VBR-086 Xiamen Open Mold build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: maxim809, MrCurrieinahurry, Moderator Team

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Excuse me for lobbing this polished turd before your eyes...

Behold the VeloBuild VBR-086.

Kinda like a Faumac-BMC-Canyon whatchamacallit... my 3rd string backup. Long story how I aquired it, but it was hanging around for a while and I built it up a new months back. Good for rain, grit, sidewalks, singletrack, gravel, staircases, Evil Knevel Jumps. Etc. Some have said "dude, the head tube is gonna shear of that thing and you'll die"... I shut them up by riding it down the Philly art museam steps... bbbbbbrrrrrrummp... bbbbbbrrrrrrummp... bbbbbbrrrrrrummp. That's where the movie Rocky was filmed for you Euros and non-Eagles fans... Point is, this thing is built like a brick shithouse...

Quite honestly riding it back to back to my Sworks SL6 disc, rides pretty much the same...

Threw a 8000 mech group on it w/6800 direct mount brakes, Corsa Graphene 2.0 28mm, 53/39 up front and 11-30 out back, Enduro Ceramic BB386EVO, x11SL Gold, Keo Blades, Aliante R1 Open, S-Works SL bar and stem, Metron 40SL TLR wheels, DT RWS Ti Skewers, PRO resin cages... Weighs a mediocre 7570. F/F about 1400.

Attachments
the_beater.jpg
Last edited by Rich_W on Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:54 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

nothing wrong with that... my rim brake moots is like that.. being built with whatever I have laying around collecting dust, trying to spend a little as possible. Even putting MTB pedals on it.
2019 BMC TM01R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD
2020 Parlee TTiR

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Thanks - the outcome of this one is pretty damn good. Don't feel I'm sacrificing anything using this thing on shitty days

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Juanmoretime wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:40 pm
Well done sir for a rain, errand or whatever bike. :thumbup:
Why thank you John! :D

velov

by velov

I mean do we really need anything more than this...let's keep it real folks

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but any reason you didn't go with the 068 instead? I'm deciding b/w the 086 and the 068 and so far I'm favoring the 068 b/c I can get it with a threaded BB, it seems to weigh about as much (1100~ for a 56) and the guy from Velobuild said it's the more aero of the two. I'm coming from a P3 aero road bike and want something that doesn't have an absurdly steep seat-tube and a huge saddle to bar drop- basically, I just want a regular aero road bike- the P3 is fun as hell and definitely unique- not too heavy either, but I'm trying to get into some low level racing and I don't want to be leaving speed/watts on the table riding a less than ideal frame.

Thoughts?
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

velo33

by velo33

I have the same frame and have about 1k miles so far. The other frame is based on the first gen Venge so is probably more aero but the 086 has better tire clearance and the dm brakes. For pure crit bike the other frame is probably better, but can't be by much. I wouldn't let bb386 deter you. I have a thread together bb to run gxp and it is solid and easy to replace.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com