BH Ultralight Evo 5.42kg sub 12 lbs build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmh

by jmh

Long time weight weenie, reformed and now back to the addiction. I might have a problem.

My first ww bike was in the 90's modifying a Specialized Allez Epic Carbon bike with then novel components like Scott Drop bars, latex tubes, ROX rim strips, and no real focus or money. Then I went to a Litespeed Classic in 2000, followed by a Cervelo R2.5 which after a seatstay unbonded became a became a warrantied replacement R3. That got nicked and with the insurance money I upgraded to my last real ww build a sub 6kg Cervelo R3-SL in 2009. That frameset was sold some of the components were moved over to a 2014 Cervelo S3 that was light, but more focused on aero.

In the years since then I've gravitated towards bikepacking with a Salsa Fargo, gravel bikes with a Giant Revolt Advanced O, a Black Mountain Cycle steel road bike with 33 mm tires, an aluminum Specialized Allez Smartweld (retired), a Lynskey Premier all arounder, a Trek Domane (retired), and still have that Cervelo S3. None of the them are what I would consider a ww build, but ww influences appear in all of them except the Fargo and the Black Mountain Cycles. Earlier this year I got interested in a ww bike and thought a sub 12lb (5.44kg) that was built without compromises was very possible.

My frameset requirements were as follows: Rim brakes, 30mm bottom bracket compatible (so I could swap in a Quarq power meter easily if I wanted to), round (ideally 27.2) and therefore upgradeable seatpost, Shimano mechanical drive train, would take a 28mm tire and was comfortable but not flexy, and of course light.

Other build requirements were that I also wanted clincher wheels- I’ve done enough tubular wheels in the past- and given the thorns and cactus in my local area I wanted something easy and relatively inexpensive to repair. I wanted a compact 50/34 crankset and a 11-30 cassette to allow me to climb some big hills. And I didn’t want stupid light parts that would be difficult to live with, introduce flex or otherwise negatively impact performance or perception and therefore confidence. And I also wanted to use a Specialized Toupe saddle that just works for me. Fairwheel Bikes was my go-to for most of the components and they continue to provide great selection and customer service. Finally, I’m mid 160lbs (75kg) and only recreational and fitness rider. My racing days are over.

This post will updated once I have a chance to get some picture of the final build in good light. For now just the build list and the scale shot.

Complete Bike:
Last edited by jmh on Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Weenie

jmh

by jmh

I selected the BH Ultralight EVO as it’s advertised weight in the 700 gram range was a good starting point and met all of my criteria. Glory Cycles had them on sale for $1500 for a prior year closeout. It took a bit longer than I thought to actually get it and it arrived about 6 weeks after placing the order. I thought a size large would be between 760 and 785 grams based upon what I read here, but anything under 800 would have been expected. Was a little disappointed to get one that weighed 839g with hanger and some cable stops and without the headset and seat clamp. The rest of the cable stops and bottom bracket cable guides/covers added 11.5 g.

The fork was 304.2g uncut and I removed 12.6g and that was better than expected.

Last edited by jmh on Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jmh

by jmh

The headset was upgraded to FSA SL bearings. The top bearing came in after I built the bike this past weekend so some math was required to get the weight of the headset at 41.5g.

SL Top Bearing
Standard Top Bearing

I replaced the dust cover with a Veloflyte (remember them?) ultrathin one. Headset spacers were also from Veloflyte, 15mm below the stem and 3mm above it. The dust cover was .7g, spacers were 3.5g. Cane Creek headset compression plug (5.4g) was upgraded to a Carbon-Ti top cap at 3.8 grams with bolt.

jmh

by jmh

For handlebars and stem, I selected the Bontrager XXX integrated combo. The reach on the bars was a bit more than other brands. Normally I ride 110mm or 120mm stem with bars with 80-85mm reach, so I went with a 100mm stem with bars with 93mm reach and 420mm wide. This integrated unit yields the same effective reach and came in at 245.4 grams. It typifies selections- very light but doesn’t negatively impact performance.

That same philosophy was applied when selecting the seatpost. I went with a Ritchey Superlogic at 300mm. I’ve got this seatpost on my Lynskey and it just works. I upgraded to the oval 7x9 clamp and added a Ti bolt for the clamp and it came in at 137.8g. The Specialized Toupe saddle was exact one that I had on my Allez and the same model as I have on all of my other road bikes. I weighed in at 156.9g. The seat clamp is a Tune Schraubwurger at 10.8g.

I was pleased the matte color of the bars/stem and seatpost matched perfectly to the frameset.

Less these:

Saddle and seatpost clamp:

jmh

by jmh

For wheels, I went with the folks who have built several wheelsets for me- Fairwheel Bikes. These are FSE 25mm Carbon Clincher rims, Carbon-Ti hubs, and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. 20/24. They came out to 535.8 front and 687.1 rear. I didn’t get pictures of the weight before mounting the tires and tubes for some reason. I paired the wheels with Panaracer EVO Competion SX tires. I’ve come to appreciate the Panaracer built Rene Herse tires I have on a few on my bikes and these were under 184 each. The tubes are Tubolito and held air well for the last several weeks and are under 40 g each. Quick releases are Extralite Streeters weighing 29.8.

jmh

by jmh

For shifting I went with mechanical Shimano Dura Ace R9000. It just works and I really like the ergonomics. Light enough. Don’t need to make sure it is charged prior to riding. I can fix it blindfolded with no magic or gremlins to worry about. Front mech was 70.3g, rear was 158.9g and the shifters were 367.7g for the pair.

Cane Creek ee brakes seemed best to fit with my philosophy and added Swiss Stop Black Prince pads as recommended by FSE. The calipers were 85.7g for the rear and 88.0g for the front. The pads were 29.6g for all four.

jmh

by jmh

For crankset, the only choice was THM Clavicula. Matte, 172.5 length and compact they weigh 295.7g. I’ve got Praxis rings on almost every other road bike on Quarq power meters, but decided to go with Extralite RC2 50/34. Shifting isn’t as good on the stand, but I don’t notice it while riding. They are 94.9g. Chainring bolts are Carbon-Ti weighing 8.6g.

For pedals, I’ve been on Speedplay X series for more than 25 years. They work for me. I had a set of butterflies that brought these X-1s to 132.6g. I used the FSA BB386 bottom bracket (76.4g) that came with the frame and it properly shimmed and spaced it works flawlessly with the Clavicula.

jmh

by jmh

I’ve used Nokon housing for braking in the past and have it on several other bikes, but always used Shimano housing for the derailleurs. After much research, I decided to go with Alligator I-Link brake housing with Superior Shine cables at 61.9g cut to length and Mini I-Link/Superior Shine for the shifting at 44.2 cut to length.
Brakes:
less

and Shifting:
less

For the chain KMC X-11 SL came out to be 217.6g cut to length. The cassette is a SRAM XG-1190-A2 in 11-30 weighing 182.8g. Do the make more noise than Shimano cassette and chain? A little. Is it bad or annoying? Not at all.
less

jmh

by jmh

Finishing things up. Deda Elementi Perforated tape weighs 32.9g less the excess and comes with 4.1g carbon look bar end plugs.
less

Bottle cages are the Alpitude Superleggero at total of 18.6g for both and I use their ti bolts at 6.4g total.

I just finished up building it over the weekend and headset top bearing came in Tuesday. Total weight of the complete bike adds up to 5424.8 grams- or 11.96. Goal achieved!

I only have test rides around the block thus far. But first impressions are very positive. It is unbelievably light to pick up, but solid and confidence inspiring when riding. Shifting and braking is very good. Admittedly, this is just around the block, but good nonetheles.

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

nice build. i feel you pain on the frame weight. I've got a 2014 evo size large that came in at 823 grams. see my sig nature for the build if interested. i've had it down to 13.99 lbs, but not its rigth at 15.00 with training clinchers. wonderful bike and plenty light for me

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Very nice bike and nice write up. Thank you for weighing and posting all the weights! Where did you get the Veloflyte dust cap????? I need one too!!!!
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

flying

by flying

Nice Congrats :beerchug:

Man that fork is nice & light too

jmh

by jmh

godzuki26 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:37 pm
Very nice bike and nice write up. Thank you for weighing and posting all the weights! Where did you get the Veloflyte dust cap????? I need one too!!!!
Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate seeing this detail on others builds. Your build was one that put the BH on my radar.

The Veloflyte stuff I got from Doug Dixon the man who made it in 2012.

oldturd

by oldturd

i keep refreshing in hopes of seeing the finished product.. what gives! lol

fantastic build list!

by Weenie

jmh

by jmh

A couple pictures: