DengFu FM208 build (7.095kg)- no more WW.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Change log:

Starting weight- 6.65kg
9/10/20- New wheels + tires (-260g), Wahoo mount (+25g)
9/20/20- CF bottle cages + ZTTO 11-34 cassette (-135g)
10/10/20- AliExpress "Speedplay" Tis (-120g)
10/27/20- J&L seatpost clamp (-20g)
12/23/20- AE top cap (-29g)
5/22/21- 1x conversion + 80g AE saddle (-111g- still need to pull cable & remove housings)
10/3/2022- WW white flag waved. (+1.095kg!)

Current weight- 6.000kg

Initial buils:

Build sheet (some smaller stuff is from spec sheets):

Here's where I'm seeing opportunities I can make in a couple of months:

Haven't ridden this bike yet so I'm not gonna swap the frame any time soon, though I would eventually like to get an old Izalco Max. I am also thinking about titanium hardware though I'm open to hear if it's worth it. I'm also seeing much lighter pedals like the Speedplay Tis, but they seem to come with a lot of compromises. Something like a set of DA pedals seems like a reasonable compromise.

Overall I'm excited to ride this once I heal up from surgery (nothing serious, it was elective). And I'm definitely looking forward to riding it in its final form. This is my first WW build so any suggestions or comments are welcome.
Last edited by cheapvega on Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 13 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beancouter

by Beancouter

You’re about right on your short list. That said the gp tyres should be about 210g - if you add tubolito inner tunes at about 35g, you should save Around 150g with the original clinchers.

Beyond that, if you have a round seatpost,should save about 80g on something straight through.

Pedal wise, you can find some speed play type pedals on AliExpress at 69g each - well priced at about $75. I have them on my best bike and so far so good.

With the skewers, seatpost, pedals and inner tubes should save about 500g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Beancouter wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:31 pm
You’re about right on your short list. That said the gp tyres should be about 210g - if you add tubolito inner tunes at about 35g, you should save Around 150g with the original clinchers.

Beyond that, if you have a round seatpost,should save about 80g on something straight through.

Pedal wise, you can find some speed play type pedals on AliExpress at 69g each - well priced at about $75. I have them on my best bike and so far so good.

With the skewers, seatpost, pedals and inner tubes should save about 500g

Wow, great suggestions! What do you mean by a "straight through" seatpost? It's a regular round 27.2 with a setback. All the clamping hardware is heavy steel though.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Something like this Image

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

You can also easily win 30 gr if you change seat collar

kidrob

by kidrob

^^Hylix Carbon Seatpost, you'll find these on Ebay. Get sure you get the Ultra light version, costs about 59 bucks and is about 130-150g. Depending on manufacturer there are also pre-cut versions. Just got myself one, and these are amazing!

PS: nice bike!

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Stage 1 bundle (Tubolitos, skewers, China mystery meat 13x g seatpost & pedals) is on its way. That last ~110g to get well under 6kg is tough. Frameset + groupset are non negotiable for the next 1-2 yrs. Current wheelset will be about 1900g w/tires which seems like the floor for clinchers/tubeless (esp w/any kind of rim depth). So I will probably use the proceeds from another bike sale to go tubular + get some rim depth. Hopefully the gumwalls won't add too much weight to the tires as thats key for me.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Some updates....

Like I said the tubes, skewers, pedals and seatpost came in. Tubes and skewers weighed what they were supposed to. Seatpost and pedals were about 10-15g heavier than specced. Big issue was I could not clip into the damn pedals, so I went back to my plumbing pipe metal 300g SPDs just to ride the bike. I even got Speedlite cleats to see if that would help.... no dice.

Went for the maiden shakedown ride. Bike feels amazing! So much snappier and rigid than my 06 S-Works Roubaix, but also more supple, even with the straight up seatpost and carbon saddle. On the fence about the carbon saddle honestly. It's not uncomfortable, but it's too slippery. I don't think a matte finish would help either. Needs a cover. Only thing to fix is the trim on the derailleurs. The rear derailleur should be OK. The front is kind of problematic. I feel like the ZTTO cassette is too wide, so to get the chain to go on both big rings the derailleur can't get to the right far enough to make a positive shift. I have an... Ultegra?.... cassette I might swap over.

Honestly, bike feels so good I'm not so hot on spending $1400 or so on a Kaze tubular wheelset with tires. I'm seeing a 1150g tubular wheelset for $400... much more palatable. If I can figure out how to get these China Speedplays and cut my seatpost down a little bit I should be able to get under 6kg for a lot less money. Right now though I'm just stoked to enjoy the bike.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Some updates...

Bike is currently sitting at 6.66 kg. Never did put those Tubolitos in. Instead I got those wheels (1165g) and some gumwall Tufo 25mm tubulars (250g/tire). WW math says those should take 325g off. I am still looking for some lighter pedals. It's probably better that the fake Speedplays didn't work out- didn't realize titanium spindles had a weight limit, which I am a good bit over. Torn between finding some Xpedos or getting some CrMo Speedplays and putting the titanium bowties on them. Either way that should save another 100g or so. I think I can find some savings in the drivetrain as well- moving to a 46/30 chainring set and an 11-30 or 11-28 cassette would work for my rides, though I don't think there are any 46/30 chainrings as light or lighter than my Extralites. So maybe another 100g there if I can find the right chainrings. Extralite shift quality sucks so there's some justification there.

So like 525g potentially? That last 134g is tough. I might cut my seatpost, but I've heard mixed things about that. I should have got the wheels with SDR hubs... that would have made going 1x more feasible. As is though, next step is to just get the tubulars mounted and enjoy the bike for a bit. Once I get those on I will post some pictures.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Hi, try new skewers for an easy and hassle free weight saver
J&L skewers 36g for the pair, fairly cheap and very usable
I Read through your posts and noticed you'd planned to buy new skewers but not whether you had
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Thanks, I should have got those.... I am on a 45g set of Alibaba Ti skewers. If I get the Speedplay pedals I will go with J&L's bowties though.

cheapvega

by cheapvega

Sitting at 6.58kg even as shown :oops:

I goofed a bit with the wheels. The old wheelset with tires measured at 2kg even. New 38mm deep tubular wheels weighed in at 1160g, and Tufo S3 25mms weighed in at 255g a pop (lower than specced weight!). Problem is I used Tufo's tape, which came it at 35g/wheel. So that's 1740g or -260g saved. Could have saved another 50g or so with Caden tape. Oh well. Mounting them was straightforward but murder on my fingers. Just had to take my time and make slow steady progress. Probably took an hour on each wheel from start to finish.

Other sources of weight gain:

ZTTO 11-34T -------> Ultegra 11-34T- ~+100g- I had to do it, the ZTTO is crap. The 11T gear is warped :roll: And I just couldn't get it to shift right. Seems like the cassette is offset inboard, but if I space it out I can't get the lockring on. Ultegra worked beautifully with a quick RD tune up.
Cheapo cast iron bottle cage ------> +85g- I need to hydrate. I have some CF ones on the way which should save about 40g.
Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt + mount ----> ~+120g- a much enjoyed addition. Worth every gram, especially to protect my phone.

Still thinking of a path to get under 6kg without going exotic. Weight with 1 CF bottle cage and the Bolt not mounted (what I'll call "official weight" since I only ride with 1 bottle cage now) should be in the high 6.4s... call it 6.48kg

CrMo or w/e spindle pedals: -100g, 6.38kg
Cut seatpost: -30g, 6.35kg
FSA expander plug ----> Cane Creek EE plug: -25g, 6.15kg

That last 160g (to get fully under) will be a pain. I will have to look at my rides to see how badly I really need 34x34. I'm locked at 34T for the small chainring, but for my local roads I only need 34T on the back when I'm completely dead. Switching to a Dura Ace 11-30T would save about 120g alone. I would probably switch to a 44 or 46T for the big ring. So that would leave about 40-45g.... maybe I could switch to lighter tape? Again that damn Caden tape would have got me that much closer!!! Maybe some lighter stem spacers? I'm in the weeds at this point.

Just going to enjoy the bike for now though; absolutely loving it. It rides amazing. Only issue is the Extralite 50T shifts kind of finicky, which would be another reason to get a smaller big ring with better shift quality. I'm not ready to get a Darimo stem or w/e but I could rationalize something like a Fiberlyte chainring.

Anyway, here she sits:

Primera23

by Primera23

at a certain point you will have to look for marginal gains. But if you add those up, you'll save some grams. Things I can still think off:
replace all bolts by titanium ones. Cage bolts can be aluminium. Top cap and bolt will still save you some. jockey wheels also some gains. lighter seat clamp maybe?

cheapvega

by cheapvega

I think I found a path:

Cut seatpost- ~30-40g
Drillium my saddle- 20-30g
Extralite 80mm stem- 60g
Cane Creek EE plug- 27g
11-30T DA cassette- 140g
Caden tire tape- 52g
Lighter pedals- 100g
Carbon bottle gage- 60g

I think that's 550g.... my spreadsheet is showing that getting the bike to 5997g.

jbaillie

by jbaillie

I've had my eye on those Fourier brakes! Pretty insane in terms of weight and cost. How do you like them on the road?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com