Early Scott Addict SL Custom Build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Hi all
I have had this tired old frame languishing in the workshop for quite a few years now, a 58cm Addict SL its the lightweight HMX version. I bought it damaged and unrideable with a view to repairing and selling however all these years on its still hanging up, so I either leave the dust to thicken or do something with it.
My interest returned to Scott Addicts when I recently purchased a Similar frameset advertised as size 54, on arrival it was a 56! I built it up anyway and tried it out, as suspected I just could not get comfortable. I have fairly limited lower back movement so the stretch was just was not working for me.
Designed for racing these frames are never going to have the comfort of their CR1 sportive variant. Comparing dimensions they are very similar apart from the CR1 headtube is taller to allow a more relaxed riding position. A CR1 is heavier than an Addict though (so I believe).

I toyed with the idea of trying shorter stems or raising bar height which would require replacement forks with longer steerer. Attention finally turned to my old dusty 58cm frame it owes me nothing so I penned some ideas and made some measurements.

It has been a few years since sharing a build on WW so please go easy on me! No doubt I will take a ribbing and shrugging of shoulders by some but hey ho everyone to their own. My previous build was a quite unique Trek Y Foil so will give you an idea of where I'm coming from with this project.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=131739&hilit=y+foil+classic

This latest build may not be quite so radical... or maybe it will!

My plan is to build a bike that fits me, being realistic I need a slightly more relaxed riding position this frame can potentially offer me that comfort fit.

I want to keep the Scott uncompromising functional design ethos however build on it keeping clean lines and a raw aesthetic. To this end I will remove all paint and filler yes Scott used filler on certain areas hidden beneath paint! I want to run Di2 with all cables including brake cables hidden inside tubing, add an ISP seat post, add a PF30 bottom bracket and a few other tweaks.

...and so to the frame jig......

Washed off looks ok but is cracked and unrideable

First job start removing paint

They used filler OMG!!

In the frame jig

Shiiiit....

Ignore the welders they're just for show, also I need to paint that wall!
Last edited by Clannagh on Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Wholly crap!!!! I can’t wait to see what happens next🔧🔨🛠

Quick question did you use Carbolift? What is that wet gunk on the frame?
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

TheKaptone

by TheKaptone

Can't wait to watch this rebuild unfold. Hope your able to detail with many photos especially with the frame repairs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I sense a 5.5kg build coming, don't disappoint us! Just kidding - your Trek project was nothing short of awesome and I admire of craftsmanship in that project.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Clannagh

by Clannagh

godzuki26 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:13 am

It’s auto paint stripper. I find it works just fine, do a section at a time and ‘don’t’ leave it on to long!

Clannagh

by Clannagh

TheKaptone wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:52 am
Can't wait to watch this rebuild unfold. Hope your able to detail with many photos especially with the frame repairs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Plenty of pics to follow as it progresses :thumbup:

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Kayrehn wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:10 am
I sense a 5.5kg build coming, don't disappoint us! Image Just kidding - your Trek project was nothing short of awesome and I admire of craftsmanship in that project.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
No idea what it will finally weigh all part of the fun :wink:

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Forks arrived yesterday at 330gms same weight as the HMX superlightweight versions I have on my 56cm frame. These were not advertsied as HMX maybe they are :thumbup:
I need to strip them of paint which right now seems a shame as they are in really nice condition!

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Clannagh wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:47 am
godzuki26 wrote:

It’s auto paint stripper. I find it works just fine, do a section at a time and ‘don’t’ leave it on to long!
Can you guarantee the stripper doesn't affect the resin of the carbon fibre? I've used carbolift but found it very hit and miss, you end up with just about the same amount of prep and final scraping as you would just using a knife to remove the paint.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

MichaelK wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:22 pm
Clannagh wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:47 am
godzuki26 wrote:

Can you guarantee the stripper doesn't affect the resin of the carbon fibre? I've used carbolift but found it very hit and miss, you end up with just about the same amount of prep and final scraping as you would just using a knife to remove the paint.
I wouldnt like to guarantee it wont effect the epoxy, it probably would if left on longer enough. I use stripper to remove the bulk of paintwork, I apply it and use a scraper to cut through paint when soft this helps the stripper do its job quicker. Start scraping and remove as much as possible. Give it a clean off with old colth and see what remains, re-apply stripper and repeat the process second application brings it off quicker, I find using 240grit paper helps to cut into soft paint and loosen it. Its a very messy job! probably upto 3 applications of stripper will remove 90% of paint. Stubborn areas around cable stops, dropouts and bottom bracket area will require further applications. I apply localised stripper to any small areas and scrape/sand them until all gone. Finally go over the entire frame with 240 grit, dont rub hard your not trying to and away carbon, you can tell if your into carbon as the dust will be black rather than light grey or white (paint always sands a light colour no matter if its black or coloured etc).
Last edited by Clannagh on Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

If that fork is an R1 fork, then it is the HMX Carbon. I have used Carbolift and it is aweful. It is too weak to remove anything and like MichaelK said requires just as much elbow grease removing the paint with a knife with the added mess of gooey slop.

What did you do with the front half of the bike?
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

Clannagh

by Clannagh

godzuki26 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:47 pm
If that fork is an R1 fork, then it is the HMX Carbon. I have used Carbolift and it is aweful. It is too weak to remove anything and like MichaelK said requires just as much elbow grease removing the paint with a knife with the added mess of gooey slop.

What did you do with the front half of the bike?
Yes it says R1 on the lower fork leg so good news.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

These are the lightweight R1 HMX forks so it seems.
Weight with paint 326gm, paint removed 316gm.
I applied two coats of paint stripper using a scraper and 240grit paper to get to this stage. There are still a few areas of stubborn paint remaining along outer fork legs, I will use 240grit and then go over again with 600grit.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Thats 6g right there maybe as much as 9 including the glue I'm grinding off :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxle

by maxle

Well done! Do you have any updates of your Y-Foil?
You only own a bike when you've violated every single term of guarantee.