My Pivot Mach 4 SL build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

rapsac

by rapsac

Hello, looking at building up a Pivot Mach 4 SL (frame ordered). I know there are lighter frames with more or less the same geo (Spark RC), but prefer the Pivot. And I have committed myself already ;-)
Below are two build options, A or B. Also, most parts are to be ordered yet so reasonable flexible on other parts too.
I do own the Hope Race Evo brakes, these will probably be replaced by Trickstuff Piccola’s later on.
Goal of the build is to get a bike that is durable but light. I weigh approx 72 kg and are not a very aggressive rider. Mainly XC locally in the Dutch mountains and relatively easy trails on holidays in the Alps - only for fun, not for competition.
A lot of parts are with weights of the ww and not yet weighted myself.

Looking forward to advice and some discussion!

Last edited by rapsac on Tue May 05, 2020 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

rapsac

by rapsac

One of the main choices to make is XTR 9100 or SRAM AXS Eagle... have made the choice in my mind numerous times the last days (each time for the other system) but need to choose in the next week or so... arghh. Good old trusty cable or fancy high tech wireless?

The carbon-ti hubs are the SP straightpull version, not the sl.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1llum4

by 1llum4

For the groupset choice, what you can do is a mix of XTR and AXS. You get the shifter, derailleur and crank from Sram. Chain and Cassette from shimano and to make sure everything play nice together a Wolftooth Hyperglide+ chainring for Sram Direct mount. That mean you need a microspline freehub but you you get all the shifting under power advantage of the shimano cassette/chain combo and the wireless wizardry from Sram.

The rest of the build look good. The only thing I would add is a WW dropper like the DT Swiss or Bike Yoke Divine SL.

DanW

by DanW

I'd agree that a bike as capable as that should really have a nice light dropper.

If not then go for a much lighter post like the Climax Carbon ones around 130g for £60 (edit: just checked and jeez they have gotten more expensive) or any other around that weight (there are a lot without having to spend too much and they are plenty durable). I can't see any real advantage to the Syntace on a full sus.

You can save money on Ti bolts from sources other than Carbon-Ti and Extralite (Mt Zoom for example) and a debadged Kalloy Uno stem would do the same thing for much less. Likewise with the bars but if you like the look of the Tune and have lots of dosh then crack on :D

You can get light bar plugs on ebay (just the normal plastic cheapy ones do the job, look good and are light). You can save a few g on the seatclamp (again I'd recommend Mt Zoom) but I understand you may want Tune matchey matchey :D

Pedals are quite personal and I had previously used M-Force 8's for years and loved them but lately I've taken a small weight penalty to use Look instead. The engagement and stability when pedalling is night and day between the two. You could also look at Xpedo's CXR pedals for slightly better practicalities compared to the M-Force 8 but as I say I'd personally go with the even more stable Look pedals.

I am absolutely sold on how XTR works but if you put AXS in front of me I'd have to go for it purely for what it is. The combo suggested is spot on :thumbup:

Those Pivots have always been high on my wishlist so I am really looking forward to seeing how this comes out :thumbup:

DanW

by DanW

Last edited by DanW on Wed May 06, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanW

by DanW

Oh and I would also be curious to hear what tyres you have in mind. All rounders around the 650g mark sound sensible but I've always struggled for decent options. I'd like a look at Vittoria tyres but never seen or tried any. I like Bontrager tyres recently for how easy they are to live with. XR2's in 2.2 do a decent all around job in the drier months but I've been using 2.4 XR4 front and 2.4 XR3 rear most recently to be able to ride anywhere in any weather without having to stress. Not light at all though!!!

rapsac

by rapsac

1llum4 wrote:For the groupset choice, what you can do is a mix of XTR and AXS.
[....]
The only thing I would add is a WW dropper like the DT Swiss or Bike Yoke Divine SL.
Thanks. Have read that the spacing of the cassette differs by 1,0 mm in total. Not too much reports on mixed use, so I am a bit hesitant. Now contemplating to start with full AXS, if shifting isn’t to my liking switch to hybrid and if that does not work go to full XTR.
The dropper will come for vacation. Looking at AXS or a more permanent one with bikeyoke or vecnum posts.

rapsac

by rapsac

DanW wrote: Shortened for brevity

I can't see any real advantage to the Syntace on a full sus.
You can save money on Ti bolts from sources other than Carbon-Ti and Extralite.
You can save a few g on the seatclamp (again I'd recommend Mt Zoom) but I understand you may want Tune matchey matchey :D
Pedals are quite personal and I had previously used M-Force 8's for years and loved them but lately I've taken a small weight penalty to use Look instead.
I am absolutely sold on how XTR works but if you put AXS in front of me I'd have to go for it purely for what it is. The combo suggested is spot on :thumbup:
Those Pivots have always been high on my wishlist so I am really looking forward to seeing how this comes out :thumbup:
Thanks. I understand the listing is a bit of a mishmash. Temporary or permanently, I will reuse existing parts I already own, like pedals, seatpost, bolts and brakes.

rapsac

by rapsac

The tires are to be determined ;-)
For local use I have used Conti Raceking and Racing Ralph 2,35 liteskin on other bikes - the latter are no longer available but very light for their size. A bit vulnerable though. For vacation a more serious setup will be used. But looking forward to trying more grippy tires to see if my cornering can improve... will see.
Last edited by rapsac on Wed May 06, 2020 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

BB92 with a 30mm spindle is changing out a lot of bearings definitely on an mtb

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

rapsac

by rapsac

robbosmans wrote:BB92 with a 30mm spindle is changing out a lot of bearings definitely on an mtb

But DUB is 29mm and thus much more better ;-)
But seriously, are there any reports on this for DUB? Acc to SRAM the 1mm difference is a world of change for durability’s sake. Not sure if I believe it.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Maybe, I dont know if you plan to ride in the mud a lot

rapsac

by rapsac

Have to modify the build list already. 22 grams to be added...Image

rapsac

by rapsac

German engineering (and made as well): Intend Grace XC stem -7 deg, 77mm and (how applicable) Intend Corona seatpost clamp 34.9mm: 78 and 9 grams respectively.

And some American engineering (but Taiwan made), a Fox 32 100mm stepcast fork, 3-pos lever, boost etc. 2020 model because of matte paint.

DanW

by DanW

Good to see some less common parts. Keep it coming :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com