Focus Paralane Etap Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Just starting out. Hopefully I have it rideable over the weekend. Seatpost is a temp until the carbon hylix arrives. Sram Etap Hydro. Berk saddle is on as are the salsa cowbell handlebars and kalloy uno stem. I currently have Hunt Wheels on there until my farsport gravel wheels arrive.

This will be my rain/dirt and mixed road/winter bike. Seems almost too pretty to use it for that stuff (but I will). This will replace the raleigh sitting behind it.

More pics to follow, I quickly snapped this one on my way out.
Attachments
focus.jpg
Speedplay is the devil!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Starting to take shape. Waiting on a carbon post. Have to use some acetone on the stem and I'll probably flip it to cut down on spacers. So much lighter than the raleigh and I'm still waiting on delivery of carbon wheels..

I love the the paint as well:

Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

....Don't flip it............

gurk700

by gurk700

^ what he said. I'll take more spacers over flipped stem any day!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

you've got etap and I still see cable mayhem. What's with the brake hoses?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Mr.Gib wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:03 am
you've got etap and I still see cable mayhem. What's with the brake hoses?
Went from 42 cm bars that came on the bike to 38 cm bars. I'd love to cut the hoses and have to do a full bleed, but it's been raining 4-5 days a week here and I'd much rather spend that time riding instead of playing vanity for the internets! :roll:

mudguards are on - neat system focus came up with. Waiting to see if the blips show up today and then I'll wrap the bars and it's ready to go.
Speedplay is the devil!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

mdeth1313 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:48 am
mudguards are on - neat system focus came up with.
The mount/unmount convenience of the mudguard system is nice but there is a flaw. The lack radius on the mudguards themselves make them quite flexible. This will cause the rear mudguard to smack down on the tire every time you go over a bump. Some owners add an additional support which totally defeats the purpose of such a clean system. The solution is surely the switch the mudguard for a stiffer version that can be attached to the Focus supports.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Not too sure about that. I don't know if it's changed or not but when I tested it out I purposely went over every crack and bump on my street and my street is pretty crappy. It never moved, never slapped down. We'll see.
Speedplay is the devil!

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

It's pretty much done (just need to install the blips). I think I've got the perfect bike for riding to work, crappy weather and for exploring many of the dirt roads I always pass by on my rides.

The farsport wheels showed up the other day - no spoke holes, 28 spokes (cx-ray) front and rear and they came in at 1382 g, a whole 2 g over the claimed weight. I'm running speciaized roubaix 2bliss 700 x 30/32 tires - when I measured the width mounted they came in between 33-35 mm wide. The fenders work flawlessly with the wider tires and the ride is quite nice. My homemade prestaflator worked perfectly to seat/inflate the tires as well.

The entire build is sram etap except:
Wheels - farsport 35 x 26
Bars - salsa cowbell carbon 38 mm
Stem - kalloy uno 70 mm
Bottle cages - cheap carbon from amazon

Top pics were from a ride to/from work with the headlight (still dark at 4:30 am).
Attachments
beast 1.jpg
beast 2.jpg
farsport.jpg
final.jpg
prestaflator.jpg
Speedplay is the devil!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Looks great. IMO the Paralane is an under-rated bike. Very light and can do gravel or road. Also, the fender system makes it the perfect winter trainer or wet road bike. The conservative geometry is well disguised by certain styling features. If a person was limited to one bike, it would be hard to top the Paralane. The only limitation is that the stack numbers are pretty high. For some, getting the bars low enough will mean a negative rise stem - not the best look on this bike.

I have a minor beef with the routing the rear brake hose. A tricky bend to get it through the exit port in the chainstay. Front brake hose routing a touch nasty as well. But once installed your good for a while. Electronic shifting is definitely the way to go as you pretty much have to remove the bottom bracket to change any mechanical cabling.

by Weenie