Godzuki26 thinks there needs to be a Weightweenie Scott Scale 900 SL build in the USA. With my Covid 19 paincave [pg 44]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

poynt

by poynt

serious1 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:45 pm
What did you use to strip the fork and how long did it take? Great build! Happy to see more MTB builds here.
Paint stripper, then lots of sanding and buffing is all that would be needed. If your not going for a polished finish but still want to loose a bit of weight then you don't need to be as fussy in all the nooks and crannies. A basic colour change would just only necessitate a light keying/scruffing and then a new topcoat/and clear.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Sorry everyone for the confusion. Those fork lowers are Poynt’s. He is stripping the fork lowers down and re painting it to see if it saves some weight. He just finished a matte 2K clear over the primer and did not get favorable results. He may be hydro dipping them and I will post up some pics if he goes that route. It appears that removing the fork lowers on an NDtuned fork is different than the stock Fox way. They don’t come off very easily and I am afraid of damaging them.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Here is an update to Poynt’s fork. He said that you have to remove the gold screws and hammer it down with some force to remove the legs of an OVR tuned fork. He got his down to 1160 grams minus painted lowers. He removed the primer he had on there from the previous post and is starting all over. Exploring hydro dipping options which is pretty cool. Maybe a sub 1150 fork with the Carbon steerer upgrade.

ImageFelt AR FRD

DJT21

by DJT21

Why not just get the fork lowers anodised?

poynt

by poynt

not easy or possible to get magnesium annodised like aluminium can be. Too reactive a material, so painting is the only option, even powdercoating isn't great due to the heat reactivity issues. So was trying to find a thinner or lighter paint process.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Just a quick update. Berd contacted me and sent me a tracking number so I should be getting them in the next few days. My experience so far with Berd has been outstanding. They respond to emails on the very same day and have excellent follow up. At no point did I ever feel like I was not taken care of or left hanging. Any and all questions where answered immediately and I could not be a happier customer. I was told the wheels came back to 927 grams which far exceeds my expectations of being under 1000 grams. With ceramic bearings, the wheels can be sub 900 grams. Actually, if I went with 24H by 24H instead of 28H by 28H, I would have been very close to 900 grams without having to go ceramic. Just throwing that out there if someone else wanted to do it:). Talk to Charlie@Berd. :thumbup:

Still waiting to order and pay for the Darimo seat post, seat clamp, handlebar, and stem which is not available yet. I'm just eagerly waiting for the invoice to be sent so I can pay for it and have them made. On another note, the Grigiocarbonio T800 stem is now available on Dreambikes. It is available in -17 which is what I need. T1000 version is also out and I wonder how light it will be in -17x100mm? 399 euro for the T800 and the T1000 is 650 euro. I am getting very tempted to buy it because it is available right now through Dreambikes web store. 50 grams for a 70mm stem is insane.

http://www.dream-bikes.it/shop/it/564-g ... mondo.html

http://www.dream-bikes.it/shop/it/563-g ... ggero.html

ImageFelt AR FRD

scant

by scant

godzuki26 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:30 am
50 grams for a 70mm stem is insane.
I follow them on FB too. how much does the 100mm length you want, weigh?

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The T800 is spec’ed at:

Weight : 64 gr (70 mm) - 67 gr. (80 mm) - 70 gr. (90 mm) - 73 gr. (100 mm) - 76 gr. (110 mm) - 79 gr. (120 mm)

T1000

Weight : 50 gr (70 mm) - 53 gr. (80 mm) - 56 gr. (90 mm) - 59 gr. (100 mm) - 62 gr. (110 mm) - 65 gr. (120 mm)

I am not feeling the gold accents on the T1000. I wonder if one can order the T1000 with the black clamping hardware of the T800. Gold will throw everything off on this bike’s color scheme.

ImageFelt AR FRD

poynt

by poynt

looks like a vinyl decal but with black bolts they also do white and black logos

Image Image

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I should be getting the Berd built wheelset tomorrow. Pretty excited about that. The NDtuned carbon steerer is something I am really wanting now and Poynt said he can get it for me. The interesting thing is, I was unable to find any installer in the USA who would remove the current steerer tube and replace it with the carbon one. In fact, replacing steerer tubes is not a common practice in the USA. If you mess up your steerer tube, you cannot just buy and replace it. You must purchase the entire steerer/crown/stancion assembly as one merged unit. My guess is, for liability reasons, nobody wants to be responsible for messing around with the steerer and possibly damaging the crown. But, I could be wrong. So, if I want to save 15 to 20 more grams on the fork, I would need to send my fork back to Poynt which he said he can help me out with. Speaking of Poynt, he sends me pictures like the ones below that make me want to keep tuning the fork. It takes pure dedication to strip the magnesium lowers, re prime coat it, sand it, then re-spray the lowers to save an additional 20 grams compared to stock. Check out the side by side pics. They look identical to stock vs repaint. With an Extralite crown race and Shifup carbon axle installed with uncut steerer tube he has his fork down to 1176 grams. If Poynt lived near me, my wife would divorce me because I would always be at his house messing around with bike stuff. I have to share this check it out.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Making a titanium spring for the 4Ti pedals has been very challenging. It is either too tight or too loose. I will keep trying but for now I am happy with the minor tunings I did to get these pedals to about 151 grams.

ImageFelt AR FRD

poynt

by poynt

what do the springs weigh so far? The original Ti springs only had two twists which were quite open.

scant

by scant

godzuki26 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:31 pm
The interesting thing is, I was unable to find any installer in the USA who would remove the current steerer tube and replace it with the carbon one. In fact, replacing steerer tubes is not a common practice in the USA. If you mess up your steerer tube, you cannot just buy and replace it. You must purchase the entire steerer/crown/stancion assembly as one merged unit. My guess is, for liability reasons, nobody wants to be responsible for messing around with the steerer and possibly damaging the crown. But, I could be wrong.
have you asked ND tuned how they remove & install the fork steerer? I seem to recall fox used to use some sort of freon dip, to essentially shrink the steerer, before its machine pressed into the crown. nowadays theres also a bonding agent used to prevent creaks.

Nozes

by Nozes

ND Tuned uses the same method.

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Received the wheels a few days ago and finally have some time to post some pics. 925 grams on my scale and I cannot be more pleased. Several spare spokes were also included at no extra charge. I love the look of these wheels. It is something I have never seen before in person and they look very cool. Tension on all the spokes are spot on as Berd will first build the wheels and wait a few days to allow the cables to stretch. Then they will retention the spokes before shipping it out. Spokes and the entire wheel build for $595 USD is a great value in my opinion. The Carbonfan rims also look fantastic with these awesome white spokes. I will finally finish my magnesium clinchers with Berd spokes once I find the front hub that I need. Berd all the way.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Fri May 10, 2019 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com