My Pivot Mach 4 SL build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rapsac

by rapsac

Ah yes, the Piccola brakes are ordered (new version with carbon lever and C22 caliper), now just have to wait for 6 months...
My new Selle Italia creaked like crazy. Difficult to find since discontinued, I ordered another one from the same shop. That one creaked even more! So, now I will try the MCFK saddle (135mm).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rapsac

by rapsac

robbosmans wrote:Interested in the pedal difference between force and cxr keep us updated, I would love to see a comparison
Clipping in is definitely easier with the CXR, compared to M-force. It feels more like the XTR pedals (from memory, so do not take my word for it). Durability of the mechanism and pedal body (rock strikes) remains to be seen, the black finish will not last too long I guess, but that is ok for me. The bearings/axle should be ok, identical to other models.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

rapsac wrote:
robbosmans wrote:Interested in the pedal difference between force and cxr keep us updated, I would love to see a comparison
Clipping in is definitely easier with the CXR, compared to M-force. It feels more like the XTR pedals (from memory, so do not take my word for it). Durability of the mechanism and pedal body (rock strikes) remains to be seen, the black finish will not last too long I guess, but that is ok for me. The bearings/axle should be ok, identical to other models.
Thanks, i had the m-forces but I didn’t like the clip in, i will try the cxr’s

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

rapsac

by rapsac

And for nostalgic reasons, old vs new:

Anthem X29 vs Mach 4 SL
Alu vs Carbon
2x10 XTR vs 1x12 XX1 AXS
10.6 kg vs 9.7 kg
Note: the X29 once weighed 9.9 kg with other wheels, now donated to my wife’s bike.

The Pivot is at once more manoeuvrable (shorter CS) and more stable when going down (slacker HA). It looks small compared to the X29, but that is because of the huge stand over height. Actually in use on steep climbs it is felt normal (when standing over during a stop), the X29 standover is really too high.
The X29 always felt like a sled, quick to turn but the rear end always needed some extra effort to follow.
At my local trails (95% singletrack, tight turns with micro-hills, sandy/muddy and roots) I always preferred my hardtails for manoeuvrability and handling. For my height, I could have chosen an XL (with short stem), but due to the local trails I prefer a bike with a shorter wheelbase and a tiny bit longer stem to keep the front wheel weighed on twisty uphills.
Although according to the Pivot size table I am rightly on a large.

Note:
Seat to grip distance is equal on both bikes, both are size large. The X29 is now my bad weather bike.

rapsac

by rapsac

robbosmans wrote:
rapsac wrote:
Thanks, i had the m-forces but I didn’t like the clip in, i will try the cxr’s

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I do notice more play when clipped in (float), but a bit noisy. Will install new cleats to see what gives. (Already using xpedo cleats)

DanW

by DanW

I tried the CXR's on my new build. I felt they had a more positive click in (it may not be fair comparing to several year old M-Force 8's) but otherwise not really much between them. The black does indeed come off very quickly as it is thin paint.

The main issue I have with the XPEDO pedals is they don't feel very supportive and my foot can rock around quite a bit. Over time I seem to get niggly knee pains which instantly disappear when switching to other pedals. Other people may not be so sensitive ;) I am very happy with Look X-Track to combat this but of course there is a weight penalty. The others I would like to give a go if anything happens to my current pedals are HT M1T

rapsac

by rapsac

Thanks. Looked up the HT ones. Nice review here, with some axle play involved: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/ht-leop ... eview/amp/

DanW

by DanW

I had play in my M-Force 8's from quite early too but it was never noticeable when riding. Same with XTR I fitted Ti axles to and CB Eggbeaters. The Look are the first I don't have this with but it has never bothered me either way :)
Last edited by DanW on Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rapsac

by rapsac

Ok, thanks. You have used a lot of pedals then. Which are/were your favourite ones and why?

I have only used Shimano (good clipin/out but heavy), CB eggbeaters (reasonable clip in/out and very light but not for me due to large release angle) and M-Force 8 (reasonable clip in/out, light and durable)
I have used two pairs of the M-Force 8 and had to replace the bearings of one pair after some years due to axle play.

DanW

by DanW

XTR: Good availability, loose bearings that are a huge pain to service, heavy, crucially they always felt "icy" when wet and offerred very little support
CB Eggbeater: Love them in principle but I was getting through several pairs a season (floppy wings), loads of rebuild kits for the bearings and worn axles and tons of cleats. I did like that it was easy to find shorter axles.
M-Force 8: Perfect (light, not too expensive, last really well) except they don't have such a quality feeling clicking in and don't have much support giving me knee pain
CXR: Cheaper than the M-Force, touch heavier, better click in, look awful very quickly and same lack of support
Look X-Track: Perfect with the only downside being weight

I would like a pedal with freely available Ti axles of different lengths, easily replaceable bearings (cartridge all over), SPD cleats, supportive pedal body, light and cheap... nothing quite ticks all that :)

I suspect you will love the XPEDO that you already have- great pedals if you feel comfortable :thumbup:

rapsac

by rapsac

The new XL bike is nearly finished. Shock bushings need to be reversed so it can be placed upright (it’s a manual 3-pos lockout), the inner tubes need to be replaced with some liquid latex and I have been waiting for quite a while on my Trickstuff Piccola brakes. Who knows when they will arrive... 3 to 9 months were quoted as delivery time.

Some changes over the previous Large bike:
- Absolute Black 32 teeth Oval (hoping for the real/placebo effect)
- Look Carbon-Ti pedals (much more supportive than the Xpedo ones and still lighter than XTR, noticeable even with über-stiff S-Works shoes)
- 65mm Intend Grace Trail stem (because of the wider bar below)
- 780mm Beast Components flat bar (appreciate the extra width but do have to be careful with some trees here)
- Extralite Blacklock through axles (lighter than the Carbon-Ti ones)
- Vecnum Nivo indexed 182mm dropper with extra light aluminium Fasi outer cable (finally accepted the reality: a dropper weighs more but is really practical - even if only to sit on it at the trailhead. The Divine SL kept creaking with the titanium bolts alas, and the Vecnum is not much heavier)
- Continental CrossKing 2.3 front and Raceking 2.2 rear
- a plain star nut replaced the Extralite Ultrastar 4. The sucker would not tighten in the alu steerer tube of my Fox fork, where the Ultrastar 3 (1 gram heavier...) would. But that one is now on the wife’s bike (the Mach 4 SL in size large). I accepted the 4 gram heavier star-nut gracefully

A scale shot will follow later, but will show a 10 up front. Perhaps with the Piccola’s this will be a 9, but with the dropper on it probably not. Without dropper it weighs approx 9.7 kg.

Some final words on the size. According to the Pivot size table I am right in-between L and XL. I do have long arms but the XL is the right size for me. My wife has the same, she falls in-between M and L according to the size table. She also has longish arms. And she would not want a smaller bike than the L. Obviously results may vary...

rapsac

by rapsac

New rotors in, still waiting on the Piccola carbon brakes.
Carbon-Ti steelcarbon 2, 80 and 98 grams for 160 and 180mm rotor respectively. They feel substantial, not flimsy at all. How they perform remains to be seen.

DanW

by DanW

Looking great! I hope my comment about Xpedo not being supportive didn't get in your head! But I do genuinely believe that the Look are way more supportive.

You have to be getting close to a settled build after all those $$$ :D

rapsac

by rapsac

Yes, the build is almost stable now, the Piccola’s are still to come in, then some minor parts (Hopp) to modify the AXS and/or brakes and it should be (mostly) done.
I may still try the SID ultimate 120mm (converted to a 110mm), but I am waiting for the second model year to avoid the potential bushing play issues.

jemima

by jemima

Is that still a RaceKing Racesport in the rear, or a Protection?
Curve Grovel ti.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com