2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.05kg w/ custom wheelset

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

roadchallenge

by roadchallenge

Love threads like this. Did you ever find any similar lightweight rims other than stans ~300g? I’m a bit sketched out using hookless rims especially for road... but will try on my gravel bike.

by Weenie

roadchallenge

by roadchallenge

Love threads like this. Did you ever find any similar lightweight rims other than stans ~300g? I’m a bit sketched out using hookless rims especially for road... but will try on my gravel bike.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

roadchallenge wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:56 am
I talked with my wheelbuilder and also with r2-bike about rim options.
In 2019, there is not that much out there yet for disc brake, carbon rim, clincher tubeless tires, 24 spokes.
And we were not aware of anything else that comes close to the 300g mark.

One limitation of the Stan's CB7 rim is max pressure for 25mm tires at 85 psi (5,9 bar).
But for my weight (67kg) I run them at 55-60 psi (3,8 - 4,1 bar).

One discussed alternative would've been this Mcfk rim:
https://r2-bike.com/MCFK-Felge-28-Rennr ... Optik-matt

But it comes in at +45g each and with internal width of only 18mm.
I wanted to go for a wider internal width.
The Stan's CB7 comes with 21.6mm internal width and makes 25mm tires sit nice and wide and not balloon over the rim.

So no... we did not really find an alternative for the goals in mind with this wheelset.

R2-bike uses the Stan's CB7 for a lightweight disc wheelset offer (with slightly heavier hubs though):
https://r2-bike.com/Laufradsatz-28-Disc ... y-RR-CX-GR

Also, Tune from Germany are building exactly my custom wheelset and are also using the Stan's CB7 rim:
https://www.tune.de/laufraeder/schwarzb ... yline-disc

I got in contact with Tune, because e.g. Continental does not approve their GP 5000 TL tires for use with hookless rims.
Tune said the CB7 rim is a "low profile hooked bead" (quote) and therefore they approve to use Conti GP 5000 TL with their Skyline 20 wheelset.

What are you concerns with hookless rims?
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6 Disc @ 6.35-ish kg: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=159454

roadchallenge

by roadchallenge

justRideIt wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:48 pm
roadchallenge wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:56 am
I talked with my wheelbuilder and also with r2-bike about rim options.
In 2019, there is not that much out there yet for disc brake, carbon rim, clincher tubeless tires, 24 spokes.
And we were not aware of anything else that comes close to the 300g mark.

One limitation of the Stan's CB7 rim is max pressure for 25mm tires at 85 psi (5,9 bar).
But for my weight (67kg) I run them at 55-60 psi (3,8 - 4,1 bar).

One discussed alternative would've been this Mcfk rim:
https://r2-bike.com/MCFK-Felge-28-Rennr ... Optik-matt

But it comes in at +45g each and with internal width of only 18mm.
I wanted to go for a wider internal width.
The Stan's CB7 comes with 21.6mm internal width and makes 25mm tires sit nice and wide and not balloon over the rim.

So no... we did not really find an alternative for the goals in mind with this wheelset.

R2-bike uses the Stan's CB7 for a lightweight disc wheelset offer (with slightly heavier hubs though):
https://r2-bike.com/Laufradsatz-28-Disc ... y-RR-CX-GR

Also, Tune from Germany are building exactly my custom wheelset and are also using the Stan's CB7 rim:
https://www.tune.de/laufraeder/schwarzb ... yline-disc

I got in contact with Tune, because e.g. Continental does not approve their GP 5000 TL tires for use with hookless rims.
Tune said the CB7 rim is a "low profile hooked bead" (quote) and therefore they approve to use Conti GP 5000 TL with their Skyline 20 wheelset.

What are you concerns with hookless rims?
Thanks.

My concern is basically tire coming off during hard cornering. I think I'm more or less ok with riding hookless (thinking to get cb7 laced to dt swiss) with 700x40mm tires at 25 psi I weigh 75kg. But a bit wary riding at 60psi for road use.

I'm assuming continental 5000 TL ok on hookless at under 60 psi for 25mm tire, but almost no road 25mm TL tire will stay on the hookless rim at 90-100psi?

justRideIt

by justRideIt

roadchallenge wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks.

My concern is basically tire coming off during hard cornering. I think I'm more or less ok with riding hookless (thinking to get cb7 laced to dt swiss) with 700x40mm tires at 25 psi I weigh 75kg. But a bit wary riding at 60psi for road use.

I'm assuming continental 5000 TL ok on hookless at under 60 psi for 25mm tire, but almost no road 25mm TL tire will stay on the hookless rim at 90-100psi?
Question is: why would you like to run 90-100 psi on tubeless tire?

At 75kg with wide internal rim width and a 25mm tire I would say this high pressure is not necessary.

Besides puncture protection, another advantage of tubeless setup is being able to run lower pressures. Makes for increased comfort and sucking up the little bumps.

With latex tubes and 25mm tires, I run 20-25 psi higher pressures compared to tubeless.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Received the thru axles from J&L which I ordered on eBay.

Savings of 14g possible for front and rear in total.

Weights of the stock thru axles that came with the S-Works frame:
32g front
34g rear

Weights of the J&L Thru Axles:
23g front
29g rear

Front axles: stock left, J&L right.
You can see that the J&L thru axle comes in a few milimeters shorter.
The weight savings also come by using less material.

Unfortunately, the shorter length also means the axle's head does not sit flush with the fork, but rather more to the inside.
I'm quite sure that functionally this does not really matter, but I do not like the aesthetics of it.

This is how the stock thru axle sits flush in the fork:

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Can you remove the brass washer on the stock axle and replace the J&L one? I had a similar issue when I ordered from J&L, the axle for my Lynskey fark was 4/5mm too long. I had to argue a little with them on ebay, but then i returned the axle and had the correct size replaced. Might be worth contacting them?

justRideIt

by justRideIt

MiloAS wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:20 pm
Can you remove the brass washer on the stock axle and replace the J&L one? I had a similar issue when I ordered from J&L, the axle for my Lynskey fark was 4/5mm too long. I had to argue a little with them on ebay, but then i returned the axle and had the correct size replaced. Might be worth contacting them?
I like your thinking, because I thought exactly the same :D

The brass washer is fixed with the stock thru axles, not removable.

I'll also reach out to J&L, thanks for letting me know.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

After ordering the Darimo seatpost in mid November 2019, today it finally arrived.
Had it built to custom length 280mm, 0mm offset and went for 3k matte finish.

In the box besides the seatpost there was a manual, sandpaper, carbon paste.
With all the hardware, cradle, Dyneema loops it comes in at 83g.

The stock S-Works Pavé seatpost I have cut down to also ca. 280mm.
It comes in at 155g.

So I save over 70g.
The S-Works Pavé seatpost with the metal hardware is noticably more top-heavy than the Darimo, so the most weight saving is at the most upper part of the bike.

Should feel nice when out of the saddle.

I will follow up at later time with pictures of the installed seatpost (once I get on the bike outdoors again...).

Installation was easy, there's a good YouTube video by Darimo explaining how the looping works.

Stock S-Works 0mm seatpostpost

Due to the Darimo's thinner sidewalls, the Di2 battery sleeve does not sit snug inside the seatpost anymore. This would've caused the battery to slide into the frame.
So I used some textured tape to increase the inner diameter by 1-2mm.
Battery sleeve now sits nice and firm inside the seatpost.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

As promised, here some pictures of the installed Darimo seatpost.
And yes, those are Shimano XTR SPD pedals at the moment, so that I can keep my feet warm with those heavy winter boots ;)

peted76

by peted76

That is a fabulous build, thanks for sharing.

Bianchi10

by Bianchi10

Looks good! I am loving my darimo seatpost also. Found that I needed to center the piece that goes through the post because it placed the rear bolt so close to the seatpost that it was rubbing. Yours also looks to be doing so. Might want to double check that so it doesn't rub.

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Bianchi10 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:29 pm
Looks good! I am loving my darimo seatpost also. Found that I needed to center the piece that goes through the post because it placed the rear bolt so close to the seatpost that it was rubbing. Yours also looks to be doing so. Might want to double check that so it doesn't rub.
Good tip, thanks!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Very nicely done. Though I can't say I'm happy to see an SL6 disc build on the site that's now lighter than mine!

by Weenie

justRideIt

by justRideIt

Imaking20 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:03 pm
Very nicely done. Though I can't say I'm happy to see an SL6 disc build on the site that's now lighter than mine!
:thumbup:
Just to let you know Imaking: I went to my bikeshop with a paper printout of your Tarmac... many thanks for your inspiration! :beerchug: