BH Ultralight Evo 5.42kg sub 12 lbs build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

mendiz

by mendiz

Fantastic, this is Weight weenies I love. Congratulations.
Last edited by mendiz on Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

kgt

by kgt

Very, very nice!

by Weenie

campagowlo

by campagowlo

A proper weenie build!

galr1

by galr1

Really like this build, just looks really well done.

jmh

by jmh

Thanks for the kind words.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

The bike looks great. And very nice weight too.

I’ve been thinking about building up a BH, to give my Orbea a friend. Spanish bikes are really nice, and not everyone has one.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
6.05kg

prebsy

by prebsy

Those panaracer SX's are hawt. How are they holding up?

mortirolo

by mortirolo

You have a nice bike and a nice camera too, I guess. :)
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria

jmh

by jmh

mortirolo wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:55 pm
You have a nice bike and a nice camera too, I guess. :)
Thanks.

Not a camera, its just my iPhone!

eric01

by eric01

Very nice bike and sensible parts choices.
AX Lightness Vial Evo, Carl Strong Titanium

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Cost?
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 2 yrs from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

jmh

by jmh

prebsy wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:57 pm
Those panaracer SX's are hawt. How are they holding up?
I did a couple of rides this weekend on them with no issues over my normal glass and thorn filled route.

They remind me alot of the Rene Herse Cayuse Pass Extralight tires I have on another bike. Very similar casing, but the SX's are slick will the Cayuse Pass have a file tread.

I short, I like them. A lot. I don't know where I will get any more in the future, as I got these a few months ago at Excel Sports. I will likely replace them with Rene Herse tires when that day comes.

jmh

by jmh

Did a couple of rides this past weekend for a total of 78 miles. Each of the rides had a couple of climbs and a total of about 4,000 vert feet.

I'm very impressed with the overall ride of the frameset. The bike reminded me of my old R3-SL with a stiffer front end. The same compliant rear and stiff BB, but the front was more planted.

I don't know how much to attribute to the one piece handlebars (I had 3T Prima 199 bars in 26.0mm with Syntace stem on the R3-SL) or the larger diameter fork/steerer tube, but overall the combination felt better to me.

It was just a comfortable as the R3-SL. I was running 23mm Veloflex tires on the R3-SL at 100 psi, not 25mm at 85/88 psi. I have held that R3-SL as my yard stick to measure other bike, and the BH measured up!

The rest of the bike performed magnificently! I tweeked the front derailluer adjustment after the first ride and I can't find much fault with the Extralite rings paired with the KMC SL chain up front. The SRAM Red cassette worked great and I didn't notice any annoying noise from it on the road. The FSE rims braked like all good carbon rims brake- not a good as alloy- but were satisfactory on my dry rides. Not sure they would be my choice in the wet. I didn't have any pulsing or grabbiness as another member has noted. The bottle cages didn't lauch the bottles over broken road surfaces or when descending. The Bottom Bracket was silent. I did use Wako's Brake Protector as I do will all press fit BB installs, so I didn't expect any problems. This is the stuff: https://www.ebay.com/itm/WAKOS-Japan-Br ... 2749.l2649

All in all, I think I accomplished my objective of a weightweenie bike with no compromises.

However, forgive me brothers, for I have added weight to the bike. I added 19.7 grams in the bolt tuned Bontrager Garmin mount. Swaped out one of the bolts for an alloy one. I really like this mount... super clean and low profile.