icantaffordcycling's 1x Allez Sprint

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:53 am
spdntrxi wrote:^ kinda agree with Rich.. 42/11 gear... that's like a gravel setup... hell my gravel rig is 40/9
Junior gearing is the short answer.
Just a little over 100 gear inches but I have friends that have gotten away with 42-11. Way better than 52-14 as there are no lightweight 14-28 cassetes (Ultegra is the only option and heavy). Pit wheels at crits use 11-28 cassetes.
You're over complicating this over one part of equipment IMO.
So many standard 52-14 junior bikes easily under 15 lbs at races... BUt it's your "project" :) .
Did you measure your max gearing (in lenght) ? How far from max allowed are you ?
With 30 mm tires you will go longer with each pedal stroke than with 25-28 mm (obviously).

Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

delete

Rich_W

by Rich_W

This thread is a complete train wreck... I love it

AnkitS

by AnkitS

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:48 pm
first build. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.
Third road bike. Second on WW. Thanks, already abusing the shit out of it. Super fun bike. The toe overlap is a little ridiculous but I have 0 other complaints. Crit bike, not a gravel bike, toe overlap wasn't considered when they designed this thing.
LouisN wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:33 am
You're over complicating this over one part of equipment IMO.
So many standard 52-14 junior bikes easily under 15 lbs at races... BUt it's your "project" :) .
Find me an aluminum disc brake bike under 6.8kg with an ultegra 14-28 cassette and 2x. In fact, find me any aluminum disc brake bike that is 15lbs; it's not cheap. 1x is less complicated than 2x, if you disagree you are playing yourself. I also have never seen pit wheels // neutral service wheels with 14-28 cassettes.
Rich_W wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:40 am
This thread is a complete train wreck... I love it
Do you expect more of me?

LouisN

by LouisN

Like I said it's your project.
Notice I never said it can't be done (going 1X and using a "smaller" cassette). Just that nobody ever does it in serious junior racing, for many practical reasons. Heck, I thought about doing it for my kids when they were U15 a few years ago, but ended up concentrating on saving weight elsewhere... ;)
What kind of racing are you doing ? What level, are you with a team or race unattached ?
I've been following junior races as a coach and mechanic for years at national level, both in the n-e US and Canada (never followed the team outwest though).
Never seen anyone racing junior races with anything besides the usual 52-14 gears. Even in "open categories" races.
It's the racer's responsability (if unattached) or his(her) team's to get some compatible wheels in the pits for criteriums. Wether you have Campagnolo, 10 or 11 or 12S (some still have 9S), if you're a junior, etc...
In road races, same thing. You have to give your wheels to the "service car" responsible for wheel changes and have them properly identified if they're "different" (junior, Campagnolo, etc.).

Not trying to convince you to change your mind about your build, just pointing out some evidences in bike racing that I think are important to know IMO.
Good luck on reaching your goal.

Louis :)

Hexsense

by Hexsense

As Allez Sprint disc size 49 rider,
I recommend Elite Cannibal, or their updated version: Elite Rocko cage.
It is much easier to take big bottle in and out of the seat tube, while still preserve ability to get bottle from either left or right side, unlike most side loader bottle cage.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Did some very not weight weenie things recently:
- Rear derailleur from Ultegra RX to XTR
Gained a couple of grams but much more positive feeling during and after a shift.
- Wheels to CLX 64s
- Tires were supposed to Schwalbe pro ones but I didn't get my tubeless valves in time. Wanted to ride it today
Turbo cottons with regular butyl tubes for now.
- Garbaruk chainring showed up but the 130 spider for the sworks cranks is grey. 110 BCD garbaruk chainring ordered.
- Selle Italia Boost SLR S3 works for me, ordered the bling carbino version
- 1190 cassette on the way.
- campagnolo rotors cuz they look cool.

It's heavy and I don't want to think about it but I love it anyway. Ignore the tube zip-tied to my bottle cage, I don't trust clinchers or turbo cottons the same way I trust tubeless.

Edit: I forgot, also got the enve stem and mount.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Works for me too... looks good
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

AnkitS

by AnkitS

7.71kg with wahoo and pedals (no saddle bag or light.)

Here are some final photos with the CLX 64s before I sell them.

Set up tubeless with the new Pro Ones without any issues.

Such a pretty hub.

not the prettiest rear derailleur but it works well.

hoses are a tad bit too long but I'll fix that eventually

Rear light mount I made.

This saddle weighs more than a brick but super comfy.

Liking the dura-ace pedals so far.

mismatched cages for now, thinking about getting enve cages

Think it would look a tad bit better with shallower wheels.
Last edited by AnkitS on Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

The Rovals were cool but I don't think they look good with the tiny size 49cm frame. I think slightly shallower wheels will look better. Since I gave up on any weight goal, these hubs kinda match my frame. 8)

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

In my opinion, save your money. Those hubs are great, amazing in fact. I have I9 wheels on my mountian bike and they are amazing. The engagemt is so instant and it is such a good thing to have when you're moving slowly, trying to crawl and climb over obstacles. I can't imagine needing engagement like that on a road bike though. You're just never really moving slowly enough, or requiring that instant lock up. I think it'd be overkill and you're money could be spent more wisely in other areas.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

CAR dropping some knowledge on the young buck :waving: :goodpost:

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

If you really do WANT that I9 instant lock up... you just have to have it. I'd definitely rcommed NOT getting the blue hubs.... just get black. You won't have your current bike forever, in fact, since you're on this board, I'd say the likelihood of keeping even close to a normal stretch of time is low. Those blue hubs match your current bike, but they probably won't match your next bike and if and when you decide to sell, those blue hubs will severely impact the ease at which they'll move an the money you'll get back on that investment.

Again, not trying to take anything away from I9... I love them. They are soo god on my MTB... so good that I want to grab a 29'er wheel set to swap back and froth with the 27.5+ on my Fuse.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Light bicycle doesn't have the torquoise hubs in stock and I don't want to be without wheels right now so black it is. No gold or pink either...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com