Bianchi Sempre Pro and Colnago Master AD14 (and Scott CR1)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

filip00

by filip00

<original post>Hi there! I'm not familiar with all the forum rules yet, so I'm just politely greeting you all for now, and I'll rename/update this topic next week, when I start a new build and contribute a bit to the forum. For now I'll leave you with one picture of my training/racing bike, not a weight weenie, but a bike that I really really love, and enjoyed putting together so that it's perfect for my spec. Some of you may look at it as a frankenstein, but I must say it's perfect for me. Specs are Sram Force groupset, FSA cranks, Campy Bullet Ultra wheelset, Dura ace 9000 brakes, Pro Vibe 7s handlebar, 3T 110mm stem, Spec Power saddle.
Weight: 7,6kg.
</original post>

Full specs Bianchi Sempre Pro (training, racing bike)

-frameset 2014, size 55
Campagnolo Bullet Ultra wheelset
Michelin Service Course PRO4 tyres 25mm
Sram force 22 shifters
Dura ace 9000 brake calipers
Shimano R55C3 brake pads
FSA team crankset 170mm
K-force 52-36 chainrings
FSA MegaEvo BB
Exustar PR100PP pedals
Sram force 22 rear derailleur
Sram force 22 front derailleur
Sram force 22 chain
Sram force 22 cassette 11-28
Hylix seatpost
Specialized power 155 saddle
3T Arx II 110mm stem
Pro Vibe 7S Round handlebar 42mm
Lizardskins bartape
Elite bottlecages

Full specs Colnago Master (weekend rides)

Colnago Master AD14 frameset size 54
Campagnolo Eurus wheelset
Continental 4000 GPII tyres 25mm
Sram force 22 shifters
Sram force 22 brake calipers
Swissstop pads
Sram force 22 rear derailleur
Sram force 22 front derailleur
Sram force 22 chain
Sram force 22 cassette 11-28
Sram force 22 crankset (53-39)
Truvativ GXP BB
Look Keo2Max pedals
Ritchey Comp Trail Zero seatpost
Specialized Romin 155 saddle
Fizik Cyrano R3 Snake handlebar
Deda Zero2 stem 100mm
Syncros Comp 3.0 bottlecage

Scott CR1 (commuter)

This thing has a mish-mash of everything, as it was purposely built for commute. I got the frame for free, as it was broken, so I fixed it, repainted it and furbished it with parts I had at hand.

Ultegra 6600 shifters
105 5600 brakes
105 5700 FR
Ultegra 6600 RD
Dura ace 7800 crankset (53-39)
Mavic Aksium wheelset
Specialized toupe 155 saddle
Other various parts.

Broken frame, repair process and repainting here: imgur.com/a/5IWZk

Cheers y'all.
Last edited by filip00 on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Welcome to the forum. A very excellent representation of a Bianchi!
RESIDENT GRUMPY OLD MAN.

by Weenie

filip00

by filip00

Starting a new build. I'm so psyched!!!

coreyaugustus

by coreyaugustus

Good luck. Looking forward to build details/pics.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

filip00 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:53 pm
Starting a new build. I'm so psyched!!!

Yes!!! That’s going to be nice.

Calnago

by Calnago

If that AD14 was a 60-61 I’d be offering to buy you the frame of your choice in exchange for that one. I’ve got kind of sentimental attachment to that color scheme as way back before I even had my first Colnago there was an AD14 MasterLight resting at the top of Col du Croix de Fer and I just couldn’t help but go over to it and admire it glistening in the sun with all it’s chrome etc.
The new “remakes” do not have the traditional threaded headsets and quill stems, correct? As that’s what I would really want, an original from the era in good shape. I just think they look so much better with quill stems even though they aren’t nearly as functionally good as today’s threadless headsets.
Looking forward to it’s completion.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

filip00

by filip00

Hey Calnago, no need for any offerings, go get it online. It's readily available, pay and wait for 7-8 weeks until you got it ;)

Meanwhile, I've been ignoring all my obligations and routines in order to have this...

This is a barely completed build, I will not fine tune it on the next ride. I just did a ride around the block, made sure I adjusted everything as it should be - I tried to get the riding position as similar to my Bianchi's and it's gotten close. A ride around the block in regular clothes proved very promising, tomorrow is the day for a proper ride.

Regarding the weight, I haven't had a chance to weigh the frameset alone, as I don't own a precise enough scale. The complete build is (according to my basic bathroom scale) 8,8kg.

Calnago

by Calnago

filip00 wrote:Hey Calnago, no need for any offerings, go get it online. It's readily available, pay and wait for 7-8 weeks until you got it ;)
Like I kinda said, nice as yours is, I’d want an original from the era, quill stem etc. I’ve got the parts lying around to build it up. Just not the frame/fork. I may never find one, but that’s ok. Just means that there’s still that N+1 out there, somewhere, someday.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

filip00

by filip00

Ah, I see your point. I completely disregarded the fact that some people simply want the pure oldschool, which I find a bit annoying to work with. Well then, head on to eBay, the n+1 may be waiting around the corner :)

Calnago

by Calnago

At this point, it would be just a little piece of sentimental nostalgia. I still have the Basso Loto from the era, but the Colnago MasterLight was out of my wheelhouse back then.

filip00

by filip00

I've updated the first post with my third bike, the commuter - as well as linked the build thread (old text there, and in the meantime - I also slammed the stem and flipped it downwards, as even it being a commute bike, I can't be in an upright position and prefer a bit racier fit).

Meanwile, Colnago Master has seen some ~300km this week, and I've played a bit with the fit, and changed the stem to a 120mm stem and lowered it one more cm, and now the fit is perfect. I've measured all possible reference points (saddle-stem; stem-BB; bars-seatpost horizontally; drops-seatpost; etc.) and compared to my Bianchi setup, and this is probably 98% similar fit now, and I'm very happy with it.

Meanwhile, for anyone in doubt (probably not, but here's some info anyway) - I'm very satisfied with how the colnago rides, it absorbs potholes very well, the ride is comfortable and the bike feels more planted than Bianchi. One thing it doesn't have though, is stopping power. The Sram Force brakes are simply weaker than Dura Ace 9000 ones. There is no comparison between them. I rode the force calipers with stock swissstop pads for the first ride (60km) and noticed that it doesn't "bite" so strong like the R55C3 ones I ride on dura-ace brakes. I always have an extra pair of those at home, so I swapped them the same day, and test rode the next. The bite is there now, but stopping power just isn't the same. This doesn't mean the calipers don't work, they're OK, they will stop you, of course. I had one 600m descend and they worked just fine, but DA9000 are just so much better. So if anyone is in doubt regarding performace rimbrake calipers - DA9000 is the way to go. (I previously had a chance to compare them to various others, new ultegra, super record, record and chorus, and nothing showed that much power.)

Picture with the 120mm stem (I know, it's not the nicest one for it, but dark-grey details match the force groupset.... :oops: )

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Wow Wow Wow , I love the Master.

by Weenie