Ryan Goes Offroad (2019 Cannondale SuperX)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

FilmAt11

by FilmAt11

I had EggBeaters and XTR for a while, but have been much happier with TIME ATAC XC6 pedals - easy clip-in and solid pedals - I feel locked-in.

RyanH

by RyanH

Anyone know where to get a lower profile headset/compression cap for the SuperX? The headtube is beefy and significantly wider than a STS cover. I'd like to get something lower profile so I can run a -10 stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Can you just use the low profile cap from an Evo?

RyanH

by RyanH

No, head tube is significantly wider.

DOUG

by DOUG

RyanH wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:27 am
No, head tube is significantly wider.

Pretty sure the Super X uses a 1-1/2" to 1-1/8" tapered steerer? You probably need the same low profile cap thats used on the Scalpel Si. The 1-1/2" to 1-1/8" Si to Tapered steerer adapter comes with one but havent seen them available for sale seperatly.

Whats the OD of that dome spacer? I can measure the OD of the cap on my Scalpel to confirm. I also have one of the adapters for my FSi monstercross build so can measure that one too but I'm fairly certain they will be the same.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

I think KP058 gets you the Cannondale low cap. 50mm dia.
I used the top set of a Cane Creek 40-Series ZS49 ZeroStack, at 49mm that's not bad.

kode54

by kode54

Those are some nice single track trails. I probably would ride those more than on the road. Deer would be the worst moving obstacle versus riding asphalt and dealing with cars in SoCal.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

soupless

by soupless

@ryanh
Is that up off Runyon Canyon? I'm in the neighborhood and see the ribbons of dirt from Nichols all the time.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

kode54 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:58 pm
Those are some nice single track trails. I probably would ride those more than on the road. Deer would be the worst moving obstacle versus riding asphalt and dealing with cars in SoCal.

no kidding... I've have to take a pictures of my nearest "dirt" and it will become clear the changes I've made to my Gravel bike.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

RyanH

by RyanH

soupless wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:03 pm
@ryanh
Is that up off Runyon Canyon? I'm in the neighborhood and see the ribbons of dirt from Nichols all the time.
Close, it's Fryman Canyon and Coldwater Canyon Park. I haven't explored anything directly off Nichols but it's about a mile from my place to the top of Multiview.

RyanH

by RyanH

It's 58mm wide, should one of the above work? Image

wrenegade

by wrenegade

I'm currently after the exact same thing for my '19 SuperX. I just bought this FSA Orbit Reducer Headset specifically for the top cap itself. I'm currently out of country but will update you this weekend when I'm back home and can try it out.

Alternatively, this is Stephen Hyde's SuperX headset/topcap: Image. I searched eBay for the same and was able to find it as part of a headset group, but just didn't want to pay more than double what I did for that FSA kit. We'll see if I have to go back and do that. It's a real shame that it seems impossible to find just the cap by itself.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

RyanH wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:23 am
It's 58mm wide, should one of the above work?
Yes, sorry I confused myself with the 49/50mm mention.

This one is the Cannondale KP058 and you can see comes with a low cover the same as the one on Steven Hydes bike.
https://www.cannondalespares.com/Cannon ... il/3-40287

This is the one I used, as the Cannondale was out of stock everywhere when I was looking. I just used the compression ring and cover from the Cane Creek in the stock bearing and it sits on fine but the outter diameter is about 1mm less than the Cannondale one would be. That covers all the essentials but leaves a small lip of the outer part of the carbon of the headtube uncovered. It's a finished surface so no big issue to me, but depending on how you want it to look...
49 on this one is the headtube inner dia, not the cover outer.
https://www.evanscycles.com/cane-creek- ... t-EV144427

DOUG

by DOUG

RyanH wrote:It's 58mm wide, should one of the above work? Image
Yep either way should work. Although the one for the Scalpel is carbon and covers the top of the steerer better than the one that comes with the KP205 headset.

Scalpel

FSi with KP205 headset installed

Unfortunately I havent seen the either bearing cover available seperately so you might be stuck buying the whole headset. Surely Cannondale in the US would be able to sort you out though? A good Cannondale dealer should be able to source the carbon cover seperately for you Im sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

~54.5mm outer dia on the Cane Creek cover.