My Open Mold Gravel/Road+/Whatever(?) (Velobuild GF-001)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kroem

by kroem

First bike post here, and not real WW territory, but thought I'd put it out there.

Decided to dump my cx and get something more road+ suitable. That, and the opportunity to build up my first bike. Lesson learnt - building a bike takes lots of tools, and if you dont have them it's expensive. A pro is that I now have lots of tools! Another leason, decide what parts to use, buying multiple groupsets is expensive.

Anyways, I sold my cx (TCX) and the goal was to use that money (and only that money) to build the new bike. I had the wheels (Novatec CXD), and if you subtract all the tools at extra parts I almost managed to keep it that way. Frame I decided on the Velobuild GF-001, groupset I found a Force CX1 lightly used. I also picked up a R7000 full groupset and used the cranks, but mixing Shim/Sram looked horrendous of course so went the WW route and found some SRAM Red cranks.

Frame came in at 1150g+534g+212g. If I were to buy a new gravel frame I think I might go with one that does not have a propriatary seat post. The saddle clamps are... idk, stupid, and you HAVE to have an open saddle in order to mount anything on it. That's not really a problem for me, but the whole design is lacking.
There's also a chance of seatpost slipping, but carbon paste took care of that.

Mounting up parts in the "tool shed", aka. bedroom

Yepp, you might need one of these :roll:

Done! I'm not an experienced cyclist, I only have about 1½ years of "real" riding, but I really like how this bike rides. It's pretty light and responsive, and feels like it can take some beating.

Last time I weight it on my trusty luggage scale it came to 8.59kg with pedals etc. I'm considering swapping the bar to a carbon one, and new wheels should be coming in (Light Bicycle) when I order new ones for the road bike.

Build specs
Frame+Fork+Seat post Velobuild GF-001
Headset Velobuild/Cane Creek upper/BBB Expander
Crankset SRAM Red "Hidden Bolt" BB30 with 46t/42t SRAM Force X-sync ring
Bottom Bracket Token Ninja
Groupset parts+Brakes SRAM Force CX1
Stem Cannondale... something. Testing still.
Handlebar Easton EA70 AX
Bartape SRAM Cork+Fi:zik gel
Bidon cage Canyon SF
Wheels Novatec CXD clincher
Tires Panaracer GravelKing SK+ 43mm tubeless (Orange Seal)
Thru Axles J&L
Pedals Assioma Favero

Hope ya'll like! :beerchug:
Last edited by kroem on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current
Waltly Gravel (stolen... and found!)
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old
Canyon Ultimate SLX 6.7kg (crashed)
Tantan GR039 7.2kg (sold)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Considering what it is... not bad, its usable. I'm sure its a strong frame, rides nice and does the job. Demensions of your build look good.

I recently lobbed the other velobuild turd upon the forum the other day. Note the lackluster commentary :lol:
As or the seat post design - agreed the design blows. Yes an open saddle helps, its not a must. I did the same thing. I actually found a titanium, 4mm allen head tapered cap screw to use in the forward bolt. I think it was part of an SRP ti bolt kit upgrade kit for an old dura ace 7700 caliper. But its a perfect fit. Made it far tidier and easier to adjust.
And FWIW, Pinarello uses the exact same type of seatpost clamp which looks eerily similar... :beerchug:

kroem

by kroem

Rich_W wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:14 am
Considering what it is... not bad, its usable. I'm sure its a strong frame, rides nice and does the job. Demensions of your build look good.

I recently lobbed the other velobuild turd upon the forum the other day. Note the lackluster commentary :lol:
As or the seat post design - agreed the design blows. Yes an open saddle helps, its not a must. I did the same thing. I actually found a titanium, 4mm allen head tapered cap screw to use in the forward bolt. I think it was part of an SRP ti bolt kit upgrade kit for an old dura ace 7700 caliper. But its a perfect fit. Made it far tidier and easier to adjust.
And FWIW, Pinarello uses the exact same type of seatpost clamp which looks eerily similar... :beerchug:
Yeah, I like it - for what it is, the cost and what it was replacing I'm more than happy. More turds to the people! I'm eying a pair of 1100g wheels so might get this under 8, we'll see.

Intresting, so Pinarello copied Velobuild... who-da-think!? :mrgreen:
Current
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old

Rich_W

by Rich_W

kroem wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:06 pm
More turds to the people!
LOL, TURDS TO THE PEOPLE

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

kroem wrote:
Rich_W wrote:

Yeah, I like it - for what it is, the cost and what it was replacing I'm more than happy. More turds to the people! I'm eying a pair of 1100g wheels so might get this under 8, we'll see.

How is the bike performing now when you have had the time to use it? :)
Is it any good? Any bad thing I can see is the seat post design as mentioned, but also that it seems to be rather heavy judging by the weights you posted.

Do you think its the best Chinese carbon gravel frame, is this something you would recommend?

kroem

by kroem

eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:49 pm
kroem wrote:
Rich_W wrote:

How is the bike performing now when you have had the time to use it? :)
Is it any good? Any bad thing I can see is the seat post design as mentioned, but also that it seems to be rather heavy judging by the weights you posted.

Do you think its the best Chinese carbon gravel frame, is this something you would recommend?
Hey there! Sorry about the late response. Im happy with the frame, except for the seatpost and stupid internal wiring to the rear derailleur (had to route outside the frame). It not HEAVY but sure, its no featherweight.

I would however probably recommend something with a standard seatpost.

(I suspect you might be Swedish, going for that Basso frame?)
Current
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old

kroem

by kroem

Update: Some upgrades, more miles, more sore legs. Gravel is tough, and this bike WANTS to go fast.

Now with GRX di2, Favero Assiomas (SPD hack), Prime aerobar, PINK! Waiting for some new wheels.

Current
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old

Marin

by Marin

Nice setup!

kroem

by kroem

Autumn has come around, road bike is in the trainer so, decided to get a 9-32 for "road mode"
roady
roady
Also got some cheap 650B wheels to go "fatso mode":
fatso
fatso
8.77kg with 2.2" / 2.0" :(

I have a new frame on order, but we'll see if that comes around. This frame will be repurposed as a flatbar commuter(?).
Current
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old

tileman

by tileman

Any news on what happened? Did this become a flat bar commuter? What frame did you replace it with?

kroem

by kroem

tileman wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:44 am
Any news on what happened? Did this become a flat bar commuter? What frame did you replace it with?
Bike got slaughtered, parts ended on on two bikes - frame got sold :)

I should start a new thread with my new one:
469059E6-D9DE-4EF0-90B0-B1F062656232.jpeg
Current
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old

tileman

by tileman

Cool. 2 questions obviously.

Frame? Rotors?

emotive

by emotive

kroem wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:49 am
Bike got slaughtered, parts ended on on two bikes - frame got sold :)

I should start a new thread with my new one
Yes, please do! That looks interesting.

kroem

by kroem

tileman wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:12 am

Frame? Rotors?
Tantan GR039 and Galfer Wave CL (But I'll prolly use XT/XTR's in the end)
Current
P-X Spitfire Ti
Fairlight Strael

Old

kidrob

by kidrob

kroem wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:32 am
tileman wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:12 am

Frame? Rotors?
Tantan GR039 and Galfer Wave CL (But I'll prolly use XT/XTR's in the end)
That frame looks excellent with very strong features, starting from BSA! Looking forward hearing more about it from you :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com