Focus Izalco Max - Budget Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Just like everyone else on here, I bought a Focus Izalco Max Di2 frame off of piermontbike on eBay and built it up. More impressive than the weight of this build, is the budget. I sold my gravel/CX bike for $2,000 to fund this build. Found some other parts and Di2 bits in my tool box, along with some kit to sell, so ended up with an all in budget of $2,495. I realise that most people on here spend more than that on frames alone, but we're a family of four living off one income so it's essential to be smart with the limited discretionary funds I have.

Here's how it turned out:

After initial build

After a few hundred miles to get position dialed in

Ready to ride (with pedals, cages, and K-Edge) it weighs in at 17 pounds/7.7 kgs according to the shipping scale at work. I'm happy with that considering it's a 61cm frame and I'm 6' 5"/182lbs (195cm/82.5kgs). What I'm most happy about (as well as my wife) is that I came in under budget.

Last edited by MountainAddict on Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jobvisser

by jobvisser

That really is an impressive build on such a budget, well done man.
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

jbaillie

by jbaillie

Really good, no-nonsense build here. Those 17-18 frames are a steal at this point. Guessing shops will be doing similar things with the 2019 Cannondales (and all the other brands that switched to the cookie cutter frame design this year).

reedplayer

by reedplayer

jbaillie wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:49 pm
Really good, no-nonsense build here. Those 17-18 frames are a steal at this point. Guessing shops will be doing similar things with the 2019 Cannondales (and all the other brands that switched to the cookie cutter frame design this year).
yes, absolutely ridiculous, how cheap frames of this quality/level can be (...and shows, how overpriced a lot of current frames for shure are...)

a good period to get one of those low price/high end frames, where appropriate just for keeping it as a reserve.

nice build, looks really good, despite the size!

floppyb

by floppyb

Great build, love to see the prices as well!

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

@jobvisser - Thank you.

@jballie - Thanks. After seeing everyone else buy these frames and reading all the ride reports, etc. I figured even if I wasn't crazy about it I could sell it for a profit.

@reedplayer - Thank you. It's funny to see everyone's "sub 6kg build", etc. but then see like a size 52/54cm frame. For a big guy like me, I'm extremely happy to have such a light, snappy bike even if it isn't under the usual WW standard.

@floppyb - Thanks. I wish more people listed the prices like I did. It'd be fun to compare everyone's sub $3,000 builds or sub $4,000 build, etc. See who utilized their $ the best way possible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com