Godzuki26 thinks there needs to be a Weightweenie Scott Scale 900 SL build in the USA. So here we go!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Clean both surfaces with alcohol, use carbon paste and Locktight on the bolts.
I echo AZR3, great to see you riding it. ;)

I find a dial torque wrench gives me greater control of the finnal torque.
This is my go to.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046 ... UTF8&psc=1

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@AZR3 & Alexbn921 - Thanks for the tip. You guys are both correct. I examined the original black Ti bolts that came with the stem. The original bolts had thread lock on them. I did not put threadlock on the Rainbow/Neochrome bolts that replaced them. 😲 😱 The bolts will get the same threadlock treatment that the THM cranks received. No problems at all after some blue Loctite.

:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@Godzuki do you think the CaronFan rim would work with road tubeless at relatively low pressures, like 60-70 PSI? I'm inclined to believe it would, because a) from my experience, tubeless and hookless rims work fine when the interface is tight and b) the smaller tire size, the bigger pressure you can run and CF seems to give safe pressure numbers for large relatively volume MTB tires. I'm considering a similar build as a lightweight wheelset that would both work for road/MTB applications.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Hookless rims have about 20% less bead holding power. I would generally not recommend running 28mm or smaller tires on a hookless rim. Pressure should be fine as it's a function of tire area times pressure and most rims are more than strong enough.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Klaster_1 - I am afraid I cannot offer any input on your question as I have zero experience in that area. What Alexbn921 said does make sense. I would drop Arthur@Carbonfan an email and ask for his input. He might have more information.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I have done quite a bit of riding so far and the C2Works prototype axles are holding up just fine. After the sixth ride, I did notice a squeaking sound from the back. I removed the axles and put some grease on them and they have been silent ever since. I took a pick of the axles after a few weeks of use and they are still in excellent condition as you can see. C2Works also has a prototype rear axle for the Extralite hub that saves 13 grams. This will eliminate the need to do crazy stuff like use ceramic bearings on a mountain bike hub. I am pretty sure they will produce an axle for the front hub too. Check out the weights which includes the preload cap! I am more than happy to test these out for C2Works :thumbup: :mrgreen: :D With this Extralite axle I can have a sub 900 gram 28x28 spoked wheelset which is just sick 😷 Even lighter if I did a 24 spoke build and used ceramic bearings. I would be in the 860-870 gram range which is madness for a mountain bike wheelset.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Where I have been riding I have these thorns everywhere. I am flatting quite often and using Tubolito tubes is getting far too expensive. The repair kit works fine but it is a pain in the ass and high maintenance. I am converting to Tubless like I should have from the very beginning. I have a roll of Stan’s tape but I hear that some people will use Gorilla tape. Does anybody have experience with Gorilla tape? Will it last or should I just stick with the Stan’s tape?

ImageFelt AR FRD

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Stans tape isn't very flexible and doesn't conform to the rim channel if it's not mostly flat. You need two wraps most of the time too.

Gorilla tape works great and holds up for a long with only a single wrap. It leaves a giant sticky mess when you take it off.

3M Performance Plus Nuclear Duct Tape Is the best option. It's as strong as gorilla tape and doesn't leave a mess when you remove it. It was designed for nuclear clean rooms. Needless to say it expensive tape but is the best of the best.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-8979N-Perform ... =hi&sr=1-1

A perfectly clean rim is imperative! 99% alcohol and painters tape to remove any surface grease will give you the best adhesion. U can also install a tube overnight to push the tape onto the rim.

scant

by scant

enve rims are supplied with gorilla tape. its fine in use. the issue is certain sealants stick the tyre to the tape so when the tyre is removed, part of the tape comes with it. this isnt just my experience, i've seen it countless times

thorougly cleaning the rim before tape application makes a massive difference, esp given you've sanded your rims Godzuki so the envitable carbon dust. after trying a few different tape options over the years i've reverted back to stans. use a hard rounded edge, like a tyre lever to tightly press the tape against the rim, espicially in difficult/not flat areas. i've never had an issue using just a single layer.

if you have a compressor or tubeless track pump, it'll be easy, i've been using this coke bottle trick for 5years & works everytime.
https://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/feature ... /sspomer,2

funnily enough after I descended the black mountains yesterday I dropped onto a lane only to see the hedge was being cut & there were were hundreds of thorns. at the end of ,the lane I pulled out 4 thorns & kept riding. thats the real joy of tubeless sealant, not having to stop & waste 10 mins swapping innertubes purely for thorn type punctures.

serious1

by serious1

Keep in mind that Gorilla tape is heavy (about 50g per wheel). The trick to getting stans to stay is wrap it tightly on the rim and then set it up with a tube and tire for a day. The tube will press the tape on really well. I've always had good luck with just 1 wrap of stans tape too.

Discodan

by Discodan

I’ve used this stuff on my road tubeless and it’s awesome. Light, strong, cheap and doesn’t leave a mess. Needs two wraps for 100 psi but would most likely be fine with one for mtb

https://www.totaltools.com.au/88630-be ... 6623336593

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zac36100

by Zac36100

Godzuki, titaniumplanet sell drilled bolt as you like

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Alexbn921 - that 3M Nuclear tape looks very cool and I would like to try it out. I am finding some online at half the price but they have expire dates of 2012. Probably not a good idea right? Tape that expires who would have ever known!

@Scant - Thanks for the tips especially on making sure the rims are cleaned first. With all the sanding I did I am pretty sure the rims have plenty of left over dust that will mess with the tape adhesion. I would have skipped cleaning and screwed this up so thanks for the heads up.

@serious1 - 50 grams per wheel for Gorilla tape!!?? I probably will not go that route on a build focused on weight savings so thank you for the info.

@Discodan - never heard of Bear tape. I will look into it. Thanks for info.

@Zac36100 - never heard of Titanium Planet so thank you. Wow they have a huge selection!

ImageFelt AR FRD

tonytourist

by tonytourist

by Weenie

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Is there a website for c2works, could not find anything with google search. Too many conflicting results.