Colnago C64 Mapei 48s (rebuild with SR12 EPS)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

nismosr

by nismosr

Order made last week, stay tune will update this page as we go.

one question with you guys - would you put a Sram Etap on it cheaper than V3 or V4 SR EPS, I've seen C64 build with sram etap and they are not bad, what do you guys think ?
Last edited by nismosr on Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

I’m biased as I have etap on my c64 (11 speed). But I love it. It’s just so clean looking. I get that some people insist on nothing but campag on a colnago. But for me it wasnt about the money. Or at least that wasn’t the deciding factor. I already had etap on another bike so I knew how well it works. No junction box, less cabling etc. Having said that I’m not a fan of the axs crankset if you’re going 12 speed.

Either way I’ll look forward to seeing your build! :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

markyboy

by markyboy

Stick campag mechanical on it 👍
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Go full Campy followed by Dura Ace. I would definitely go SRAM if you expect your wife to take the bike during a divorce.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

shotgun

by shotgun

Congrats on the order! Looking forward to seeing photos of the build. Tough call. I like the look and apreciate the simplicity of eTap. However, I'm not a fan of the look of the AXS crankset. Local weather and my high sweat rate has limited me to eTap (if electronic), since I know wire sheaths are prone to peel over time.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Noctiluxx wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:14 am
I would definitely go SRAM if you expect your wife to take the bike during a divorce.
:shock:

That’s funny! :

Test ride the groups and decide! I’ve happily riden eTap for years, but would give Di2 a hard look if I were you.

Long story short, I’m temporarily on SR11 right now. It’s my first ever interaction with Campy and first time back on mechanical for quite some time. It’s nice enough, but I’m an electronic guy now.

welchy

by welchy

I've had Campy 11 SR, Shimano Dura Ace and Etap on my C60. Now I have 12 Spd Record Hydro on my Cinelli and out of all of the others I would always go mechanical Campagnolo..

That's not based on Italian etc, purely on the mechanical feel and the way it compliments that type of bike. Etap would be my second choice, thought it was brilliant but you just lose a bit of involvement with the bike. Nonetheless if you want ease of use and zero problems Etap is the one. Campy is always as much as a love it a bit fiddly for everything, as it's not used as much parts are that bit trickier to locate when you need something quickly. But if that doesn't bother you, stick to Campy!! And of course, Nago on Campy is the mutts nuts.

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

The thing that would put me off putting mechanical on a c64 is the way the cables enter the down tube. I just think it looks a little messy compared to electronic.

welchy

by welchy

TurboTommy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 am
The thing that would put me off putting mechanical on a c64 is the way the cables enter the down tube. I just think it looks a little messy compared to electronic.
True - but I'm sure Calnago did this pretty successfully...

TurboTommy

by TurboTommy

welchy wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:26 am
TurboTommy wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 am
True - but I'm sure Calnago did this pretty successfully...
He sure did. And I’m not trying to say campag looks bad. I’ve seen lots of builds I really like with Campagnolo mechanical. Just saying it looks a little messy compared to etap in my opinion. I may well be in the minority!

welchy

by welchy

Yeh totally - there is no denying etap is just so incredibly clean - and it does work flawlessly.. I'd go Campy/Etap/DA in that order :)

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Nothing else than Campagnolo on that bike! Please post pics when ready (or build progress pics too for that matter)!

ebsilon

by ebsilon

Nothing else than Shimano on that bike!

It is a Mapei remember

Ciaoooo

Moller
Speed of Lite

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Yeah, that’s actually true

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Wow congrats Edwin. If I know you, that is going to be one stellar build. That is a hard decision. Eps or etap. I wouldn’t go axs as others have said the crankset aesthetics. You can go wrong with either etap or eps. For me I think I would go etap just so you can throw a leg over the saddle quicker as it will build up faster!

Did they offer it in rim brake? Did you go disc?