The 'why not' build: Factor o2

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I had been on the lookout for a disc o2 to give disc another go - and then a killer deal on a rim brake frame popped up. At the price, and considering I had a bunch of parts that seemed well suited for the build, I figured it was worth a shot. I expected a reasonable weight without much effort and knew they had pretty good tire clearance. My goal for the second bike at this point is to ride when I don't feel like hammering (that's what the Wilier is for) and have some more comfort on broken and mixed surfaces. I was definitely not expecting this thing to be as compliant as it is (which is fantastically comfortable).

Final build TBD. It will get a hyperstem (being refinished) and probably a different seatpost.

Lighter setup (how I've ridden it so far):

And the more adventurous setup (haven't ridden yet):

Pleasantly surprised by how easily this thing swallowed up 30mm tires...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice, can you actually remove that rear wheel (with the 30mm) tires on it without deflating them to get past the rear BB area? Looks pretty tight.
Also, what outer width (at the brake track) are those rims? Looks like you didn’t have to switch spacers around (can’t remember if you switch them or just use thinner ones etc) on the EE brakes to accommodate wider external rim widths.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Yeah, don't have to deflate the tire. I swapped the wheels on and off 3x yesterday while they were inflated (washing the bike and setting up brakes for these wheels). Maybe I'll try to snag a better photo - because the chainstay clearance isn't right at all. This thing clears 30s easier than the Dogma cleared Arenbergs.

Actual width is 28mm at the brake track I believe. The FSE are just over 26mm which I find to be close enough going up in size. In my experience the same is not so true going from 26mm (Reynolds) to 24mm (Bora). For that swap, the Boras did not brake well without adding an additional spacer. With this setup, the DA fit with the barrel adjuster all the way out and the FSE I just tighten down half a dozen-ish turns.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

That rear clearance would have me sh**ting myself down a big descent.
Cant wait for my O2 to be built up now. Will be heavier than this as its disc and more standard components but glad to hear the ride isnt too rigid.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

What does that have to do with a big descent?

Isn't the requirement like 2mm of clearance? This is at least 4mm. Are we looking at different things?!

And that's a freaking 30mm tire! On a rim brake road bike! I'm still not even sure it's going to be necessary (or enjoyable)!

KarlC

by KarlC

It had to just be this photo that gave them pause, cause now that you added more photos of the clearance in the rear it looks like you got lots of room for them 30s.

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

very nice sharpie in pooper

Imaking20

by Imaking20

So riding tires this big is hilarious. I spent half of my ride giggling as I rode over stuff I normally avoid. That said, it definitely gives up a fair bit of road feel in the process and takes away a bit of the snappiness from the bike. I'll mess around with tire pressures a bit to decide what I like best for this setup - but all in all, it's a fun contrasting setup to the FSE and Arenbergs.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

More air please...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Imaking20 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:52 am
So riding tires this big is hilarious. I spent half of my ride giggling as I rode over stuff I normally avoid.
Yup, hilarious. When I ride my 30mm's, I ignore everything but deep potholes. Just pick a line and keep going. On bad roads with a more typical tire setup, I'd be weaving to avoid every crack and rough spot. The real benefit is that road surface quality is no longer a consideration in my route planning. Bad roads that I used to avoid or hated riding are now not given a thought. In fact they are now as enjoyable as those with a perfect surface. Any rough descents in your area? Check them out with your 30's. :thumbup:

As for pressure, don't know what you weigh, but if you can get it down to 65psi and still tolerate the feel, it's a damn magic carpet ride.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

FYI you should probably remove a pad spacer and reset your brakes, its not set up ideally

kode54

by kode54

i have to try a set of 30mm tires. As much as I like the 28's...i bet the 30's feel even more comfy!
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Imaking20

by Imaking20

It's a couch with handlebars. I did one of my regular-ish loops yesterday which is out through a bunch of farm roads with VERY chunky chipseal. I could barely tell. I'm still surprised how much different is is compared to my 27mm tubs. But it's also pretty sluggish - I may have to swap the FSE on more often to get a little rowdy.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Imaking20 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:56 pm
What does that have to do with a big descent?

Isn't the requirement like 2mm of clearance? This is at least 4mm. Are we looking at different things?!

And that's a freaking 30mm tire! On a rim brake road bike! I'm still not even sure it's going to be necessary (or enjoyable)!
Very nice looking bike.
One question, isn't there a rubber grommet to close the hole in the bb?

gangbang

by gangbang

What chainrings are these? Looks like Stronglight CT2?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com