2019 S5 Disc Di2 - 7.25kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

COSTA

by COSTA

She is looking lovely mate!! I hope to have one in the not too distant future to go alongside my trusty R5Ca. Love a black bike too!!!

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

have you had a chance to do any climbing on it? my buddy just bought one, came back from Mallorca (was on a rental back there) and says his S5 feels so great uphill he doesn't need a 2nd, "climbing" bike...
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I’ve done 450km on this now, and with every ride, it just keeps getting better and better.

The bike is so stable that I’m having to get used to sprinting on it. Not helped by my left foot unclipping at 1,366w, building up to a max effort sprint at 50kph… Anyone else found these issues with Speedplays? Never once did I pop out my Looks, but the SPs are a better pedal for everything else bar sprints IMO.

As far as climbing goes, I haven’t really been able to test it yet, but from what I have done, it’s been splendid.

I can’t recommend the tyres enough though. They are a standout product for me.

Anyway, some more tinkering / additions to the S5D.

Berk Dila 140 – 107.7g (50.2g saving)
Shimano SW-R9150 satellite shifters – 11.4g
Shimano EW-JC130 Y-connector cable (removed 750mm and 150mm e-tube wires)
Cervelo in-line seatpost – 194.4g trimmed (didn’t have a chance to weigh set-back post)
CarbonWokrs cages – 8.7g each with bolts
Removal of chain catcher – 11g saving
LizardSkinz 1.8 DSP bar tape – 48g (12g saving)

Bike now weighs 7.59kg with another 30g to be saved today once I fit new computer mount…

The satellite / sprint shifters weren’t the easiest to install and I had to buy the Y-connector cable to make it all work. This also meant having to relocated my EW-WU111 unit to be housed in the stem (hard work but fits with a LOT of effort). Awful wrap job to be sorted after Spain ;)

Annoyingly the Cervelo bars aren’t actually internally routed and the two wires going to the barend port have to be routed down the back of the drop bar.

Still waiting on the aero skewers and mounts to be delivered from Cervelo Germany, they should save around 50g which will hopefully get me on the edge of my 7.50kg goal....

After that, the bike is pretty much maxxed out. I could go for Carbon-Ti chainrings and save around 30g, but the Rotor rings are more aero and I think they look great.

On a side note, I would like to thank Jure from Berk for getting the saddle to me within 2 days! From Slovenia to the UK, that is amazing customer service!
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

exctasy

by exctasy

How does the Berk dila feel on a ride?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

exctasy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:42 pm
Lovely, albeit taking a while to get used to. It's kind of a cross between a Lupina and a Spesh Power. Fair bit of flex at the back for comfort, yet a solid, wide nose from when you need to get over the BB and tucked.

I definitely wouldn't have wanted the Dila 160, too wide IMO. The 140 is spot on for me.

Also just fitted my new Alpitude Stelvio Corretto Garmin mount. Came in at a HUGE 13.3g :thumbup: A nice 25.7g saving just from a computer mount.

bespoke

by bespoke

Looks great; I am about to get a P5D; the new Cervelo Aero stuff is super nice
On the wheels - I am losing track; didn’t; Enve say they don’t play nice with Vittoria (or was that the Gen 1) ?
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Pretty sure Enve made a statement about cotton construction tyres (Corsa G1's and Turbo Cottons etc.) Was to do with side wall failure.

I think the construction of the TLR models alleviate this, are are fine to use. I've have zero issues and don't plan on changing the tyres at all.

Weighed the bike today and it is 7,500g. That's with pedals, mount and 2x cages. Not bad all things considered.

bespoke

by bespoke

Nice; I was on the Gen Ones and loved them
I really want the TLR in tan; my salesman hat thinks that there is no reason they cant do now, but will wait for a 2020 introduction to get a second sales “pop”
Your bike looks super clean; enjoy
www.bespokecycling.com

AnkitS

by AnkitS

ryanw wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:14 pm
Lovely, albeit taking a while to get used to.
Pm'ed you about the dimension nack a while ago. I would love to upgrade if you would like to sell it.

bespoke

by bespoke

Not trying to hijack the thread but I built up a display 56cm Ui2 S5D and having a play. I normally ride 58, and have a 815mm saddle height so this thing is low!
Rides great though; super impressed. Is 8.2kgs with pedals though! But rides light....really impressed and am tempted to do something like Ryan and build a ‘proper one’
Did a 40km look and its quicker than my TT bike ! (I know 1 ride is not a scientific test) - but was surprised....
www.bespokecycling.com

exctasy

by exctasy

ryanw wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:14 pm
exctasy wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:42 pm
Lovely, albeit taking a while to get used to. It's kind of a cross between a Lupina and a Spesh Power. Fair bit of flex at the back for comfort, yet a solid, wide nose from when you need to get over the BB and tucked.

I definitely wouldn't have wanted the Dila 160, too wide IMO. The 140 is spot on for me.

Also just fitted my new Alpitude Stelvio Corretto Garmin mount. Came in at a HUGE 13.3g :thumbup: A nice 25.7g saving just from a computer mount.
hmm gotta look for the 140mm now and try it out on my previous gen S5 :D

cajer

by cajer

I’m debating between this and a Madone SLR. Anything you find really special about this bike or don’t like? I’d be getting the green frame set. I love that color :D

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

The Madone SLR was a delight to ride. Very stable and planted, but the heaviest of the bunch.

Unfortunately the bars were a complete no go for me as they clashed with my wrists when sprinting in the drops.

The S5D is the perfect all round bike IMO. It's like if the Venge and Madone had a love child. Speed, light(ish) weight and comfy.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Changed a few bits around.

Speedplays (140g) off, Look Carbon Ti's (184g) on +44g.

Binned off the RAT setup for traditional thru axles:

Front Cervelo thru axle adapter - 4.3g (replaced 5.0g RAT)
Rear Cervelo thru axle adapter - 11.4g (replaced 13.2g RAT)
Front axle - Extralite Black-Lock 12.5B (125mm) - 20.7g (replaced 60.5g RAT)
Rear axle - Extralite Black-Lock 12.3 Maxle (176mm) - 29.7g (replaced 68.0g RAT)
Old - 146.7g
New - 66.1g
80.6g saving

Changed over to 25c Conti GP5000 TL's (300g each) which added IRO 30g on the Vittorias.

So essentially the changes are weight nutral, however, weighing the bike over and over again, it's now coming out at 7.45kg :thumbup:

With the above changes, I know I can get the bike down to 7.37kg changing back the pedals and tyres. But the Conti's are faster (IMO) and I can sprint again now the Looks are on (but I still love SPs).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Had a local road bike TT this weekend.

Came second by 7s behind my teammate, took 67s off last years time and PB'd power numbers across the board (388w AP for 23:52), really happy.

Bike was on point, seriosuly loving it. One change I'm making is going from a 110mm stem to a 130mm. You can see in the second pic that I'm a bit cramped up. The 110 is fine for general riding, but not the best fit when needing to be fast!