Colnago C40 Mapei 54cm

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

shortroadie

by shortroadie

No doubt a holy grail for me, the first carbon frame to win Paris Roubaix.

Short story behind this bike; went to pick up a pair of Ultegra pedals I found online and when the seller opened the room of bikes, I was greeted by a wall of Colnagos, with 3 C50s, 2 C40s, a C59 Mapei and a C60 Mapei. With a couple of other amazing bikes. After a short chat, he told me that he had a crash a few months ago and was looking to sell off a couple of his bikes. Thought about it for 2 weeks and ended up going back to get this C40 frame.

I think its a mk2 or mk3, but can't be too sure. If anyone can identify it please let me know. Also, I looked at some other posts about C40 Mapeis and realised that the paint scheme is slightly different (C40 words on seat tube) and was wondering if there were different versions of this paint scheme.

Its an old frame and hence isn't in the best condition, with quite a few scratches here and there.

It's built up with a Campagnolo 80th Anniversary Groupset, yes I know that the purists out there will say its not period correct, but I wanted something modern (11 Speed) since it had 135mm spacing. The groupset looks absolutely beautiful and makes me not want to risk damaging it by riding it.

Headset is a Cane Creek one, might consider getting a Chris King one as I think it'll look better, but thats another upgrade for another time.

Have yet to ride it, probably will do so within the next week!

Specs:
Frame: Colnago C40 Mapei 52cm
Headset: Cane Creek EC30
Seatpost: Colnago 28mm
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Boost
Stem: Deda Zero 100 90mm
Bar: ITM 44cm
Bartape: Fizik 2.5mm Endurance
Groupset: Campagnolo 80th Anniversary
Chainrings: 53/39, 170mm Crankarms
Cassette: 11-25T
Wheels: HED Stinger Tubulars

Full bike weighs 7.04kg as in the pictures
I'm absolutely stoked by the weight as it's lighter than my C60, but probably due to the tubular wheels.
Last edited by shortroadie on Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C40 Mapei, C50, C59 x2, C60, EPS, Cristallo, E1, Super
Ridley Helium X

MrMojo

by MrMojo

The mk3 C40 has B Stays so it looks like a mk2 to me. Lovely frame, great find.
2021 Colnago Master
2020 Colnago C64
2017 Colnago C60
2017 Colnago V1-R
2014 Cipollini RB1K
2008 Colnago Extreme C
2005 Colnago C50
2001 Colnago C40
1996 Colnago Tecnos

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Slam the stem and chop the steerer.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

If hes open to selling any other bikes and shipping them overseas.... Let me know

C36

by C36

shortroadie wrote:No doubt a holy grail for me, the first carbon frame to win Paris Roubaix.

Short story behind this bike; went to pick up a pair of Ultegra pedals I found online and when the seller opened the room of bikes, I was greeted by a wall of Colnagos, with 3 C50s, 2 C40s, a C59 Mapei and a C60 Mapei. With a couple of other amazing bikes. After a short chat, he told me that he had a crash a few months ago and was looking to sell off a couple of his bikes. Thought about it for 2 weeks and ended up going back to get this C40 frame.

I think its a mk2 or mk3, but can't be too sure. If anyone can identify it please let me know. Also, I looked at some other posts about C40 Mapeis and realised that the paint scheme is slightly different (C40 words on seat tube) and was wondering if there were different versions of this paint scheme.

Its an old frame and hence isn't in the best condition, with quite a few scratches here and there.

It's built up with a Campagnolo 80th Anniversary Groupset, yes I know that the purists out there will say its not period correct, but I wanted something modern (11 Speed) since it had 135mm spacing. The groupset looks absolutely beautiful and makes me not want to risk damaging it by riding it.

Headset is a Cane Creek one, might consider getting a Chris King one as I think it'll look better, but thats another upgrade for another time.

Have yet to ride it, probably will do so within the next week!

Specs:
Frame: Colnago C40 Mapei 52cm
Headset: Cane Creek EC30
Seatpost: Colnago 28mm
Seat: Selle Italia SLR Boost
Stem: Deda Zero 100 90mm
Bar: ITM 44cm
Bartape: Fizik 2.5mm Endurance
Groupset: Campagnolo 80th Anniversary
Chainrings: 53/39, 170mm Crankarms
Cassette: 11-25T
Wheels: HED Stinger Tubulars

Full bike weighs 7.04kg as in the pictures
I'm absolutely stoked by the weight as it's lighter than my C60, but probably due to the tubular wheels.
Really nice, that’s the generation with oversize tubbing (second generation of C40), prior B-stay and prior prior the HP-chainstay.
1998 or 1999 I would say.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Please tighten the lower stem clamp bolt if you haven't already.

c50jim

by c50jim

Yes, it looks different than my Mapei C40. Mine is B stay and has a number of differences in the paint, although the theme is similar. It's still a very nice bike and a great find for you.

keaton

by keaton

Very nice. Loving the 80th anniversary campagnolo.

micky

by micky

c50jim wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:50 pm
Yes, it looks different than my Mapei C40. Mine is B stay and has a number of differences in the paint, although the theme is similar. It's still a very nice bike and a great find for you.
If you google it you will see there's a few versions with minor variations over the years.
Right now there's a company doing the Mapei graphic and Im considering to do it on my own C40 but not sure due to these minor changes.

anquetil

by anquetil

Nice bike
Put on Berk saddle, its 2 cm lower than this and pull out seatpost for 2 cm, will look much better.

COSTA

by COSTA

lovely looking bike!

colagreek

by colagreek

Stunning!

shortroadie

by shortroadie

It's been awhile since I made the original post so I thought I should update this.

First things first, I realised I had the sizing wrong and it is a 54cm and not a 52cm, which explains why the frame seemed so big at first. Initially measured the C-C instead of C-T of the seat tube.

Also adjusted the saddle height and bar angle, initial photos were taken when the bike was first built and had not been adjusted yet, hence the untighten stem bolt and overly high bar angle. After a couple of rides, had dialed in the saddle height (raised it slightly) and adjusted the bars downwards. Will probably be changing the stem to a longer one as I feel like I can still have a slightly longer reach.

Wheelset has been swapped out for a pair of Bora Ultra 35 Dark Label and it looks so much better.

And after scrolling through WW more, I realised that this frame used to belong to Bely as he's local to me and this frame was probably bought from him by the previous owner, along with a handful more sweet rides.

Yes, that's a terrible bartape, I will redo it when I have the time.
Colnago C40 Mapei, C50, C59 x2, C60, EPS, Cristallo, E1, Super
Ridley Helium X

fitty4

by fitty4

Great find it might be a 1998 since it has colnago logo in the lug at the top tube but again there some small variations maybe some of the variations has happened in the middle of the, before or after tdf. It seems like it has had a paint repair job at the bottom bracket, I think there was sticker once just below the f. derilleur mount, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Did this really Belong to Belly? I bought a c40 from him and it is a size 57.

I noticed you have your inner cables crossed under the downtube, is that on purpose?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

octav

by octav

Nice bike! I am also really intersted in getting a C40.

How is the ride compared to your C60? :)