2019 SuperSix EVO Disc 6.96kg / 6.51kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

refthimos

by refthimos

[UPDATE: Build is now complete and even after paint job, bike came in darn close to projections, even though I didn't account for some items, like cages, in my initial spreadsheet]

Time to kick off the build thread. Base bike is a 2019 SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod Disc.

Estimate is based on a 7.7kg stock bike weight (56cm) and my calcs (see below). Estimate is 6.83kg with everyday wheels/tires and 6.35kg with special event wheels/tires.

Starting weight is variable most likely to throw off the final result, as I am basing the 7.7kg solely on an article I found online listing that as the stock weight. The other variable is that I had the frameset custom painted, and I don't yet know know how much weight that added. The final variable is that a few weights are estimated, including the Deda Alanera DCR bar/stem that I *think* I will be using, though it's not yet released.

For now, here is the build sheet and my calcs:

It's not spelled out in the spreadsheet, but with the Cyberdisc wheelset, I'm going to run an Omni Racer 11-28 cassette and Corsa Speed 2.0 TLRs in 23c, so that explains the weight savings between the two wheelsets.
Last edited by refthimos on Wed Nov 08, 2023 6:24 pm, edited 6 times in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

cajer

by cajer

I think you're still missing computer mount and bottle cagese

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

Sure, but then I couldn't show under 14 lbs on the spreadsheet!
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

LewisK

by LewisK

Blimy, the KNOT bar/stem weigh a fair amount!

Jimmyrn85

by Jimmyrn85

This is interesting!

I've ordered the same bike as you and am awaiting its arrival...

My components are similar to yours!

Dura Ace Di2
SiSL2 10 arm
Vision 5D handlebar
Bora WTO 45's
Dura Ace SPD-SL pedals

Wonder how much my bike will weigh, low 7kg's?!

When I saw the bike in the flesh in standard trim, there was a hole infront of the handlebar for the cables to go through which means an exposed bearing?!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Jimmyrn85 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:26 pm
When I saw the bike in the flesh in standard trim, there was a hole infront of the handlebar for the cables to go through which means an exposed bearing?!
Shouldn't be, was it finished being built? The only way the headset bearing would be exposed is if you slam a non-KNØT stem and don't put any headset cover or the made for regular stem cover between the headset and the stem.

brearley

by brearley

The hole in front of the fork doesn't expose the bearings at all.
As above the only way you'd expose the bearing is if you didn't run a bearing cover.

The hole in front is for the cable run into the frame and there is an internal structure so it is impossible for any cable rub around the fork

S6ED

by S6ED

refthimos wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:50 am
Time to kick off the build thread. Base bike is a 2019 SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod Disc.
Hi there, how's the Evo project? Any pics you could share?

Jimmyrn85

by Jimmyrn85

Dan Gerous wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:47 pm
Jimmyrn85 wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:26 pm
Shouldn't be, was it finished being built? The only way the headset bearing would be exposed is if you slam a non-KNØT stem and don't put any headset cover or the made for regular stem cover between the headset and the stem.
I'm gonna be running the Vision 5D fully slammed no spacers, it looks like the hole for the cables will be fully exposed... So water and dirt would get down and the bearing is down there somewhere?! What options do I have?

Jimmyrn85

by Jimmyrn85

brearley wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:18 pm
The hole in front of the fork doesn't expose the bearings at all.
As above the only way you'd expose the bearing is if you didn't run a bearing cover.

The hole in front is for the cable run into the frame and there is an internal structure so it is impossible for any cable rub around the fork
Cheers, removing all that Knot stuff it looks like the hole is 'more on show' I only had a quick look in the store don't have the bike infront of me, but defo looks like it will need covering somehow? As above, will be running the Vision 5D no spacers.

refthimos

by refthimos

This update has been a long time coming, but I finally have my 2019 SuperSix EVO disc build complete. I'll cut to the chase, weight is 6.96kg with everyday wheels, and that is with powermeter, bottle cages, and combo Garmin/GoPro mount:

Here is the build sheet I used; a number of weights were estimates, and getting the frame painted added weight I'm sure (it added 17g to the Farsports bar/stem - see below), but in the end the spreadsheet was only 70g off the final measured weight, with the spreadsheet predicting 6.89kg compared to the actual 6.96kg weight:

Here are some photos of the complete bike, with emphasis on the F1 bar/stem, since it seems there is a good amount of interest in that item. I think it works really well on the EVO, and in particular I'm not sure why some have criticized the top cap - on mine, it is nice and flush and looks great (IMHO):

As you can see in the spreadsheet, I also have a pair of Extralite Cyberdisc wheels that I can throw on for a hillclimb effort. Based on measured weights, that should let me drop 565 grams from the build, for a hillclimb weight of 6.32kg, or 13.94 lbs. For us 'Muricans who continue to resist the metric system, under 14 lbs for a disc bike with some aero properties, powermeter, and cages and mounts is pretty good! I'm just waiting for the rotors, but will post photos with those wheels and hopefully my calculations are correct.

I've only ridden the bike a couple times so far (with the CLX50s), and it rides awesome!
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

refthimos

by refthimos

Unfortunately, I was not able to weigh the frame/fork/seatpost before and after the paint job, but I did weigh the Farsports F1 before and after and the paint added 17.2 grams.

Before:

After:
Last edited by refthimos on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

hannawald

by hannawald

Beuatiful bike, great job!

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Really nice!

Not the first time I see a 'La Grange' Cannondale, but the best one so far. :thumbup:

refthimos

by refthimos

So I threw on the Extralite Cyberdisc wheelset and for some reason that I can't explain, the weight reduction wasn't what I was expecting. Here is the bike with the Cyberdiscs:

With that out of the way, here is the weight savings (or lack thereof):

Bike weighs 6.96 kg with the CLX50s:

Bike weighs 6.51 kg with the Cyberdiscs:

6.96 kg - 6.51 kg = 450 grams

Now, 450 grams is pretty darn good, but based on my calculations, I was expecting to lose approx 550 grams; here is the spreadsheet:

I'm not sure where I went wrong in my calcs, maybe my mechanic put 100ml of sealant in each tire (but I doubt that!), but it is what it is... 6.51 kg not bad but alas that does not get me under the 14 lb barrier.
Last edited by refthimos on Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com