bottle doesn’t resolve. They use needle bearing on the axles and therefore there is always some inherent play in the pedal axle, that’s a bit of a shame but they are light and give a great feeling platform.

req110

by req110

Xpresso 12 are the worst pedals i've ever had.
They squeak very quickly.
Cleats has extremely short life.
My friend has broken the thread of pedal and crashed.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

KCookie

by KCookie

I have 3 sets of Xpresso pedals. A sqirt from a can of cleat spray and silent free.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

I had 2 different sents of xpresso (6 and 10) and I now have xpro 10. No squeaking in my case. If you can find xpresso 12 at a good price go for them. Very light, nice big platform, nice ergonomic float, and iclic engagement mechanism is awesome.

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

I hear so many people say that the cleats wear out quickly, i have never found this. Granted i have 3 sets of shoes that i use regularly so wear is spread relatively evenly but i replace the cleats roughly once a year on each set of shoes. Yearly milage is around 15,000 miles. Seems fair to me.

jeffy

by jeffy

useful post. quite fancy one of these

erodus

by erodus

Very nice bike, very clean.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

efixler

by efixler

As I understand it, the wear issue with the cleats relates more to the walking surface than the pedal contact surface, and the newer iClic cleats are supposed to resolve this issue.

I haven’t had a problem with them, and I just switched to one of the newer cleats so don’t take any of this as authoritative.

I do love the pedals, however :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dierckxsens

by dierckxsens

PlumzRichard wrote:Purchased this as a SL5 full bike and then moved all of my parts over from my existing Emonda ALR Disk, i then purchased a carbon seat mast to replace the alloy version the bike came with, immediately saving 100 grams.

Build List:
Bontrager XXX Aero Bars
Fizik R1 Stem.
Ultegra Di2 Shifters.
DuraAce Power Chainset.
Time Xpresso 10 pedals
Fizik Antares 00 Saddle.
Topeak Carbon Cages.

Thanks for your post, also considering a similar build and just found and did a test ride on a silver SL5 at my lbs. The one I tried had some cable rattle noise from inside the frame, anything you have experienced?

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Cable rattle???? And that's why u wouldn't buy a bike?

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

dierckxsens

by dierckxsens

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:Cable rattle???? And that's why u wouldn't buy a bike?

Of cause not, know how to fix it Image just found it odd on a ots bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com