2019 S5 Disc Di2 - 7.25kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

My Gen.2 S5 was immense. It was scalpel sharp and you could feel everything through the frame. Great for knowing it's limits, but not so great for 100km + rides.
Saying that, I did 1,058km on it over 8 days riding the length of the UK, but it wasn't the comfiest of experiences.
It had a much sharper turn-in compared to the Gen.3. It was very similar in feel to the new Venge, however, the Venge is slightly more refined.

The Gen.3 falls between the new Venge and new Madone. It feels ever so balanced and stable, yet carries speed with ease. The bike over 40kph just feels effortless, increasing with speed, it just feels even more glued to the road. Where the Gen.2 was more 'hold on and hope', the Gen.3 just fills you full of confidence.

It's far more compliant than the Gen.2, even on 25s, it smooths out small road chatter with ease. I'm getting on now at 34 and this is greatly appreciated! ;)

One thing I will say, not a negative, just will take some getting used to: The initial turn-in feels different. Not floaty or wallowing, just planted and smooth. You can REALLY throw this bike in and it just takes it. This is increased with the quite frankly amazing new Corsa TLR tyres. They stick to the road like sh*t to a blanket.

I'm taking this bike to Spain next week to really stretch its legs and will report back with my findings.

As far as the weight goes, you don't notice it at all. Maybe it aids the planted feel of the bike, but as far as lumps in the road, it climbs them just fine.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

gurk700

by gurk700

Man it’s a great bike but I waited and waited to see if I can get over that front end. just can’t. I wish they made an optional S3 style integration.

If you love the front end though, it seems there’s nothing to dislike about this bike. They pretty much hit everything else out of the park.

Prev gen S5 is a close second favorite bike I’ve owned.

Enjoy the ride!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

You do have the option to run the S3 cockpit (or any in that case), it just won't be as integrated as the S5's.

I like it. Didn't to start with, but I'm a little eccentric and like to be different.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Looks great ! Enjoy.

Jbass

by Jbass

Great bike!

exctasy

by exctasy

ryanw wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 pm
My Gen.2 S5 was immense. It was scalpel sharp and you could feel everything through the frame. Great for knowing it's limits, but not so great for 100km + rides.
Saying that, I did 1,058km on it over 8 days riding the length of the UK, but it wasn't the comfiest of experiences.
It had a much sharper turn-in compared to the Gen.3. It was very similar in feel to the new Venge, however, the Venge is slightly more refined.

The Gen.3 falls between the new Venge and new Madone. It feels ever so balanced and stable, yet carries speed with ease. The bike over 40kph just feels effortless, increasing with speed, it just feels even more glued to the road. Where the Gen.2 was more 'hold on and hope', the Gen.3 just fills you full of confidence.

It's far more compliant than the Gen.2, even on 25s, it smooths out small road chatter with ease. I'm getting on now at 34 and this is greatly appreciated! ;)

One thing I will say, not a negative, just will take some getting used to: The initial turn-in feels different. Not floaty or wallowing, just planted and smooth. You can REALLY throw this bike in and it just takes it. This is increased with the quite frankly amazing new Corsa TLR tyres. They stick to the road like sh*t to a blanket.

I'm taking this bike to Spain next week to really stretch its legs and will report back with my findings.

As far as the weight goes, you don't notice it at all. Maybe it aids the planted feel of the bike, but as far as lumps in the road, it climbs them just fine.
thans for the ride review man. yeah i feel the same way too with the gen2 S5!

timmerrr

by timmerrr

ryanw wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 pm
I've got the aero axles / kit on order from Cervelo. Should be here this week ;)

They'll be around 30/35g each, so hoping for around a 65g saving there.

I'm pretty sure the BarFly Garmin mount is made from the hull of the Titanic, it's solid! Will be getting that off to weigh and see about buying a carbon alternative.
When I got mine I thought the same thing about the bar fly!!! :lol: For how much the bike costs and the spec I kinda expected better. Got a cheap carbon one from ebay that weighs about half as much.
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

AnkitS

by AnkitS

the more I see this bike, the more it grows on me! Fantastic build!

agfu

by agfu

ryanw wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:08 pm

How’re you planning to pack it for the trip? The shop I’d spoken to said it wouldn’t fit in a bike box without disconnecting the brake hoses.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just using a Topeak Pakgo-X box.

I'm sure it will fit without issues. If not, bleeding the brakes isn't the end of the world.

agfu

by agfu

Thanks! Will be really interested to see which method you end up having to use.

Have a great trip

McGilli

by McGilli

Glad you posted its hanging weight. I picked up a 2019 R5 and S5 this past month. I'm running the standard build of them both 48cm DA Di2. So, compared to your S5 I have the DA crank with 52/36 rings, Conti GP4000 with tubes, Garmin Vector S pedals -- so I'll weigh mine and see how it compares to yours.

Your crank is what really makes that bike... Looks superb, nice!

LouisN

by LouisN

Love your kitchen, reindeer herd, and bike :beerchug: !!
Louis :)

Shrike

by Shrike

Cheers ryan, great writeup, hard to find someone with direct experience on both models that isn’t paid to write some balls :P Have fun dropping everyone in Spain on it!

Does it feel exciting to ride, or would the new Venge fit that description better? I used to say the previous S5 was a bit dull unless you opened it up but on reflection I think that was more to do with the wheelset. It was super racy feeling and responsive even at low speed on 202s, and felt a bit dull on training wheels but surely all bikes are the same.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com