Ryan Goes Offroad (2019 Cannondale SuperX)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

More details later...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

Dabbling with discs again, curious to see how you like a cross bike

KarlC

by KarlC

Didnt you go down this road once before ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

RyanH

by RyanH

Yeah, with a caadx and mechanical disk. That bike was extremely low end, mechanical disk didn't work well at all and the wheels were trash. I was also living downtown so I didn't have access to dirt within close proximity.

Caadnme

by Caadnme

Nice!
The Super X is my weapon of choice as the "any weather" bike. My 2015 is the ugliest bike I ever owned, but I really like how light and responsive it is dodging trough traffic in any conditions. I use GP4000S2 28 mm above freezing point. From November to April, I have to use various studded tires. Its long and low geometry (for CX bike) suits my needs very well. I use the clip-ons quite a lot when facing strong winter winds.
IMG_2716.JPG

The long wheelbase makes it more stable on the most slippery surfaces you can imagine. Here in Montreal we see it all: freezing rain, light snow, heavy snow, frozen wet snow. SuperX has got the longest front center distance of the curent crop of light CX bikes. I can use 38 mm Gravdal tires (45NRTH) with mudgards without toe overlap, even with big boots like the Bontrager OMW.
Cannondale has used nicer colors for the SuperX recently. They could not do any worst than 2015MY :lol: :lol:

I am really looking forward to see what you will do with this bike Ryan. Always been inspired by your builds yet.

RyanH

by RyanH

AZR3 wrote:Dabbling with discs again, curious to see how you like a cross bike
Kinda, disc has its place for dirt applications. Setting this bike up reminded me why I loathe disc though. At least with this bike if I'm getting pad rub I don't need to ride it, I can ride my road bike with excellent and reliable Dura Ace rim brakes.

I figured this would be a good B bike though rather than another road bike. I have a bunch of dirt trails near me (most that I'm not supposed to be on but...).

gilles75

by gilles75

I also prefer rim brakes on all my bikes except my SuperX. I don’t want to mess with rim calipers every time I want to use a different rim width. Dirt and wet conditions are also worth living with disk brakes idiosyncrasies. I keep my torx wrench close to re-center the caliper when pads are rubbing. I added a third dial indicator to my wheel truing stand to staighten disks. Added shims to all my wheelsets so the disks end up centered the same when swapping wheels.
All this stuff that I don’t have to worry about when weather and road is nice enough to get the other bikes out. (All rim brakes, efficiency and lightness...)

What about the 1X drivetrain? The direct mount ring you now have must be light. 44T? I often swapped between 40T and 44T. 11-28, 11-32 or 11-36 cassettes. I am now running 34-46 double with 11-28. I like the straighter chain line in lower and higher gears, along with the closer gear ratios. Small weight penalty for better drivetrain efficiency.
Really looking forward to see what will be your preference for your application.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

It's currently 40t x 11-36. I think I'm going to upgrade to an XG 10-42 cassette for the rear. I'm pretty sure I'm going to move over my Cannondale Si srm to this bike so I'll probably order a 42t Wolftooth 1x chainring.

Tomorrow is a recovery day so it'll be a good day for a maiden voyage. I'll need to get used to the Eggbeaters. Clipping in is proving to be a lot harder than expected. Trying to force my speedplay ways onto it is probably not helping.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

now we're talking... I too lean towards a more cross geo for my offroad needs.

XG 10-42 is a nice cassette... waiting for my XTR 9050 to come in to try the e13 TRS Race 9-46 and then I will get on with 1x with a 40t absoluteblack.

I do see you with a shorter stem in the future... for the down right jenky stuff.

I could not get along with eggbeaters... still like XTR the best but going to try some Xpedo CXR Pro's next. which are still lighter then XTR
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

RyanH

by RyanH

Had a nice morning jaunt with the SuperX. Having a little trouble with the left Eggbeater, it's a royal pita to clip in and clipping out requires a lot more force than the right side (any suggestions?). 40x11-36 is pretty good for everything I came across. The Vittoria tires roll nicely on pavement, a lot better than I thought they would.

AZR3

by AZR3

Super jealous of your local gravel trails.....all I get here is mostly canals :cry:

MichaelK

by MichaelK

RyanH wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:01 pm
Having a little trouble with the left Eggbeater, it's a royal pita to clip in and clipping out requires a lot more force than the right side (any suggestions?)
Are they new? If they're second hand I can imagine the spring is a little worn-in perhaps?

RyanH

by RyanH

They're brand new. The directions are kinda rubbish. One cleat has dots and the other doesn't. Maybe I should switch them around as I clip in and out primarily with my left and it seems my right is easy to clip in and out.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Check for marks on the sole of your shoes - could be that the eggs are binding.

If so, use shims to space your cleat out a fraction.

DOUG

by DOUG

Buy some XTR pedals.

Never think about clipping in or out again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com