Budget S-works Tarmac Di2 Disc brake build, new member.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: maxim809, MrCurrieinahurry, Moderator Team

VeloCris

by VeloCris

Are you me haha
I just bought this frame and as a complete novice I have no business building something this complicated. I am definitely getting 140 rotors since it should be good for my 63kg body

My wheel builder is prob so frustrated with me regarding the hubs haha. We never seen a disc brake bike with quick release. And post mount brakes. But I saw Sram red eTap bundle with post mount. Can I just buy that? I'm planning on the following.
Let me know if anything doesn't work
Attachments
0g8fty5n2vcs_20200731_132754.png

mlyonsdc

by mlyonsdc

Dont over complicate the wheel issue. The frameset should have come with two rear derailleur hangers use the spare one I beleive it is a std rear derailleur hanger and take the stupid SCS one off.

Once you swap hangers you can run any disc brake wheelset you just have to swap the hub end caps from TA to the QR ones which MOST wheel/hub manufacturers have or can provide with the wheelset. Most new disc brake wheelsets use a std size mountain bike hub setup so your wheel builder shouldnt have to much of an issue coming up with something.

There is ZERO reason to mess with that stupid SCS system I am running a std RD hanger on mine with QR and std non-SCS Roval CLX40's and I have close to 4k miles on it since the build.

Post mount brakes with QR is very common on MTN bike set ups and there are a lot of choices in parts that will work. I believe the Shimano XTR's work and are the lightest post mount you can find, not cheap though.

Good luck with Etap, I wanted to go that route initially and they make/made a groupset with 11spd hyd post mount brakes. I just couldnt find one since they quit making them. Funnying thing is Ulterga DI2 wieghs the same or a little less and you get the programmable buttons in the hoods which I had to have!. I run an E-tap on my S-works Shiv and IMO Shimano DI2 is a little smoother and has some nicer features. I do like the etap on my TT bike though.

by Weenie

VeloCris

by VeloCris

i got a good deal on the red cranks so i think i should just finish off the build in red etap. if i switch to ultegra di2 i would then have to hide a junction box somewhere which i hate and im trying out an integrated bar and stem

this is the groupset i found https://glorycycles.com/sram-red-etap-h ... brake-kit/. should work right?
oh and one more question about the rotors. for the front can i just use 140 with no problem ? i see other builds with this frame with an adapter, im assuming to get 160 to work but if i just want 140 i dont need adapter right ?

tomsneo

by tomsneo

I'm a gear head aslo, all S4's should come in nogaro blue!!! your bike looks awesome btw cant wait for more updates!
Masi 3VC SL

mlyonsdc

by mlyonsdc

VeloCris wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:02 pm
i got a good deal on the red cranks so i think i should just finish off the build in red etap. if i switch to ultegra di2 i would then have to hide a junction box somewhere which i hate and im trying out an integrated bar and stem

this is the groupset i found https://glorycycles.com/sram-red-etap-h ... brake-kit/. should work right?
oh and one more question about the rotors. for the front can i just use 140 with no problem ? i see other builds with this frame with an adapter, im assuming to get 160 to work but if i just want 140 i dont need adapter right ?
I had a 160mm on the front of mine for a little while with an adapter but just went back to the 140mm, there really is no reason to run a 160 IMO. Plus it is one more thing to fiddle with in aligning the front wheel and rotor so it doesnt rub.

LMK how the Etap worked out. That wasnt an option when I was building mine I am glad to see SRAM released another 11sp set up the only thing available was 12 spd stuff when I was shopping.

mlyonsdc

by mlyonsdc

tomsneo wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:15 pm
I'm a gear head aslo, all S4's should come in nogaro blue!!! your bike looks awesome btw cant wait for more updates!
I have about 3500 miles on it since last fall and it is a joy to ride. Super stiff frame never flexes and light wieght and handles really well and is a joy to ride. Still not as fast as my Shiv though, not even close. Even on climbs I am still faster on the TT bike lol. It is faster than my old road bike but I thought I could close the gap a little more with the Shiv with this bike.

VeloCris

by VeloCris

mlyonsdc wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:09 pm
VeloCris wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:02 pm

I had a 160mm on the front of mine for a little while with an adapter but just went back to the 140mm, there really is no reason to run a 160 IMO. Plus it is one more thing to fiddle with in aligning the front wheel and rotor so it doesnt rub.

LMK how the Etap worked out. That wasnt an option when I was building mine I am glad to see SRAM released another 11sp set up the only thing available was 12 spd stuff when I was shopping.
Finally built up. Red eTap is so light idk who said ultegra is the same its not
Build pics here
http://imgur.com/gallery/jY1EZ5R

tomsneo

by tomsneo

Finally built up. Red eTap is so light idk who said ultegra is the same its not
Build pics here
http://imgur.com/gallery/jY1EZ5R
[/quote]

You have a really nice build there you should make a thread, how do you like the Etap?
Masi 3VC SL

tomsneo

by tomsneo

I have about 3500 miles on it since last fall and it is a joy to ride. Super stiff frame never flexes and light wieght and handles really well and is a joy to ride. Still not as fast as my Shiv though, not even close. Even on climbs I am still faster on the TT bike lol. It is faster than my old road bike but I thought I could close the gap a little more with the Shiv with this bike.
[/quote]

Still a badass bike for sure, well your on the right forum if your looking to shed a few grams!
Masi 3VC SL