Lynskey Helix Pro Disc

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

MiloAS

by MiloAS

As a re-entry into cycling I thought about investing in a frame that would either last a very long time, or keep it's value well. Lynskey had an impressive sale on, and i'd convinced myself that titanium was the way to go. Despite the pretty high weight of the frame, I was convinced that at the sale price I bought it, this frame would be a good investment.
So, frameset, fork and headset will be as follows

Groupset is a mix of Sram red (shifters + crankset) and force (front and rear derailleur, cassette), with TRP HY/RD brakes. The crankset i'm undecided on. I can get a rotor 3d crank and extralite/sram red rings for a little under £280.
A sram red crank and extralite ring will be around the £300 mark but weigh a bit less. The crankset will be second hand, so i'll need to swap the chainrings out for something new to prolong the life of the drivetrain
Despite the weight savings of red/extralite, i really like the way that rotor+red rings look (see below), and i'm tempted with them as they are the cheaper option.
(https://www.cycleexif.com/six-eleven-nbs-road)

For the purposes of dialling in the fit i'll be using a spare Thomson in line seatpost with a Flite sadle, and a £5 Canyon stem with Ritchey Neo-Classic bars. Long term i'm planning on a tune stem and titanium seatpost if i can get one second hand.

The wheels are the main component giving me grief at the moment. I'm torn between the DT swiss pr1600 dicut 21, which are half price and come in at 1525g

Or a pair of superstar 32h laced to mavic open pro disc rims, coming in at 1740g, and are around £130 cheaper.

Matched to GP5000 tires, or vittoria corsa g's.

Any suggestions on wheels/cranks would be really helpful.
Frame likely to arive some point next week, and the build should finish mid/late June whilst i wait for good deals to come up.

welchy

by welchy

This sounds like a very similar plan/build idea that I originally had. I was looking at the R380 disc with a similar idea. I’d decided on DT Swiss rims, the one place to save weight is the wheels.. 32H hubs at almost 1800g is very very heavy!

I was going DT Swiss but some fulcrums popped up I couldn’t turn down. Have you thought about campag Zonda discs? Some great deals on them at the moment. Save weight cost effectively and shop around. I purchased my entire groupset with 5 different email accounts so I could get 12% discount off each order as a ‘new’ customer. Sounds cheeky but it saved me circa £200 on an already cheaper groupset and I ordered other parts from Germany as again cheaper than the UK.

Also good idea re stem, although I’ve come to the conclusion I should’ve forked on better bars as by the time the hydro cables have been routed through it’s too late to change them at a later date...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

welchy

by welchy

Ps have you checked chainreaction as their lynskey deals are so cheap!

MiloAS

by MiloAS

welchy wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 am
This sounds like a very similar plan/build idea that I originally had. I was looking at the R380 disc with a similar idea. I’d decided on DT Swiss rims, the one place to save weight is the wheels.. 32H hubs at almost 1800g is very very heavy!

I was going DT Swiss but some fulcrums popped up I couldn’t turn down. Have you thought about campag Zonda discs? Some great deals on them at the moment. Save weight cost effectively and shop around. I purchased my entire groupset with 5 different email accounts so I could get 12% discount off each order as a ‘new’ customer. Sounds cheeky but it saved me circa £200 on an already cheaper groupset and I ordered other parts from Germany as again cheaper than the UK.

Also good idea re stem, although I’ve come to the conclusion I should’ve forked on better bars as by the time the hydro cables have been routed through it’s too late to change them at a later date...
I hadn't considered the Zonda's, they look really nice actually! They're roughly 100g more than the DT swiss for the same price, but look like they have better bearings and look a lot nicer as well.
There are also some good deals on Fulcrum's going around here, racing 5's especially. Which ones did you go for in the end?

The only parts giving me gried now are the wheels and crankset options, otherwise i'm fairly set on which parts to buy.

ernestkus

by ernestkus

Hi there, another Helix Pro Disc user here
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 09.06.43.png
I believe mine is 2018 model with triangle top tube
2019 they change the toptube shape to diamond shape I believe
The fame itself is on the heavy side, 1810gr for size SM (small medium)
I weight the dropouts, brake mount, and seatclamp, 103gr in total
The Lynskey fork is 414gr uncut

The bike in picture is about 8.5kg
Wheels are custom, Onyx hubs, filament wound carbon rims, sapim laser & race spokes, 1648gr in total
Finishing kits are Uno stem, Specialized Hover alloy bars, Hylix seatpost, BXT saddle
Ultegra gruppo with praxis 48-32t crankset
As for the bartape, I just experimented with it, got a bunch of it on sale for $0.75/pair. So I spare some and made harlequin pattern :lol:

Overall I'm pretty happy with the bike, it climbs surprisingly well
Never had any problem with it

MiloAS

by MiloAS

ernestkus wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 3:41 am
Hi there, another Helix Pro Disc user here
Screen Shot 2019-05-25 at 09.06.43.png

I believe mine is 2018 model with triangle top tube
2019 they change the toptube shape to diamond shape I believe
The fame itself is on the heavy side, 1810gr for size SM (small medium)
I weight the dropouts, brake mount, and seatclamp, 103gr in total
The Lynskey fork is 414gr uncut

The bike in picture is about 8.5kg
Wheels are custom, Onyx hubs, filament wound carbon rims, sapim laser & race spokes, 1648gr in total
Finishing kits are Uno stem, Specialized Hover alloy bars, Hylix seatpost, BXT saddle
Ultegra gruppo with praxis 48-32t crankset
As for the bartape, I just experimented with it, got a bunch of it on sale for $0.75/pair. So I spare some and made harlequin pattern :lol:

Overall I'm pretty happy with the bike, it climbs surprisingly well
Never had any problem with it
Looks awesome! 8.8k is actually a lot better than i expected with discs and deepish wheels. Glad to hear it climbs well :D
The list the frame weight is 1.67kg on their website, we'll see how close to that it actually is.

I think there's also a lot of room to cut weight with the TA, i'll go for some J&L aluminium ones from Taiwan; at £14 or so a pop it hardly breaks the bank and they're about 20g each. I might try a cheap chinese carbon seatpost clamp as well - there are a few 6g ones around ebay, but they seem to have conflicting reviews.

The majority of the parts have been ordered now. Frameset arrives on Wednesday. HS, chain, expander, derailleur clamp, stem etc. etc. will be arriving be the end of this week I imagine.

I bought the new sram red crankset 170mm but am already beginning to regret it. It might be one of the lightest road cranks out there, but the all black crank + chainring combo is quite boring, especially when the majority of the other parts will also be black.
There's a 30 day return window, so i might send them back if i can find the older style red crank with the red accents on ebay/classifieds with 110bcd. Otherwise i'll stick with it .

I'm still deciding between the DT swiss 1600 dicuts and the Campagnolo zonda c17 for the wheels. There's about 80g difference and 1mm inside width between them for the same price.

ernestkus

by ernestkus

I use J&L TA, please notice the spec when you buy them. The thread pitch for front and rear are different
The front thread pitch is 1.5mm and the rear is 1.0mm

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Updates: Frame arrived!

Unfortunately the measuring scale I was going to use has run out of battery, and i've repacked all the parts and can't really be bothered to unpack and reweigh them. I did a little mock up with what I did have, and even put on some 26" wheels I had lying about. Annoyingly, Linskey didn't mention (or i didn't read) that they would send an expander plug with the forks, so I'd bought an extralite ultrastar 3 following the good reviews i'd read on here.

I didn't set my saddle height at all, I'm hoping it'll be lower than that as it's a pretty exreme drop...

Waiting on the cranks and wheels to arrive and it's pretty much finished! Unfortunately I won't be able to build it up until mid June.
Attachments
IMG_20190529_162744743.jpg
DSC_0374.JPG
DSC_0382.JPG
IMG_20190529_175716922.jpg
Last edited by MiloAS on Thu May 30, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

MiloAS wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:04 pm
Direct Google photo links are invisible to everyone but owner. I'd attach those to the post.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Klaster_1 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 4:08 am
MiloAS wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:04 pm
Direct Google photo links are invisible to everyone but owner. I'd attach those to the post.
Thanks for the headsup, i had no idea

ernestkus

by ernestkus

Great! please update us with your build!

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Settled on some wheels, Hope RS 4 Hubs laced to Pacenti sl25 rims with GP5000 25mm. They look ace and add a nice flair of colour to the bike. Picked up a Superstar components Garmin mount - I wanted to mix it up a bit from the normal K edge stuff, and the Superstar mount is made in the UK :)

Got round to building it today. Ran into a few problems that stopped everything from coming together.
IMG_20190820_145304.jpg
1) Didn't have the bolts to attach the rear HY/RD caliper
2) Didn't have any rounded allen keys for the front HY/RD caliper
3) Crown race didn't fit the tapered section of my fork. Completely confused with this one, unsure whether or not fork is too wide, or if I should've got a split fork crown. I bought the one recommended by Lynskey, so not sure why it's so problematic.
IMG_20190820_171519.jpg
Also, in my rush to get everything built I forgot to weight anything... So I'll weigh everything going on now and work backwards/use internet weights.

Looking for some advice on whether or not to use grease on the seat post... I normally do, without question, but Lynskey recommend not using a paste with titanium/alumunium posts. There's an insert inside the seat tube that's aluminium, so there's no alu-titanium interface as far as I'm aware.

Future plans:

- Lightweight through axles (probably J&L)
- Superstar components/Thomson seat clamp
- Carbon/titanium (J&L seat post once I've decided on layback
- De-sticker the wheels

ernestkus

by ernestkus

MiloAS wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 pm
Settled on some wheels, Hope RS 4 Hubs laced to Pacenti sl25 rims with GP5000 25mm. They look ace and add a nice flair of colour to the bike. Picked up a Superstar components Garmin mount - I wanted to mix it up a bit from the normal K edge stuff, and the Superstar mount is made in the UK :)

Got round to building it today. Ran into a few problems that stopped everything from coming together.

IMG_20190820_145304.jpg

1) Didn't have the bolts to attach the rear HY/RD caliper
2) Didn't have any rounded allen keys for the front HY/RD caliper
3) Crown race didn't fit the tapered section of my fork. Completely confused with this one, unsure whether or not fork is too wide, or if I should've got a split fork crown. I bought the one recommended by Lynskey, so not sure why it's so problematic.

IMG_20190820_171519.jpg

Also, in my rush to get everything built I forgot to weight anything... So I'll weigh everything going on now and work backwards/use internet weights.

Looking for some advice on whether or not to use grease on the seat post... I normally do, without question, but Lynskey recommend not using a paste with titanium/alumunium posts. There's an insert inside the seat tube that's aluminium, so there's no alu-titanium interface as far as I'm aware.

Future plans:

- Lightweight through axles (probably J&L)
- Superstar components/Thomson seat clamp
- Carbon/titanium (J&L seat post once I've decided on layback
- De-sticker the wheels
The crown race might need some force to put on. If you can get the split one, I personally think it's the way to go. Should e pretty cheap
As for the seatpost, general rule is grease it if its metal :D

BmanX

by BmanX

Is the crown race on the right way? looks upside down to me but hard to tell from my view.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

MiloAS

by MiloAS

I thought as much about the Seatpost, seemed odd to suggest no grease, and it felt awful installing....

Yes I want to go for a split race. I asked Chain reaction (a UK lynskey dealer) and they said to give it some force, and couldn't recommend a split race to use, I don't think cane creek make one.
If anyone can suggest a split rqfe that fits the lower headset bearing then let me know!
I emailed lynskey's tech support about 5 days ago now and haven't heard anything back, despite enquiring 3 times on Facebook messenger about when they'd be able to reply. All messages 'seen' - none replied to. Awful customer service considering the retail of their frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com