Winter weight loss- 2 bike builds

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DeanKRN

by DeanKRN

The pulleys arrived, pretty close to advertised weight! The dust covers that sit over the bearings are separate to the main body which is interesting.
7F57AACD-8821-4A5B-97BA-FBBCEC813C8D.jpeg
F0292B37-9DAE-4C89-9B31-AEE5017994D9.jpeg
The feel like they spin pretty well in my hand, but I'll get them installed on Saturday and report back.

My bargain pedals arrived too. Turns out they were 7900's which is fine, they weigh the same. They are also the advertised weight. Going to order up some Ti spindles for them. They are fairly filthy so they need a serious clean. Bearings are smooth though!
0F66A431-9986-4EE9-BEA7-E9FFBDA710E3.jpeg

DeanKRN

by DeanKRN

Picked up a new digital scale from work so I can get more accurate measurements on the complete bike.

Weighed my road bike and it actually comes in at 7.82kg with my Garmin 510 on.

I don't feel very accomplished at hitting my goal since it seems I was overly cautious with the manual scale i was using before.

I think 7.5KG is the next goal. Still need to fit the DA pedals (-40g), J&L jockey wheels(-10g) and USE Seatpost (-110g)that have all arrived.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mlyonsdc

by mlyonsdc

Hello,
I was thinking 8.25kg on that road bike was kind of heavy to start with. Looking at the set up there didnt seem to be anything real obvious to make it that heavy. I saw pedals and shifters. You already addressed the pedals but a pair of new DA mech hyd shifters are 538g which is close to 150g off the 105s you have now and I think the Ultegras are still a 100g and probably significantly cheaper. You already have DA on the rest though.

On the TT bike, aero is everything IMO, I see someone already mentioned the base bar angle. I have been racing tris for awhile and my tri bike is a beast in the wieght dept but also very fast due to me have a decent fit which I am constantly working on. IMO your frame looks like it may be to large, what size is it? Your road bike is a 52 so I am guessing you are close to my size at 170cm? Position is everything on a TT bike and you have zero drop on that bike. You are probably not very aero with that set up so shaving weight is probably not going to net you anything on a TT bike with a poor fit. Actually I dont believe weight on a TT bike really mattes that much. That frameset looks like it is a road bike geometry and not TT, and I believe you elbow pad may actually be higher than your saddle? JMO but Planet X has some deals on smaller TT framesets, pretty cheap and they can be built into pretty fast bikes. If you spend any money on your TT bike I would start with you fit and making sure you have the right frame. If you do duathlons saving watts on the bike pays big dividends on the run!!

DeanKRN

by DeanKRN

mlyonsdc wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:40 am
Hello,
I was thinking 8.25kg on that road bike was kind of heavy to start with. Looking at the set up there didnt seem to be anything real obvious to make it that heavy. I saw pedals and shifters. You already addressed the pedals but a pair of new DA mech hyd shifters are 538g which is close to 150g off the 105s you have now and I think the Ultegras are still a 100g and probably significantly cheaper. You already have DA on the rest though.

On the TT bike, aero is everything IMO, I see someone already mentioned the base bar angle. I have been racing tris for awhile and my tri bike is a beast in the wieght dept but also very fast due to me have a decent fit which I am constantly working on. IMO your frame looks like it may be to large, what size is it? Your road bike is a 52 so I am guessing you are close to my size at 170cm? Position is everything on a TT bike and you have zero drop on that bike. You are probably not very aero with that set up so shaving weight is probably not going to net you anything on a TT bike with a poor fit. Actually I dont believe weight on a TT bike really mattes that much. That frameset looks like it is a road bike geometry and not TT, and I believe you elbow pad may actually be higher than your saddle? JMO but Planet X has some deals on smaller TT framesets, pretty cheap and they can be built into pretty fast bikes. If you spend any money on your TT bike I would start with you fit and making sure you have the right frame. If you do duathlons saving watts on the bike pays big dividends on the run!!
Hey! Yeah, I'd be open to swapping the shifters maybe over winter, going to see how messy it would be first. It's probably the last 'easy win' I have left, other than some shallower tubs.

About the other bike, I paid basically nothing for it, so I guess beggars can't be choosers! It is definitely too big for me though! I've no races planned and I'm moving country in 6 months so that bike will actually go to my dad who's a bit taller than me, I'll swap it back to a drop bar and 5800 shifters. Most likely will build a proper TT specific bike when I'm back home in 2 years. Those PlanetX frames look pretty nice and they are reasonably common s/h here too!

Went out for a quick spin to test out the new J&L jockey wheels yesterday. All good so far, can't honestly say I could feel a difference one way or the other, but marginal gains I guess :lol:

I even dodged the weather to get the bikes cleaned! Here they are drying off!
88348EB3-0932-4375-A39A-F8941822A2D4.jpeg

DeanKRN

by DeanKRN

Not much to update, but a few small things.

Bike is finally back at home where I can work on it!

Should hopefully have the bolts to tune the mechs on Monday. Taken forever to arrive it feels but sure not much I can do about that! Should be nice to drop a few grams with that.

The new saddle is bang on the spec weight of 102g and is very comfy! Double win!

Have seen a good deal on a set of 9120 shifters which would save a good 130/140g. Hoping to sell my 9000's on Sunday which would free up those funds.

Still need to fit the pedals and Seatpost too, then cut that down! Hoping for around 150g weight for the Seatpost with all said and done.

Ordered up some Ti Spindles for the DA pedals for a nice saving, as well as some Traforto tape on the way. 30g for 8 euro is probably the best saving I've made so far.

Progressing quite nicely to 7.5kg I think!

DeanKRN

by DeanKRN

Update time!

The bolts arrived! Only took a few grams off the deraiuluer but they do look much nicer!
A6BBF5DA-E0B6-47BF-95F9-DC8BB0B7640B.jpeg
C8E5AD27-E688-4710-8F8E-7317465738D3.jpeg

The USE Seatpost doesn't fit either of my saddles, not too big a deal since it was only 15 euro. I'll probably order up a Hylix or similar.

Trafortato arrived this morning.

Got a DA9000 chainset for an absolute steal at €80! Means the R8000 will move to the race bike so weight savings on both bikes!

Titanium axles have shipped, they should get here mid next week.

Ordered up a Lixada Carbon outfrount mount as I wanted something that could attach to the stem. Have Titanium bolts for this already!

Found a carbon top cap that I thought I had lost, that'll get fitted to the race bike for a few g saving