My Pivot Mach 4 SL build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rapsac

by rapsac

A word of warning to those who ordered the C22 caliper version of the Piccola’s: replace the supplied brakepad bolt clip with an e-clip to avoid scratching, a standardised e-clip with size 2,3 mm fits well.
Trickstuff has acknowledged the issue and mentioned that they will supply different clips in the future (the C21 caliper had more room around the bolt end).

rapsac

by rapsac

Last elements to be done: replace bolts with black versions.

Black titanium bolts for the Vecnum saddle clamp (spherical washer will be re-used)

Some black aluminium bolts to follow: internal routing cable clamp bolts, derailleur hanger bolt and the di2 battery port cover bolts.
Then a weight list update with some other tires and it should be done…. Still not 100% clear if the scale-shot will start with a 09 or 10, this with 2,40” tires filled with latex, bottle holders etc. It will be a close call. Changing the pedals back to the Xpedo’s solves the equation, but prefer the Look in use. And promised myself no cheating ;-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rapsac

by rapsac

Ok, I give up ;-)

Excluding some items (2nd bottle cage, bell, speed sensor) and with my lightest GPS holder I reach 10030 grams.
So put those back on and will call it a day, it’s perfect (for me) as is.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Looking great, any reason for going with the 10-52 instead of a 10-50?
And how do you like the saddle?

rapsac

by rapsac

robbosmans wrote:Looking great, any reason for going with the 10-52 instead of a 10-50?
And how do you like the saddle?
None for where I live (also never use the 50T and don’t need the 180mm disc at front here) but for short trips or vacation the 32 x 10-52 is more or less the same range as my old 36/22 x 11-36. Although less usable due to the big step to lowest gear. But I am getting older so a rescue gear is nice to have and better than walking ;-)
The MCFK saddle is nice enough for me. When climbing it gives some extra support. Used to have the Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow but the last two ones creaked like hell and would not be shut up.
After todays ride I decided to remove the Extralite grips and go back to the trusted Esi’s racers edge. I find the Extralite’s to be too slippery, leading to firmer gripping the grips… And although the diameter is ok, they are too soft, leading to less support - compared to the Esi’s.

DanW

by DanW

Amazing- that's a build to be proud of and ride the wotsit out of :thumbup:

How are you finding the Booster tyres? How is the true size looking?

rapsac

by rapsac

Thanks!
The Boosters are nice. On the rear the 2,20 was fine but I was less impressed with it up front - as compared to a Crossking 2,3 RS. The 2,40 Booster is better up front than the 2,20 for my local trails. Not that different from the Conti but a bit lighter and tubeless setup is easier than with the Conti RaceSport.

The width of the Boosters just after installation:
28,0 mm iw rim: 57,1 / 57,6 mm carcass/profile @ 1,2 bar
25,6 mm iw rim: 56,3 / 57,4 mm carcass/profile @ 1,4 bar

I expect them to stretch a bit more but probably not up to a real 2,40.
At the moment they are more or less equivalent to a Barzo 2,35 / Mezcal 2,25 Para XC set on the same rims with equal pressure, used for 6 months. That Mezcal is very large for a 2,25 whilst the Barzo is small for a 2,35.

DanW

by DanW

That is quite under sized but great info, thanks!

rapsac

by rapsac

Almost all black bolts are in. These are the Di2 battery holder bolts underneath the bottom bracket. Saved a whole 3.2 grams too.

rapsac

by rapsac

Derailleur hanger bolt replacement done for looks, huge weight saving as a bonus!

Really like the Boosters in 2,4. They’re somewhere in the middle of a true 2,30/2,35 though. Size-wise comparable to the CrossKing 2,3 and the Barzo 2,35.

rapsac

by rapsac

After some 1800 km my Look X-track Race carbon titanium pedals have developed play on both axles. Will see if I open them up or send them in. Rather disappointing.

DanW

by DanW

That's not good! My X-tracks which are one step down from the top of the line Ti ones have been solid for several years now.

Having had a variety of Ti axle pedals I would guess the axle has worn slightly rather than it being anything to do with bearings. Do they have a weight limit and are you anywhere close to that?

rapsac

by rapsac

Yeah, my guess is the ti axle is wearing down instead of the bushing. Nowhere near the weight limit ;-)
I know the ti axle is suspect when using bushings but 1800km (in relatively fair weather) is nothing. Rebuild kit costs over 100 euro (incl ti axles).

rapsac

by rapsac

This is a picture of the rebuild kit with a steel axle and a titanium axle. Both appear to use the same (steel?) bushing. Does not seem to bode well for durability’s sake with a titanium axle - as I may just now have experienced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

Ti axles never lasted long for me through wear It didn't seem to matter if there were polymer bushings, sealed bearings, loose ball bearings.... it just isn't the best material for a part subject to wear. Very, very frustrating though