Godzuki26 thinks there needs to be a Weightweenie Scott Scale 900 SL build in the USA. So here we go!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderator: Moderator Team

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Poynt doing some cool things with his Fox Stepcast lowers. He masked the decals and sandblasted the fork. End result is a matte fork with polished decals. Lots of weight savings because no added weight. I have never seen this before and this is very cool.

:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

Orbital

by Orbital

Very sharp. Will that be left raw? Aluminum will eventually oxidize and that look will be tough to keep crisp.

by Weenie

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I like the industrial raw look of the bead blasted matte finish. My magnesium rims oxidized to this dull matte color over a course of 8 months. Since the bead blast finish already resembles oxidized magnesium, I think it will age like fine wine and keep the look. I wonder what a layer of clear coat would do? Weight wise?

ImageFelt AR FRD

poynt

by poynt

I was in the process of cleaning up a few small marks before tryng some 2k clearcoat. I haven't decided if it's worth spraying gloss clear over the polished areas and matt over the etched areas. But alas my compressor gave out, well it blew its oil bung out covering me, forks and my whole workshop in oil. :twisted: :twisted:
So will have to sort that and then re clean the forks again. :roll: :roll:

Orbital

by Orbital

There are some very good automotive wheel cleaners for non anodized/clear coated wheels that work very well on textured surfaces. The polished area of the forks would become etched tho.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

It looks like Dreambikes finished my Grigiocarbonio T1000 Attack stem. 100mm x -17 is the lightest in the world. I really enjoyed the follow up and communication by Dreambikes as they built this stem for me. The -6 version would have been a couple grams lighter because it does not need as much surface area to bond the neck to the collar as a -17 would. It was nice and thoughtful of Dreambikes to explain this to me before they built the stem. I really needed the -17 drop so that is what I decided on and could not be happier. They just posted my stem on their Facebook. It is on route to the USA :thumbup: . I cannot wait to have this stem in my hand. I would say this is both lighter and prettier than the Darimo stem.

ImageFelt AR FRD

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

That’s a nice stem!!

poynt

by poynt

I asked Darimo what their 60mm/-17deg stem might weigh and they quoted me 56g, (+7g over the GC 60mm) so not overly competive to GC but they are neary half the price.
I am sure Godzuki will do his usual magic and sand etc his and it will no doubt end up at nearly 50g :shock:

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I ordered a 700mm Darimo handlebar that came back to 95.6 grams when it was claimed to be at 92 grams on their website. This was also purchased directly through Darimo. The owner is super nice but tends to be a lip service bull shitter type of guy. I have seen these 700mm lengths come back as light as 84 grams with the heavier UD finish. I sent him a link to this build thread asking if he can make one for me under 90 grams as I plan to make a barstem combo. He responded by saying he likes all the bikes I have built in the past and he can make something lighter. He also recommended I get 3K weave as it is lighter. Instead, I get something almost 4 grams over claimed with the lighter 3K finish. After weeks of inquiries on my end, the owner simply stated that the “resin flow is different for every batch”. Then no response ever again. I even offered to pay for return shipping. None the less my customer experience with Darimo was very poor and I will never buy or endorse another Darimo product again. So no thank you for me on the Darimo stem.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Not sub 4 grams and not 92 grams. Still very light but update your website Darimo with accurate information please. Also, does the Darimo decal look uneven? It does to me. :noidea:

Last edited by godzuki26 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Here is an above and beyond example of excellent customer service. When GrigioCarbonio made my T1000 stem, they noticed a small imperfection on a small portion of the stem. Purely aesthetic where the 12K weave was interrupted. Something so minor that I would have not even noticed it. They found that to be unacceptable so they built a second stem without me even asking. They then sent Dreambikes pictures of both stems and disclosed that the second stem was about 1.5 grams heavier. They also asked Dreambikes to contact me and let me know which stem I would prefer. They even went so far as to make me a bespoke matching 12K topcap. This is an example of giving a consumer a remarkable customer experience which will make me come back again and again. Thank you Dreambikes and GrigioCarbonio!!! You guys are awesome 👏!!!!!

Last edited by godzuki26 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Wow! That is incredible customer service! Thinking it's where I might be heading for a new stem I reckon!

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@dereksmalls - Purchase it through Dreambikes. :thumbup: I have never received such excellent customer service before in my life. They even sent me pictures with flash and no flash to show the cosmetic flaws that I would have never noticed. Any other retailer would have just pushed the item through their inventory and sent it to the customer. I ended up choosing the flawed one as it was a tiny bit lighter.....But again, it was a great feeling being given a choice.

The T800 stem weighs a few grams more than the T1000 and is about the same in price and weight as the Darimo stem. The T800 also uses 3K weave rather thean the 12K weave found on the T1000 stem.
Last edited by godzuki26 on Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Finally the e*Thirteen XCXR crankset came in. It is at the claimed weight so I am very pleased. This is still much heavier than the THM Clavicula DP crankset but has the correct Boost chaineline. The crank arms came back to 335 grams. With the chainring and the lockring/preload adjustor the total is 393 grams. This as a system is a tiny bit lighter than the THM M3 set up. The THM M3 crank arms are a little lighter, but the chainring and required bolts to mount it are heavier. So 393 grams vs 397 grams. e*Thirteen's claim to be the lightest "available" mountain crankset is true. You cannot count the Clavicula DP or the Tune Blackfoot because they are discontinued now.

I'm gonna sand this all off so maybe another 10 grams savings.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Oh no 🤦‍♂️What am I doing?