Jolly green Giant- 2020 Giant TCR Advanced SL disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Ferry

by Ferry

burglarboycie wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 9:55 pm
How do you get on with the Speedneedle? How's the comfort/flexibility etc?
I do not have a lot to compare with. I have been using Speedneedles on my mountainbikes since 2006 and also on my roadbikes. I do have a Tune Kom for on the gravel bike. I prefer the Speedneedle. It fits me great.

Ferry

by Ferry

Shpox wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 1:43 pm
Can I just this is a great build / inspo.

I like many have been keenly eyeing the 2021 bikes but colour is most important than a few grams (perhaps I am not a true WW) because I see it everyday.

I do believe some bikes are just special. People like Noctiluxx has a few of these (De Rosa SK, XS TCR) but you've added another to the list!

I am looking at building something very close to this, even with LB AR wheels but only once I get my fit sorted. Thanks for posting your weigh-in numbers! They are super helpful.

Can I ask, once that Dura Ace chain wear outs, you consider going for a KMC SL in gold? :mrgreen:

Is there anything if your partlist you would reconsider? It looks very solid to me. You've pretty much built a disc bike to rim brake SL weights.
I agree. Like the frame which is probably a bit heavier due to the paint. Not all choices are based solely on weight. I could have saved weight on the pedals for instance. I choose Dura Ace pedals for durability instead of Exustar Ti.

Thanks for the compliment! I am very pleased with the bike aswell.

A KMC chain in gold has crossed my mind. I even bought some gold anodized bolts. For the time being I am using some green anodized bolts. I bought a complete groupset including chain so that's what I am using. I think some gold parts would look alright though. It is kind off though in some light the frame appears more of a gold shade and in other light or direction it appears more of a dark green shade.

I would like a lighter crankset. The Dura Ace in 52 - 36 172,5 mm is quite heavy. However, with the BB86 cranks are limited. I would rather use 24 mm spindle crank instead of a 30 mm crank with adapter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shpox

by Shpox

I'm not certain how much more you could save but perhaps when they wear, go for absolute black rings and shift okay. I've heard they're a fair bit lighter and DA but it depends on how much you are married to the crank.

The other element that is if you want to record power etc...

Other than sharing the build, how are finding the ride? I can imagine it climbs like a weapon.

Ferry

by Ferry

Sorry for the late reply. I am really pleased with the geometry / fit of the bike. I used to have some shoulder and neck ache on my old bike (although I had a bike fit at the LBS). I haven't had these problems riding the TCR. This makes it very nice to ride. I like the comfort of the latex tubes and Turbo cottons. The wheels are a lot lighter (coming from DT Swiss R32) which I notice on acceleration and on climbs. I do like to climb. There are no mountains here, I live in the area where the Amstel Gold race is held - the hilly southern region of Limburg, but it is very easy to climb with.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Very nice bike.
Do you know the stem angle of the Giant handlebar?
I'm building a new TCR Advanced SL frame and looking for a handlebar 42-100mm.
Is it 8° or 6°

Ferry

by Ferry

Hi Bruno, thanks a lot. I don't know actually. I took a picture of the box to remember drop and reach: 125 mm an 72 mm but no mention of the angle unfortunately.

Ferry

by Ferry

Ok, I checked the stem 😎 It is 8 degrees.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Ferry wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:44 am
Ok, I checked the stem 😎 It is 8 degrees.
thx

CornwallJon

by CornwallJon

Hi there, just wondered how you are getting on with this bike? I have just bought the same frameset and about to set it up with SRAM Force/Red AXS mix, Zipp 303s wheels. Not 100% certain that I shouldn't have gone for the 2022 frameset, but I picked up the same one as yours in the same colour for £1599.00, whereas the 2022 model is £2599.00. I like the Saturn Green colour vs the 2022 model options. Not totally convinced the 2022 is worth £1000.00 more!

Ferry

by Ferry

Tou have made the right choice 😜 I am really pleased with the bike. Only thing I am going to change is the crankset, probably a Power2max Rotor Aldhu24.

CornwallJon

by CornwallJon

Great to hear! I managed to pick up a SRAM Red Quarq Power Meter crankset so hopefully all good in that area!

CornwallJon

by CornwallJon

Here it is!
Full build list to follow.

CornwallJon

by CornwallJon

Build list (total weight 7.3kg for size L frameset):

SRAM Force AXS shifters, hoses and calipers x2: 813g
SRAM eTap batteries x 2: 52g
SRAM Centerline XR 160mm rotors x 2: 214g
SRAM Force AXS front mech: 159g
SRAM Force AXS rear mech: 299g
SRAM Red AXS Quarq power meter crankset (48/33, 172.5mm): 608g - this thing is a work of art
SRAM Dub BB86 bottom bracket: 66g
Zipp 303s wheelset: 1530g
Schwalbe Pro One TLE tyres (700 x 25c) x 2: 520g
Stans Notubes sealant (approx 80ml): 80g
Zipp 303s tubeless valves x 2: 20g
SRAM XG-1290 10-28 cassette: 184g
Zipp Service Course SL stem (120mm): 168g
Vel Snake bar tape: 70g
Black Inc Road Handlebar (420mm):195g
Selle San Marco Mantra Superleggera Road Saddle (narrow): 117g
Giant TCR Advanced SL 2020 frame with integrated seatpost (Saturn Green): 1004g
Giant TCR Advanced SL 2020 fork: 331g - one of the few parts I didn't personally weigh so relying on online information
Giant TCR Advanced SL 2020 seatpost clamp: 118g - one of the few parts I didn't personally weigh so relying on online information
Speedplay Zero Stainless pedals: 208g
Giant TCR Advanced SL 2020 headsset: 50g - did not weigh this - a guess
Giant TCR Advanced SL 2020 top cap: 12g
SRAM Force AXS flat top chain: 262g - maybe a fraction less as I measured the uncut 114-link original
Giant TCR Advanced SL thru axles x 2: 120g

Somewhere along the line, the full build bike has picked up an additional 104g but I guess that is somewhat inevitable.

Ferry

by Ferry

Very nice, does it meet your expectations?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CornwallJon

by CornwallJon

I'm really enjoying it! What I can't get over is how comfortable it is. Maybe not quite as quick feeling as I had expected...but it's certainly not slow!