Yet another CAAD12 - Heading for 6.8kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

AdamP99

by AdamP99

Hi All,

I've been browsing through this forum for what seems like years now, so thought I'd better join and contribute.

My Cannondale CAAD12 was purchased in 2017 and has been kept fairly stock up until recently, with narrower Deda handlebars being the only addition prior to the wave of upgrades that have now taken place. The bike started at around 8.6kg (with the Deda upgraded bars and Look Keo Classic 3 pedals), and I'm hoping to get it down to 6.8kg without spending an extortionate amount. I'll probably have to settle with 6.8kg without pedals as I wont be ditching my powermeter pedals, despite this being a place for huge weight savings.

I'm a big fan of the classic, straight tubed bikes, and generally think that shallower depth wheels suit these types of bikes better, which should help to justify my choices below.

I've tried to keep track of the majority of weights (of the parts I've changed), however, upon writing this I'm now realising that there are a lot of weights that I've missed. Below is a spec list with weights and weights of the parts that were originally in place (where I've remembered to weigh).

Frameset: Cannondale CAAD12 2017 56cm

Handlebars: Deda Zero 100 40cm Alloy (244g) - Stock Cannondale Alloy bars (321g)
Stem: Kalloy Uno 100mm (104g without logos) - Selcof 100mm, taken off Planet X winter bike (157g)
Handlebar Tape: Deda Elementi Traforato (I believe this is about 40g?) - Stock Cannondale Tape + Bar end plugs (111g)

Saddle: Selle San Marco Aspide Superleggera eBay replica (106g) - Stock Cannondale Selle Royal Saddle (259g)
Seatpost: Hylix zero setback 25.4mm uncut (141g inc. craddle) - Stock Cannondale Seatpost uncut (290g)
Seatpost Clamp: Stock Cannondale

Shifters: Shimano 105 5800
Brakes: Shimano 105 5800 (SwissStop pads)
Front Derailleur: Shimano 105 5800
Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 5800
Crankset: Stock Cannondale SI Cranks + FSA Rings 52-36

Wheels: FastForward F3R Rim Brake Clinchers 30mm depth, without rim tape (Front: 627g, Rear: 789g) - Mavic Aksium Clinchers
Rim Tape: Veloplugs
Cassette: Shimano 105 5800 11-28 (273g)
Tyres: Vittoria Cora Graphene 2.0 25c (259g + 255g) - Mavic Tyre + Tacx trainer tyre (Used as trainer bike over winter)
Inner Tubes: Michelin Latex (80g x 2)
Quick Release Skewers: KCNC Ti Qr (20g + 21g) - Mavic QR (60g + 65g)

Extras:
Pedals: Look Keo Classic or Powertap P1 Singlesided pedals (421g)
Bottle cages: Elite custom plastic
Computer mount: Wahoo Elemnt bolt mount

The weights...
With Powertap pedals, bottlecages, and mount: 7.69kg
Without pedals, but, with bottlecages and mount: 7.28kg

Overall I'm quite pleased with 7.2kg without pedals for an alloy bike running 105.

I've got around 400g to find to meet my goal, which I hope to meet after doing the following upgrades in the future, probably this winter coming:
Shimano Dura Ace 9000 Shifters - I appreciate Sram is lighter but prefer Shimano
Shimano Dura Ace 9000 Front and Rear Derailleurs
Fouriers CNC rim brakes (I believe these used to be labelled as PlanetX)
Carbon bottle cages

Any other suggestions to help shift a bit weight without spending too much money would be much appreciated.

Picture should be attached.

Thanks for looking :D
Attachments
IMG_3488[1].JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

I don't know your local terrain, but a 1X setup will lower your weight by roughly 125g

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Second hand sram red crank will save some weight

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

grover

by grover

That crankset is porky. Get a SRAM Red Exogram with integrated spider or Hollowgram Si (yours aren't hollowgram). And a SRAM Red cassette.

liam7020

by liam7020

Have you tried the Superleggra saddle before? Cheers.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

djel

by djel

I had a CAAD12 Black inc., which uses the fork from a Supersix Evo HM and it's much lighter than the regular CAAD fork.

AdamP99

by AdamP99

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Some good suggestions I hadn't thought of. For now, I'd like to stay with a 2x setup. I thought I saw on a post on here a while ago that Sram cranks won't work in my frame, I'll have to do a bit more research.

AdamP99

by AdamP99

liam7020 wrote:
Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:31 am
Have you tried the Superleggra saddle before? Cheers.
Afraid not, I've only ever used this one from eBay so I can't really compare it to the genuine one. It does look very similar though and is pretty comfortable for me. It's my first carbon saddle and doesn't feel any more uncomfortable than the one that came with the bike.

AdamP99

by AdamP99

djel wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:39 am
I had a CAAD12 Black inc., which uses the fork from a Supersix Evo HM and it's much lighter than the regular CAAD fork.
Cheers for the suggestion, wouldn't the paint schemes mismatch and need a respray if I was going to go down that route?

djel

by djel

AdamP99 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:12 am
djel wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:39 am
Cheers for the suggestion, wouldn't the paint schemes mismatch and need a respray if I was going to go down that route?
Mine was all black so it would not clash 2ith your bike. Worst case you could sand it down to the carbon and apply a clear.

AdamP99

by AdamP99

A minor update, but one I've been wanting to do for a while.

I've since installed the following upgrades:
- Shimano Dura Ace 9000 Shifters, Front & Rear Derailleurs
- Fouriers (Used to be labelled as Planet X I believe) CNC Rim Brake Calipers
- New Shimano 105 11-28 Cassette
- New Shimano Ultegra Chain
- New FSA Super T Outer Chainring (52T)

The parts weren't weighed individually unfortunately, but I have weighed the whole bike since.
Weight of whole bike including Wahoo Elemnt Bolt mount and 2x Bottle Cages, (excluding pedals) is 6.9kg. A saving of about 300g.

Pretty happy with 6.9kg and I'm loving the way it rides. Not sure if it's the wheels, tyres, or just the weight, but it seems to skim across a smooth road, compared to my winter bike at least.

I don't really have too many ugrades planned or on the horizon as I'm happy with the weight it is at; although hitting 6.8kg would be pretty nice. With this said, I guess a few potential changes that may happen in the future are:
- Carbon Bottle Cages
- 120mm Stem - I feel quite cramped on the bike at times due to going for the hylix inline seatpost, so I'm hoping that extending the stem by 20mm will offset the 20 odd mm I've lost from choosing that seatpost.

Carbon bars would save a fair bit of weight I'd imagine, but the outlay kind of outweighs this in my opinion.

A picture of the bike as it stands should be below.
I'm aware that the rear brake cable looks like it's been cut too short, but this is the only way I could find to get the brakes to release after the lever was released. Not sure if this is unique to my set of brakes, the bike's cable routing, or the brakes themselves, but I spent quite a while trying to figure it out.

ImageCAAD12 Dura Ace by AdamP99, on Flickr
Attachments
IMG_4481[1].JPG

Thomson

by Thomson

Awesome! A great weight also. Can you remember what weight it was standard? 8.6? It says online a 54 is 8.1kg. This exactly the bike I hope to get soon. In a 56 as well. Looks very nice. look forward to more upgrades 👍

AdamP99

by AdamP99

I'm afraid I didn't weigh it when it was completely standard, although I'm pretty sure I weighed it at 8.6kg when I had upgraded to some Deda Zero 100 bars, although I think I had some basic Look pedals on at that point as well. So perhaps just over 8.6kg is about right for a standard one in a 56.

JoO

by JoO

Get veloflex corsa race tires 200 grams for 25’s. -100 gr
Use vredestein latex 50 grams. -60 gr
Alloy waterbottle bolts + alloy derailleur pinch bolts 10 grams or so saved

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcal8055

by mcal8055

JoO wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:23 pm
Get veloflex corsa race tires 200 grams for 25’s. -100 gr
Use vredestein latex 50 grams. -60 gr
Alloy waterbottle bolts + alloy derailleur pinch bolts 10 grams or so saved
I'd go further and recommend Tubolitos. I've had them for daily use the past month or so and no issues. 81g for a pair. My CAAD is down to 6.4kg with Keo 2 Max pedals and Tune cages.