Supersix Evo3 HM Agave Build (+Intro!)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Whilst I have been around here for a few months at least now and posted here and there, here's a proper introduction :wink:

I'd spent years with a trusty Wilier GTR with Tiagra in fetching green and black, and he (yes he's a he) served me extremely well while I discovered I quite liked this cycling business.

Unfortunately for him I also discovered window shopping and craved an upgrade after 4 years or so. Luckily for me, I was able to get a discount on Cannondales, and I knew the new Supersix was coming out that summer. Reading on here I knew how highly rated the previous one was, and pinned my hopes on that. I have to admit; when it first came out I was instantly sure I didn't prefer the looks over the traditional tubing and lines of the old 'Six, and vowed to get one of those instead. Marketing got me though. I soon came around and when I saw my new frame in 'Agave' green (the fancy name does make me chuckle :lol:) out of the box, with some lovely deep carbon wheels, I was over the moon. It looked stunning.

I had plumped for the Dura Ace mechanical offering, coming with a Hi-Mod frame and the slightly deeper HollowGram 45 wheelset. I had initially looked at the Force AXS option, fancying a white bike and electronic shifting (and if I'm being honest, something different to the crowds of Shimano bikes). A bit more research put me off the heavy AXS gruppo though, and the price jump was not that big to the DA offering, plus I got better wheels and a lighter frame. Better paint if you ask me too! Also felt electronic shifting should be left as something to look forward to, and Dura Ace bling was more than compensation.

Being far too excited I did forget to weigh things individually, but made sure I got a total weight at least by taking the wheels off for my kitchen scale (5kg limit):

Don't try this at home kids.

All that plus skewers (30+40 each) gave a total weight out of the box of 8.0kg when I threw my Assioma Duos and a bottle cage I had lying around on. I knew it would be a tad porky from reviews and indeed this forum, so no shock there.

I swapped out the Rubinos Pros after a few hundred kms. I didn't have much time for these, cut up pretty badly in the wet Oxfordshire winter and weren't the most confidence-inspiring ride. Vittoria Corsa on the front and Control on the rear in 25c went on, with Michelin Ultralight tubes. I also got a couple of Bontrager Bat cages to replace the shoddy one I had thrown on.

I rode on like that for a good 3000km, which happened to coincide with the British winter as previously mentioned... perhaps unwise, but the early months were uncharacteristically dry, and I couldn't help myself! Rain and muck did eventually come, but a deep clean of the rear mech was all the was really required come Spring. I admit not being a mechanic, there may be other attention needed and I simply haven't realised, but all is going like clockwork still. I love how it ticks along on the flat, it feels fast here, noticeably over my old Wilier. Where it surprised me a bit was on the steeper grades, where standing on the pedals feels slightly less natural, but once I sit back down and get my cadence, all feels well again. I think this is partly due to going from 42cm bars to 38s, having done a fit before getting the Evo (I am on the smaller side). It has taken me on 100 mile epics, sprinty club runs, and even a muddy towpath or two. It's put a massive smile on my face even when the ride shouldn't warrant one, and I can't help admire it every time I pull it out of the shed.

Now onto the fun part... upgrades! I have finally managed to source some of the parts I've been wanting in my search for grams. Stem and bar were high up the priority list, with the semi-integrated Systembar weighing nearly 600g in all, as was the chainset with NGeco PM that came pre installed but not activated... :roll: Saddle had been before I got the bike too, however after riding the prologue Dimension I'm pretty impressed, but it's still not safe from future replacement...

Anyway, this is the shelf of bits waiting to go on all in one go (a bit less painful that way with the integrated routing):

Zipp SL Sprint Stem 120mm - 181g
Zipp SL70 Aero Bars 38cm - 232g
Zipp Carbon Cages - 18g each
Dura Ace 140mm Rotors - 94g each
Veloflex Masters 25c - 225g each
Conti Race Light tubes - 80g each
Finally either Fizik Vento Microtex Tacky Tape or Guee Tape that matches the bike

Hoping to get a 10 arm Spidering to go on too, but still working on that. Will probably get a Raceware stem faceplate mount for my wahoo, as I like the idea of a cleaner cockpit. All in all it should bring the weight down to around 7.45kg according to my spreadsheet. I'll post again once this is all on or there's anything else changing, the goal is to eventually have this thing at 7 flat or under, but realistically that'll take a wheelset change, which isn't on the agenda just yet, not for less weight anyway... And I fully intend on this bike being an all rounder, so while it would be nice to hit that target, it won't be at the cost of my day-to-day riding.

Hope you enjoy the read, build sheet probably to appear after these changes :beerchug:
Last edited by Jackofallgrades on Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Agaaaaaaaavé' - 7.6kg
...Work in Progress viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

iho

by iho

Can't wait to see how the Zipp aero bars fit onto the bike. I am considering doing the same setup. Let me know if there are any problems routing the cables for Shimano shifters as i read somewhere that the Zipp bars are designed for SRAM setup, i.e. the the internal routing holes at the hoods are on the opposite side

by Weenie

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Thanks, they do seem to be optimised for Sram, but will let you know.

sendit100

by sendit100

Following! Keen to see these upgrades dude: great looking bike!

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Update time.
New wheels, bars, stem, saddle, cages and rubber have gone on!

Savings are... *drum roll*

Zipp bar and Stem -135g

Berk Lupina Saddle -76g

Zipp carbon cages -60g

And Veloflex Masters in 25c to finish her off -50g

In WW sacrilige I have put on the Zipp 404s, because they're so pretty (and fast), adding approximately 150g... :oops:

The only thing bugging me with the new setup is giving up the integrated cable situation of the Knot bars, at the moment there's electrical tape hiding things a little bit, but it's not really holding up. I haven't used the semi-integrated spacer that Cannondale supply to help guide the cables into the frame opening, going for an old 'Supersix' cover a friend had lying around! I'm pretty happy with it, and may yet cut down the steerer all the way once i'm happy. I also had a Raceware faceplate mount for the stem to keep things neat up top too, but the Zipp Sprint stem has such a huge faceplate that it fouls on the mount, so I may have to try and file the mount down to fit. Just rolling with the standard Wahoo one for now.

Weight all in? 7.6kg, a shade over, including pedals, mount and cages. Rides great, and for those who are interested (I've had a few people asking already) the bare Berk is super comfy. Haven't gone for a 4+hr ride yet, but done a few days riding now, some fast, some slow, and it's been just fine. I particularly like being able to change position so easily, sliding up and down as needed. It's also just a work of art! I am slammed as far forwards on the rail as I can go though, so sourcing a zero offset post from Cannondale might be on the cards. Also still trying to get my hands on a Spidering SL, which would bring the weight down to 7.45kg or so.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Oh and as promised...

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Looks reallly nice and fast. :thumbup:

If I was Cannondale's product manager, I would ship the smaller bikes up to the 54 with the zero setback seatpost as stock. The slacker* head angle and longer rake on the forks on these smaller sizes work very well with a nice trail figure to keep handling sharp but I think they're even better with a more modern fit, saddle further forward and a longer stem. I started by mirroring the fit of my old Evo on the new one but I felt my weight was a tad too much over the rear wheel so I swapped to a longer stem and moved the saddle to keep the same reach and now it's perfect. I originally planned to use the 15mm post but my LBS only had the 0mm and I'm glad I got that one now.

* Edit: slacker, not steeper.
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:07 pm

If I was Cannondale's product manager, I would ship the smaller bikes up to the 54 with the zero setback seatpost as stock. The steeper head angle and longer rake on the forks on these smaller sizes work very well with a nice trail figure to keep handling sharp but I think they're even better with a more modern fit, saddle further forward and a longer stem. I started by mirroring the fit of my old Evo on the new one but I felt my weight was a tad too much over the rear wheel so I swapped to a longer stem and moved the saddle to keep the same reach and now it's perfect. I originally planned to use the 15mm post but my LBS only had the 0mm and I'm glad I got that one now.
Thanks Dan, and yeah, certainly agree this bike wants to be ridden in a more aggressive position, comes alive when you get on it, head down!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:07 pm

If I was Cannondale's product manager, I would ship the smaller bikes up to the 54 with the zero setback seatpost as stock. The slacker* head angle and longer rake on the forks on these smaller sizes work very well with a nice trail figure to keep handling sharp but I think they're even better with a more modern fit, saddle further forward and a longer stem. I started by mirroring the fit of my old Evo on the new one but I felt my weight was a tad too much over the rear wheel so I swapped to a longer stem and moved the saddle to keep the same reach and now it's perfect. I originally planned to use the 15mm post but my LBS only had the 0mm and I'm glad I got that one now.

* Edit: slacker, not steeper.
Agree with this. I'm on 48, use 15mm setback seatpost and push the seat a bit back just because I use TT saddle (Pro Aerofuel). If I am to use any of other the road saddle, I'd need 0 offset seatpost too.

Arnomatic

by Arnomatic

The bar and stem combo looks so nice on this frame, I've seen it done a couple of times now. It's funny how the old SSE generation suited skinnier components better. This looks super stiff.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Arnomatic wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:03 pm
The bar and stem combo looks so nice on this frame, I've seen it done a couple of times now. It's funny how the old SSE generation suited skinnier components better. This looks super stiff.
Yeah it must be the deeper tubing, works with the angular Sprint stem. Certainly feels mega so far, couldn't comment on stiffness really but the drops are a nicer shape than the System Bar and it's plenty comfy. Only niggle is thinking of a way to clean up the cabling underneath the stem.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Quick update, nothing has changed build wise as I've been very happy with it, especially for faster group rides with some through and off. The Zipps feel great at holding speed, though I feel the downside of that accelerating or going uphill. As a result I've found myself swapping the lighter Hollowgrams in occasionally, but not often.

I have swapped to Pirelli P Zeros in 25c, not much wrong with Veloflex, but after reading such good feedback leading me to get them, I was a bit underwhelmed with ride feel. The Pirelli's have been great.

I'm still on the search for a deal on a Spidering, although I have been thinking about a set of Rotor aero rings too.

If I really wanted to hit UCI weight, a set of Farsports Feders would fit the bill nicely, but can't see myself investing in that for a while. The weight isn't the selling point of this bike really! But still very happy overall.

by Weenie