2021 Emonda SL5 revamp - Crashed and now a SLR

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

No cant say i have heard any cable rattle above what i would expect, however i am running DI2 so limited actual "cables" in the frame.

athletic91

by athletic91

would like to know how the long internal di2 battery fitted in, is it necessary to buy trek internal battery holder?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Yes i just used the Trek battery holder. Holds the battery on the inside of the seat mast, works really well and costs barely anything.

dierckxsens

by dierckxsens

Had my Quicksilver SL5 delivered last week, so far love the geometry, look and feel.

Changes so far:
50-34 chainrings swapped to 52-36 by the lbs
Carbon seat mast from my old domane
Fizik Aliante R1 size L
DT Swiss c1800 wheels from my CX bike
Ultegra 11-25 casette
Bontrager R3 28mm tyres
Conti supersonic tubes
Speedplay zero with j&b titanium spindles and plates

Upcoming:
Aero wheels once I find the right ones, 40-50mm since I live in a flat area.
Need a wider handlebar, considering integrated if I can find the right option that can hide the cables and I'm willing to pay

Weight and pictures to follow, ideas are welcome

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jencvo

by jencvo

PlumzRichard wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:32 pm
Purchased this as a SL5 full bike and then moved all of my parts over from my existing Emonda ALR Disk, i then purchased a carbon seat mast to replace the alloy version the bike came with, immediately saving 100 grams.

Fully built as you can see in the picture the bike weight 7.6kg. I know there has been some comments about these new bikes being heavier than they should be but i am personally very pleased with the weight. Over 400 miles clocked up already on the bike and I am very pleased, its stiff and very responsive, the handling is very good and i love the H1.5 geometry. My only slight complaint would be that it isn’t very smooth. It rattles over rough road and you do feel most of the roads imperfections but I feel as a bike designed for racing this is to be expected to some degree.

Build List:
Emonda SL5 2021 54 Frame and seat mast.
Bontrager XXX Aero Bars
Fizik R1 Stem.
Ultegra Di2 Shifters.
DuraAce Power Chainset.
Ultegra mechs, chain and cassette.
FFWD F4D Wheels with DT240 Hubs.
Time Xpresso 10 pedals
Maxxis High Road Tubless 25mm Tyres.
Fizik Antares 00 Saddle.
Absoloute Black 54/36 Chainrings.
Topeak Carbon Cages.
I find it interesting how yours is 500 grams lighter than mine. I know it's size 54 vs 60 but I still somehow logged that weight. I posted photos and build on pages 80 and 81 here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161653&start=1200. Any idea to swap to get the weight down that much?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Without the benefit of a side-by-side comparison, two fundamental things are different between the bikes: size & paint. Regarding size, it's simple: bigger bike, more material. Regarding paint, it's trickier. His bike may only have three coats (base white (or black)/silver/clear) whereas yours likely has a fourth coat (base white/blue/red/clear). I'm not sure what Trek's painting methods are for the SL frames (do they completely paint the bike in red or blue, before masking and hitting it with a coat of the other color?), but between those two factors, you're looking at possibly 200+g of difference - the rest comes down to component selection.

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Just updated with Xpro 12 pedals and the FFWD RAW Wheels with Pirelli Pzero Race TLR 26mm Tyres. Weight now 7.5kg. Few updates planned for the off season including the Bontrager Integrated Bar and Stem, CBear Jockey Wheels and a new saddle (cant speak about that just yet). that will easily drop the weight to 7.4 KG and at that point i am happy with the weight for this bike especially given its still Ultegra chain and cassette but due to usage i dont plan on moving away from that.

Tomzander

by Tomzander

Looks great!

DadStuff

by DadStuff

I have this bike. Haven't yet ventured into weight reduction but I am looking forward to it. Does anyone have a measured weight of the Bontrager wheels that came with? I've seen them listed at around 1600g f+r and I have also seen them posted around 2100g f+r.

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Some 77mm wheels on just for the past weekend's local 10 TT, the bike felt fantastic with them and I am actually now tempted to get a set for next summer for a bit of fun. Don't ask for the weight! ;)

CAAD997

by CAAD997

PlumzRichard wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:21 pm
Some 77mm wheels on just for the past weekend's local 10 TT, the bike felt fantastic with them and I am actually now tempted to get a set for next summer for a bit of fun. Don't ask for the weight! ;)

Nice looking SL5!!!
Two wheelers rock!

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Bike looks awesome!
what height is the saddle at and what are the dimensions of the rsl cockpit?

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

Back in March i dug the SL out for the first race of the season, I had spent the winter stripping it down, replacing parts and servicing it so it would be ready for summer, first race was on the Saturday and that went well and I was buzzing to be of the winter bike and back on the SL, the following morning I got up early and went out before a day of family duties. I was only out about 30 minutes when I was travelling down hill at around 40mph, it was still early so sun was only just raising but I just remember seeing this Deer run out from the bushes, it all happened within a split second and I had no time to react.

I hit the deer head on sending me flying over the bars and sliding down the road, the Deer was dead near enough straight away and I was left in a real state, I honestly believe that my ABUS Gamechanger saved my life that day. The bike wasn't so lucky and was snapped near enough clean in two.

Thankfully the bike was insured under my house insurance, the company I used was fantastic and within 3 weeks they had sent me a bank transfer for the full value of the bike, really can't complain at all.

Then I was very fortunate to get my hands on one of the last SLR framesets available in the UK for some time. So the SL is now a SLR...

spokenwords

by spokenwords

What a traumatic way to upgrade. Happy that insurance responded and you recovered. Beautiful bike.
I knew you were not in the States when you talked about how quickly the insurance worked out. lol
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PlumzRichard

by PlumzRichard

spokenwords wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:11 pm
What a traumatic way to upgrade. Happy that insurance responded and you recovered. Beautiful bike.
I knew you were not in the States when you talked about how quickly the insurance worked out. lol
I wasn't expecting the insurance to pay out, I had never insured the bike for accidental damage, purely for theft. It wasn't until I was lying in hospital after the incident that I decided to read the small print and sure enough accidental damage was covered in the policy I had opted for. It's funny as I had never thought of insuring the bike for an incident like this but when it happens you realise your pride and joy worth 8k+ is now gone.

It's safe to say that from now on all my bikes are insured for accidental damage and theft.