Sworks Strider Pro - kids first WW bikes

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

natefontaine

by natefontaine

This project started out trying to find bikes for the twins 2nd birthday. Keeping weight in mind the search was on for the lightest strider bike. Then noticed how well their shaped matched an aero road bike, so having their bikes match mine was going to happen.

The Stride Pro model was selected for being the lightest I could find with the added bonus of being silver. One piece aluminium handlebar/stem, bushings instead of bearing for the headset is a good weight savings idea, foam tires and aluminum frame. These are light out of the box at ~2.5kg.

For whatever reason the Pro only comes with white wheels :noidea: a little black rattlecan and some Sworks decals and we have the "Sworks Strider" bike.

Then off down the rabbit hole to make these things even lighter.

Replaced the steel seatposts, which happens to be 22.2mm, with a pair of carbon straight aero extensions, 2 posts for the price of one :) 140gm saved there.

The one piece saddle has a single bolt attachment so only a single hole to drill through the extension, replaced the steel bolt with nylon too.

All other steel bolts were replaced with nylon as well as the stock steel wheel spacers.

The quick release was replaced with a nylon bolt and wingnut for easy adjustments on the fly.

All in all was a fun project. Final weight of 2.182kg

Potential future upgrades:

Could get an aluminium rod and cut threads to replace the steel wheel axles, ~ 60 gm savings.

3d print the seatpost and handlebar clamps, ~ 50gm savings.

Any other suggestions?ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Awesome project! On a different note, have you thought of trimming your rear derailleur cable?

natefontaine

by natefontaine

I have an irrational explination for that. Ive had the cable frey a few times where it exits just before the fixing bolt. I feel like its from the extreme cable exit angle of the 9000. Instead of having to replace the whole cable I run it long, wait for it to fail then cut it shorter and replace a few ferrules. Only looks fred-like for a while. By the time the cable fails at the shifter, ive done this probably 3 times.

rpowell

by rpowell

love this!
i have both the strider and specialized glider and the specialized was quite a bit faster i believe mainly due to the pneumatic tires.
i really wish theses glider bikes were lighter out of the box. 12" carbon hoops rolling on a peter denk carbon frame would be sweet.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

natefontaine wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:37 am
I have an irrational explination for that. Ive had the cable frey a few times where it exits just before the fixing bolt. I feel like its from the extreme cable exit angle of the 9000. Instead of having to replace the whole cable I run it long, wait for it to fail then cut it shorter and replace a few ferrules. Only looks fred-like for a while. By the time the cable fails at the shifter, ive done this probably 3 times.

Fair enough! I like your thinking :)

BmanX

by BmanX

grips to foam,
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

Maybe trim the handlebars while you have the grips off.

Dremel tool to the wheels - seems like lots of excess material that could be removed.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

Cool bikes. And awesome how they match your bike.

Now you got me curious and I went out and weighed my daughters balance bike (it’s what we call them). Hers is wood, and is heavier than yours at 2.78kg.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

joejack951

by joejack951

Very cool project! My oldest son (now nearly 8 years old) was pedaling around at 3 years old after learning to balance on a Strider (going down hills at age 2). His younger brother (exactly 5 years and 1 day) is following in his footsteps, looking forward to the day he can straddle the Islabikes CNOC 14 that his brother rode. The oldest is now on an Islabikes Beinn 20, which much like the CNOC 14 (5.5 kg. if I recall correctly), is quite light for a kids bike at ~7.7 kg. I've considered some component swaps on both pedal bikes but the only real mod I've done is removing the coaster brake from the CNOC 14, installing a BMX hub and freewheel plus a side pull brake. I think that lowered the weight by 100 grams but the increased cycling enjoyment from being able to back pedal was priceless.

As far as further improvements, how about a one piece handlebar and stem? Two carbon tubes wrapped together in together in T formation? How hard could it be? :D

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Love it! Though my boys are now 5 and 7 and quite dedicated little bikers, I don’t think they’d have appreciated me copying my Allez Sprint for them ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

natefontaine

by natefontaine

Love the idea of the carbon T bars, putting that on the list. That will allow the grips to get swapped out for foam. Should save a few hundred gm. Might even buy a spare wheel and try out some dremmeling.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Geoff

by Geoff

Fun! I remember building James' run-bike. I put drop-bars on it, which was way better for him to use.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

This is awesome.
My boy is getting a balance bike for Christmas so it's definitely getting S-Works logos and.paint to match my bike!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3phase

by 3phase

Over the weekend I upgraded my son's Silver Strider Pro too. 3.4kg though that's because of the new alloy wheelset and pnuematic tyres. Added new headset and carbon handlebars and stem . Striders are fun!

floppyb

by floppyb

natefontaine wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:51 pm
Love the idea of the carbon T bars, putting that on the list. That will allow the grips to get swapped out for foam. Should save a few hundred gm. Might even buy a spare wheel and try out some dremmeling.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Have you given any thought as to which pedal bike they might move up to once they are ready? Moved my 3 year old to a Clearly Gecko which was great, but a year later has basically out grown it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com