Carbon fiber prototypes, Super low dust covers and more to come!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I'd be in the market for one for an Evo hi mod. If it works out lighter thanthe Veloflyte one I've already got whichis about 1. something grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

AZR3 wrote:
1415chris wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:29 pm
I was always wondering if someone willing to start making carbon dust caps could contact Douglas (Veloflyte) and if possible aquire his molds...? I think it would be easier than starting the whole process from square one. I am not saying he is waiting for business proposals, but worth of exploring this option, of course if it is a feasible option at all.
I actually contacted Douglass this past Tuesday asking if he had any extras left and this is what he said

"You should have asked a few months ago. I did have a stash of them remaining. But I finally recycled my molds and discraded with everything else.
I have no way of making any more.

I'm sorry. I wish I could help you."

So that's not a possibility
Oooh, I feel a bit guilty, I had these thoughts while ago. Nevertheless, shame. On the more optimistic side, there is a hope in jobvisser :)

jobvisser

by jobvisser

Very exciting news!
I have found someone who is willing to make a big mold for me, but I still need to decide on the dimensions for them. If everything goes according to plan the covers should be available in 3 weeks :D. There is also some progress with the timetrial parts, just need someone to test them other than me.

dereksmalls wrote: I'd be in the market for one for an Evo hi mod. If it works out lighter thanthe Veloflyte one I've already got whichis about 1. something grams

The covers will be lighter than 1 gram, the caps I made earlier had a weight of 0,73 0,78 and 0,82 .It might be possible to make a cover weighing 0.5 gram, using very thin carbon and depending on the finish and what pattern is wanted.
Last edited by jobvisser on Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks jobvisser for the prompt PM earlier today, much appreciated. Cant wait to get my cover. Speak soon.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

AZR3

by AZR3

I could use one for my 3T Exploro, 1-1/8 with 46mm outer diameter

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

jobvisser wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:27 pm

The covers will be lighter than 1 gram, the caps I made earlier had a weight of 0,73 0,78 and 0,82 .It might be possible to make a cover weighing 0.5 gram, using very thin carbon and depending on the finish and what pattern is wanted.
I'd be keen for 0.5gm one

jobvisser

by jobvisser

KCookie wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:34 pm
Thanks jobvisser for the prompt PM earlier today, much appreciated. Cant wait to get my cover. Speak soon.

No problem, I have added your cover to the list of orders and it will produced as soon as the mold is ready to use.
AZR3 wrote: I could use one for my 3T Exploro, 1-1/8 with 46mm outer diameter
That can certainly be made, I sent you a pm.
dereksmalls wrote:
jobvisser wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:27 pm

I'd be keen for 0.5gm one
I have ordered the lighter carbon, if you can send me a PM with your favoured finish and pattern I will make them as soon as possible!
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

BmanX

by BmanX

Sub 1g is amazing. Would love to see your TT projects. Always looking for a way to get more aero and if possible even on a road bike for Fondo's and such. Not looking for standard clip on offerings and more like the FARR aero extension and such.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

jobvisser

by jobvisser

I just recieved some pictures of the last prototype mold, made out of wood as it's easier to cnc than metals. These molds have some smart functions in them to reduce the chances of damaging the mold while releasing the covers and to get the covers as smooth as possible. The final metal version will be made after testing this wooden version, this will take about 2 more weeks. We're also working on a website and an instagram page on which we will both post pictures of other prototypes and sell the covers.
ImageImage

welchy

by welchy

Might be in the market for one of these...

godzuki26

by godzuki26

This is very cool stuff. I really like the pictures showing the whole process. Looking forward to your dust cap. I still get to be your first customer right? 😃
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

KCookie

by KCookie

godzuki26 wrote:This is very cool stuff. I really like the pictures showing the whole process. Looking forward to your dust cap. I still get to be your first customer right? Image
Maybe second after me. Image

dton13

by dton13

jobvisser wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:31 pm
Dannnnn wrote: Is the underside going to be profiled so it doesn't leave a gap between the top of the headtube and the top of the bearing?

Most of the ones I've seen/found leave a gap between the two and it looks crap

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Of course it has a profiled underside, the protoytpes closed the edges perfectly on my supersix evo. I have tried it on a Cerveo R3 and it was fine as well, But there isn't an industry standard height so it might require a micro spacer underneath the cover for some brands.
Can I ask what year and model R3? I have a problem with the slamthatstem and Cannondale supersix low-stack covers that it does not go the 1-2mm beyond what is required to cover the bearings. I've been struggling to find a suitable one for a while now.

jobvisser

by jobvisser

KCookie wrote:
godzuki26 wrote:This is very cool stuff. I really like the pictures showing the whole process. Looking forward to your dust cap. I still get to be your first customer right? Image
Maybe second after me. Image

The both of you will of course get your covers out of the first batch :D
dton13 wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Can I ask what year and model R3? I have a problem with the slamthatstem and Cannondale supersix low-stack covers that it does not go the 1-2mm beyond what is required to cover the bearings. I've been struggling to find a suitable one for a while now.
I think it was one from 2014, came stock with 105 but has been upgraded to sram red later. The covers I will be making can basically most headset and if they do not fit in terms of height you can always add micro spacers or replace the pressing ring with a lower one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jobvisser

by jobvisser

A quick update:

As I'm busy studying for exams there has not been much progress on other products. But I there is a way to make really light (4 to 6 grams) shifter clamps out of carbon, which is pretty exciting.

The wooden mold was tested last week and made a perfectly shaped dust cover. The finish was really rough as wood is a natural product which has a load of small lines running through it. Next friday the first aluminium mold will arrive, this mold will be fully polished and then the first covers will be made. The first mold is made for covers with an outer diameter of 46mm which fits most brands. Later 44 (most Steel/titanium bikes) and 48 mm (Specialized and most cross and gravel bikes) versions will be added.