CamW's Raw Izalco Max Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

CamW

by CamW

Managed to score myself an Izalco Max in my size with a cracked seatstay so fixing it up and obviously making it a little special along the way to dip my toe in the disc roadie realm. Completely stripping all the paint from the frame and clearing it with some simple vinyl decals.

Build list will be something like follows:
Frame & Fork - Izalco Max Disc XS
Groupset - Shimano Dura Ace Di2 Disc + Stages PM
Bars - Fizik Snake R1 40cm
Stem - Kalloy + Ti Bolts
Pedals - Dura Ace
Wheels - Wheelworks Maker SLD
Saddle - SQ Lab Carbon
Seatpost - Undecided (Throw me suggestions for a happy compromise between light and value with setback)
Tires - Vittoria Corsa TL

Hopeful for 6.8 - 7kg

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

That's one light disc frame, although in XS! What't the weight of bare fork/frame? Is FD mount removable? How heavy is RD hanger? You can run regular 12mm axle, right?

by Weenie

BmanX

by BmanX

Clearly you have the skills to do carbon work so can you maybe bond a cheap and light carbon post into the frame and maybe bond the saddle as well? could be a very light set up to an already light set up.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Cervelo SLC 5960g/13.13 lbs

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

was the frame not raw already? it looked unpainted.

CamW

by CamW

Scale weights were original paint without any thru axle parts, or RD hanger. FD Braze on is not removable unless I take the dremel to it. I don't have an RD hanger weight which reminds me a need to purchase one. I will be running regular threaded axles on it.

While bonded in parts are definitely tempting I'm too much a fiddler to commit to that.

Frame was definitely painted. Whole frame picture was part way through the stripping process.

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Nice...

I had an Izalco Max Disc finished around 6.7kg
There was scope for more weight loss
Fuji SL 5.5kg tubs/5.9kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Focus Izalco Max Disc - Final Weight 6.7kg - http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

reedplayer

by reedplayer

looking forward to this one, very curious about the weight saving of the stripped frame, i have a rim brake version with same paintjob!
regards,

reedplayer

by reedplayer

any updates? regards,

CamW

by CamW

Hopefully I'll be putting the clear coat on the frame and assembling it this week all things going well. So sick of sanding :|

Fork came out to 309g clear coated (excluding all hardware).

Frame as below. Might lose another gram or two before clear but that will obviously add a few back. I'll also pop a touch of reinforcement around where I add some holes for DI2 cables.

LewisK

by LewisK

CamW wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:15 am
Hopefully I'll be putting the clear coat on the frame and assembling it this week all things going well. So sick of sanding :|

Fork came out to 309g clear coated (excluding all hardware).

Frame as below. Might lose another gram or two before clear but that will obviously add a few back. I'll also pop a touch of reinforcement around where I add some holes for DI2 cables.

Haha I’m doing mine as we speak, it’s tedious yet very rewarding. Impressive frame weight, well done 👍

reedplayer

by reedplayer

wow, 67 gramm for the frame is amazing weight loss, considering, that you started with a matte frameset.

izalco max seem to have very strong matte coatings. i remember ax lightness claiming a 10 gramm for the coating of vial evo.

so, stripping frame could reduce my rim-izalco-max`s weight (size s) to ca 650 gr. frame/257 gramm fork.

looking forward to the progress of your izalco, please keep us updated. Thank you!

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

What length stem Cam? I've got a spare Extralite in 110mm

CamW

by CamW

Uhhhhh, probably 110mm!

CamW

by CamW

reedplayer wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:33 pm
wow, 67 gramm for the frame is amazing weight loss, considering, that you started with a matte frameset.

izalco max seem to have very strong matte coatings. i remember ax lightness claiming a 10 gramm for the coating of vial evo.

so, stripping frame could reduce my rim-izalco-max`s weight (size s) to ca 650 gr. frame/257 gramm fork.
Some of that weight loss was the metal chainstay protector and a foam tube inside the frame for the rear brake cable so your results may vary.

by Weenie