Lightweight Urgestalt 5259g

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Lucendi

by Lucendi

KCookie wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:50 pm
Hey mate.

Have you taking it for a ride yet to see how it holds up. Any slippage. ?

What was the final weight.?.

Appreciated the PMs throughout the build process. Just a shame Lightweight make such a heavy post.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
This first prototype will not be ridden, although it could be. I will make another one with an impoved method having made a bunch of mistakes with this one.

I have a long wait before spring when I can ride this bike again. Currently it is -18C outside, so it is just hanging on my wall for now.

The final weight is about 72 grams with an additional 39 grams for the Schmolke hardware. The next version will be lighter, around 62 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

hi lucendi, what size diameter for the heat shrink tubing? i might give it a go too but won't look as good as yours.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

mike wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:56 pm
hi lucendi, what size diameter for the heat shrink tubing? i might give it a go too but won't look as good as yours.
I bought eBay item # 332160463406 in diameter 50.8mm.

You can use my template to rough cut the heat shrink tubing before mounting;
Each square is a cm.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

thanks so much lucendi!!! this is helpful. if i get it to look good, will let you know.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

mike wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:26 pm
thanks so much lucendi!!! this is helpful. if i get it to look good, will let you know.
I am happy to help!

A tip when you use the heat gun to shrink the tubing on, do the divot where your hand rests on the hoods first (see pic below), it is the area which requires the most shrinking. A good fit here also ensures that the hoods do not slide around once you ride.

And for trimming the excess I recommend getting a really sharp blade, like an exacto knife. You should be able to score the heat shrink without actually cutting all the way through it and then rip it off.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Thx so much! I will give it a try!

Lucendi

by Lucendi

My second DIY seatpost prototype is finally done and weighed!

The DIY seatpost on the left and the original LW Urgestalt seatpost on the right;

The weight of the seatpost without hardware is 67,5 grams;

The total weight of the seatpost with the hardware is 106,2 gram;

That is a 99 gram weight saving over the original seatpost at 205 grams. :)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Ok Lucendi please tell me how you got that shape of the seatpost? Did you have a mold? The heat shrink worked pretty good first try. Save like 20 grams for me!!!

Lucendi

by Lucendi

This is how I made the seatpost.

The problem with the original seatpost was the hefty weight and the proprietary shape. The shape is a mix between elliptical and diamond shaped.

However, the seattube is a perfect elliptical shape.

The original seatpost does not fit well in the seattube.

So I made a number of test pieces to replicate the inside shape of the seattube.

Once I had the basic shape I contracted it with the thickness of the wall of the carbon tube I was planning on using and printed a mandrel in ABS-plastic.

I roll wrapped 3K twill weave and UD pre-preg carbon fiber around the mandrel.

I cured the seatpost in a home made oven I made from a fruit drier, an old PC case and sound insulation. At full blast at 250W it kept a constant 82C over 5 hours.

For hardware I got some Schmolke parts for a 31,6mm seatpost and test fitted on a mock-up of the seatpost.

I cut the holes for the cradle and pin using a rotary tool and a guide block I printed and clamped around the seatpost.

And this was the result.
Last edited by Lucendi on Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

mike wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:21 pm
Ok Lucendi please tell me how you got that shape of the seatpost? Did you have a mold? The heat shrink worked pretty good first try. Save like 20 grams for me!!!
Great work! How do you like the feel of the shifter hoods now that they are less bulky? :)

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Darimo has Urgestalt on the available soon list. Just noticed and this topic came to mind. Probably Urgestalt owners already knew. :D

http://darimo.eu/en/darimo-t1-loop-seat ... -not-round

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Kumppa wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:21 pm
Darimo has Urgestalt on the available soon list. Just noticed and this topic came to mind. Probably Urgestalt owners already knew. :D

http://darimo.eu/en/darimo-t1-loop-seat ... -not-round
Well spotted!

I emailed Darimo in August this year and asked them about the website update you are referring to. They told me possibly next year they will make it if they have time.

Now I don't care anymore. :)

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

Lucendi thanks you are a genius on the seatpost!!! I like the feel of the hoods even better, not as bulky and plenty of grip. Many thanks!!!!

tonchy

by tonchy

Well done Lucendi. Amazing stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lucendi

by Lucendi

mike wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:35 pm
Lucendi thanks you are a genius on the seatpost!!! I like the feel of the hoods even better, not as bulky and plenty of grip. Many thanks!!!!
tonchy wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:50 am
Well done Lucendi. Amazing stuff.
Thanks! :)