2020 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Behold, my freshly built SuperSix Evo Disc!

This is my 4th SuperSix, 3rd Evo. I first had a 2010 non-Evo non-Hi-Mod SuperSix, then a 1st generation Evo but not just any, a 2013 SuperSix Evo Black Inc, after that a 2017 SuperSix Evo Hi-Mod, and now this one. My original plan was to get a Hi-Mod frameset to build a sub-7kg disc bike but when I went to order a EF replica frameset, Cannondale were sold out in my size until possibly the 2021 models show up. My friendly local dealer more or less accidentaly received this bare Standard-Mod frameset, no seatpost, no axles, no nothing so I happily got it as is.

Here's the build list, mostly a DA 9170 affair with a EW-WU111 but with a few little deviations...

Frameset: Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc, 54cm, Standard Mod
Headset: Cane Creek 40 Black Oxide
Headset compression assembly: Cannondale
Stem: Cannondale C1 Superlight with Ti bolts
Handlebar: FSA K-Force Nano-K Compact, 40cm (38 c-to-c at the hoods)
Bar Tape: Fizik Superlight Tacky
Crankset: Cannondale Hollowgram SISL², 172.5mm
Chainrings: Cannondale SpideRing SL, 52/36
Bottom Bracket: Enduro TorqTite XD-15 PF30
Pedals: Shimano Dura-Ace R9100 SPD-SL
Shifters: Shimano Dura-Ace 9170 Di2
Front Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9150 Di2
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura-Ace 9150 Di2
Chain: Shimano XTR CN-M9100
Cassette: SRAM XG-1190, 11-30
Rims: Farsports Feder, 35mm x 28/21mm
Hubs: DT Swiss 180 EXP
Spokes: Sapim CX-Rays + alloy nipples
Tires: Continental Grand Prix 5000, 700x25
Tubes: Vittoria Competition latex
Axles: Robert Axle Project
Brakes: Shimano Dura-Ace 9170 Disc
Rotors: Shimano Dura-Ace SM-RT900, 160/140mm
Seatpost: Cannondale Hollowgram 27 SL KNØT, 0mm setback
Saddle: Fizik Antares 00
Bottle Cages: Arundel Mandible
Garmin Mount: Bontrager Blendr

Total weight? Let's say 'around' 6.8kg, my balance is not the most precise. But I'm quite happy with the weight considering the heavier frameset, the relatively heavy pedals, heavier than stock BB, padded saddle, bar tape wrapped almost to the stem...

I had a Farsports F1 cockpit with their SuperSix specific spacer but that spacer doesn't work right on top of the headset, no cavity to clear the bearing, it's made to fit into a SuperSix spacer, the slimmest being 7.5mm plus 5mm for the Farsports meant it was a bit too high (I may even try a more aggressive stem) but the deciding factor not to use it is that, routing being 100% internal with no access to wires/hoses and not much slack possible once built, I thought it would be a nightmare to put the bike in my travel box. So a standard stem and bars was a lot more practical, allows me to fine tune the fit and its lighter as well.

I usually prefer bright colored frames (and things) but I quite like the minimal logos and clean lines so I decided to dive into the stealth black theme, that will just mean my bright colored kits will always match! :mrgreen: The dark grey on the frame is reflective, as is the back of the seatpost, I also wrapped the center of the bars with grey reflective tape to hide the ugly red and white FSA graphics that matched nothing.

A few black details, the stem is from my old Evo, I removed the graphics and after a while, there was some surface rust on the steel bolts so I put some black ti bolts, saved 10.9gr which tipped it under 100gr. I also ditched the Dura-Ace rotor lockrings because they're silver, put some black ones from old XTR rotors, same weight but black, looking much nicer with the surrounding black rotor spiders and black on black hubs. I also put a Cane Creek Black Oxide headset as I already had it laying around, it spun better than other headset bearings I had and, it's black! Very few will notice but me, but from the side, you don't see any silver in the gap between the frame and the headset cover! I know, I know... I also like that more recent Vittoria latex tubes have black valve stems.

I deviated from Shimano with a lighter SRAM Red cassette. I had that cassette already, it's lighter and more durable than a DA cassette and is more gentle on the alloy freehub body. I'm using a XTR 12 speed chain that is 228gr once sized, nothing special weight wise but apprently it lasts very long and being narrower, it's less noisy on the usually noisy SRAM cassette. Shifts quite smoothly in the workstand, will see how it goes on the road.

The wheels play a good role to help drop weight, wheelset came in at 1226gr and I went for the non-drilled rim beds so no rim tape needed, not much weight difference but theorically marginally stronger and easier to mount tires on. I'll be curious to see if they're stiff enough, I may eventually get some deeper and stiffer wheels for flatter rides... I was riding tubeless road tires last year but decided to skip the hassle and use tubes. I have never flatted very often and I don't like the muted/dead feel of too low pressure, and when comparing tubeless at a pressure that feels good to latex tubes at a pressure that feels good, latex is faster to me.

I aligned the brakes very quickly when building it, still have to do it perfectly until the first ride, can't wait though as it's starting to smell like spring here, we're allowed to ride alone here, hopefully we wont have a full lockdown like some countries have/had.
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

A great looking bike, one of the best Evo 3s I've seen. I'm quit impressed with the weight as the standard builds seem overweight. I look forward to the ride report! It's making me reconsider the rim frameset I was offered...

by Weenie

DeanKRN

by DeanKRN

Let us know how that XTR chain works!

I need a new chain and that sounds like it'll do the trick.

Those C1 stems come up pretty light too.

sib

by sib

Looking forward to a wheelset review as well!

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Looks very stealth! The bottle cage placement goes down way low on the frame, interesting...

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

Looking very good!
My taste would require Hollowgram Knot bar and stem and higher profile wheels but then it would add weight (and look like mine SystemSix )
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

andyJC

by andyJC

Hope you love riding it. That's an excellent weight you've acheived.

Morritz

by Morritz

That's a great build Dan. I love the use of the C1 stem and have always felt they are only really used by Cannondale fans. I was going to offer to but your Farsports bar off you, but then you made an excellent point about travelling with that set up..... nightmare. Nice work, sir.
Cannondale SS HM 2020
@pistaboy

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

@DeanKRN: there is a thread on using the XTR 12 speed chain with DA somewhere here and some guys have been using it a while, flawlessly. I've used DA and KMC X11SL chains with a SRAM XG-1190 cassette and the XTR is a lot less noisy at least.

@Kayrehn: Yes Cannondale lowered the bottle cages with the previous Evo, marginally more aero as well as lowering the center of gravity when bottles are full, but these have two sets of mounting holes to give options for any bike and I put them the lowest I could without the bottles touching each other.

@TurboKoo: I like the KNØT cockpit, cleaner, aero while still practical with accessible hoses/wires... but even without considering I already had these parts, saving some money, I also saved 300gr right there! Cockpit and wheel choice was to make a lightish, climber's bike, maybe I'll get a second higher profile wheelset at some point for flatter fast rides...

@Morritz: I'll probably use the Farsports on another bike...

floriansantana

by floriansantana

That is a very nice bike you have here, Dan! Well done, looks fantastic.
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Impressive build and final weight considering there are no exotic parts and it isn't the HiMod frameset.

I'm also looking forward to hear your thoughts about those Feder rims. They look like they build to an impressively low weight with the DT Swiss 180 or Carbon Ti hubs. Since you're running clinchers, I'm assuming you got the hooked version, right? I only see the Hookless listed on the Farsports website.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

iamraymond wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:39 am
Impressive build and final weight considering there are no exotic parts and it isn't the HiMod frameset.

I'm also looking forward to hear your thoughts about those Feder rims. They look like they build to an impressively low weight with the DT Swiss 180 or Carbon Ti hubs. Since you're running clinchers, I'm assuming you got the hooked version, right? I only see the Hookless listed on the Farsports website.
The wheels help drop weight quite a bit. On top of various heights, there are three Feder types of rims: 28mm wide hooked with 21mm internal width, 26mm hooked with 19mm internal width and 27mm hookless with 22mm internal width. I went with the hooked 28/21mm width. At the same height, the 27 hookless and 26 are obviously lighter (in the 35mm height for exemple, mine are listed at 360gr, the 26 at 350gr and the hookless at 330gr) but I prefer hooks with road clinchers (even with road tubeless unless I'd go with wider tires) and I prefer the wider rims which make a perfect tire + rim profile overall with the 25mm GP5000tires measuring 27mm wide inflated.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I know you're from MTL so I ask - did you ask about other SS frames/builds? Or was your heart set on this one?

Wondering if they're selling framsets in Canada and how much they are.

Also, what's the stem length and degree?

Merci

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

g32ecs wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:01 am
I know you're from MTL so I ask - did you ask about other SS frames/builds? Or was your heart set on this one?

Wondering if they're selling framsets in Canada and how much they are.

Also, what's the stem length and degree?

Merci
Oui they sell framesets in Canada, only Hi-Mods either in EF team replica or the champagne colorway, if I recall MSRP is $5400CAD including the carbon seatpost, headset, BB, axles and all the fittings for Di2, eTAP and mechanical.

I first tried to get an Asia-Pacific market only frameset, the metallic brown Sienna Hi-Mod, but it didn't look like it was going to happen so I then decided to go with the EF replica but by that time, Cannondale didn't have any in stock in my size anymore (54), and ETA for a next batch was like June or July, maybe even only 2021 models by then. I didn't like the champagne (the color is nice, I just really don't like the pattern of it)... but my LBS had that non Hi-Mod bare frameset he received by error or something, no axles, no seatpost, no BB, so he sold it to me for a great price.

The stem is a 100mm -6°.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Gotcha. $5400 for a frame, jesus christ. Even S Works I think is about $4600 locally (but that's another story)

Nice bike. Thanks!

by Weenie