Godzuki26 thinks there needs to be a Weightweenie Scott Scale 900 SL build in the USA. With my Covid 19 paincave [pg 44]

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I have been inspired lately by some Epic Scott Scale builds. First there was Kai Greene in the German MTB forums. Then I saw Poynt's crazy light build from the UK. After that there was a super detailed step by step build by Gullholm from Sweden who built the lightest 29er in the world. Then out of nowhere, Moyo put together a build that broke 6000 grams. I noticed that all these builds are from Europe. There needs to be one in the USA too. So, let me take a whirl at it. Will I come close to the weights achieved by the 4 gentlemen mentioned above? Let me try :thumbup:

Maybe we are only seeing Factory builds for these Scott Scales in the USA because they are difficult to buy as the frameset only. When I did find a retailer that had it as frameset only and not the full build, they were not authorized to ship it to my home. I would have to drive and pick it up at the store which is total bullshit. So, I had to order the frameset from Bike24 in Germany.

Last edited by godzuki26 on Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The frame is pretty. But for a size small I was expecting it to be lighter.

ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I'm not sponsered. I don't want the bike to look like a stock car. 830 grams with paint. I need to drop some weight now. Forget the warranty.

ImageFelt AR FRD

Slammed

by Slammed

Man, this is really exciting. You have some of the best builds on the forum. Do you have many of the parts yet, or any crazy plans for the build?

godzuki26

by godzuki26

@Slammed - I am actually so out of the loop with mtb stuff. My last build was a 26er Scott Scale back in 2009! I was shocked to learn that the standard switched from 135mm spacing in the back, to 142mm, and now 148mm! I needed a lot of help and adivce so I reached out to Poynt in the UK who has been mentoring me through this build process. He has also helped me with tuning my front fork. Actually, he got the fork for me and did all the work already in the UK :thumbup:

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

For any Weightweenie build, I believe that the biggest opportunity to save weight are the frameset and fork. The wheelset is very important too and I will get into that later. The lightest fork out there is the German Xcite Zero fork. It is around 1100 grams which is crazy light. I just don't like the look of it and think it rivals the ugliness of a Lauf fork. I felt that Gullhom's Shiftup tuned Fox 32 Stepcast fork looked beautiful with the Scott Scale frame. I read in Gullhom's build thread that NDtuned also offers fork tuning that is lighter than Shiftup. So, I reached out to them in Portugal and got no response back. How the hell am I going to get a tuned fork done in Portugal? Fortunately, my friend Poynt had an NDTuned Fox SC 32 fork so I asked him for some help.

Poynt knew my style which is no logos and all black. He suggested that I get a Fox 32 SC Performance fork rather than the more expensive Fox 32 SC Factory fork. The Performance fork comes with black stancions rather than the gold Kashima stancions found on the Factory fork. The damper on each fork is also different with the Performance using the heavier Grip 3 damper while the Factory uses the lighter Fit 4 damper. However, they both share the same aluminun steerer/crown and magnesium lowers. Since NDTuned OVR will replace internals on both legs of the fork, it was the only choice for me to go with the Performance fork which has the black stancions that cosmetically appeases me. NDtuned also offers the replacement of the steerer tube. So, why the hell not? Below are some pictures Poynt sent me from the UK. Of course I will need some Hopp goodies on the fork. Even a hidden Hopp volume spacer inside the fork. The fork is currently in transit to the USA as I type this.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

The Hopp goodies. Poynt secured these parts for me too. What a good friend he is.

The Hopp volume spacer replacement saves almost 7 grams. Nice!

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Who wants anodized blue on their bike? Not me!

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

A nice side by side comparison with my OVR fork and one of Poynt's stock stepcast forks. The orange one is a 27.5 fork while mine is a 29 fork.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Oh, I forgot about the weight. 1248 grams with a full uncut steerer. I plan to slam my stem and remove tons of steerer. So, a lot more weight saving opportunity. Poynt sent me a pic of how much steerer he removed and it was 47 grams worth. I plan to remove more so this fork will be sub 1200 grams which I am extreeeeeeemly happy with. I predict 1190 grams.

ImageFelt AR FRD

godzuki26

by godzuki26

Not looking too bad. I still have more to remove. I will not stop until this is under 700 grams. If I need to remove the rivets for the water bottle on the seat tube which I will never use I will :unbelievable: I would also rather die than put a chain catcher on this build. Do you think it is a bad idea to remove the rivets and extra area for the chain catcher and then have it patched with carbon? Or am I asking for trouble? Why keep shit on here for equipment I will never use?

ImageFelt AR FRD

stoney

by stoney

I'm following this build with huge interest! I can't wait to see the finished product.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

godzuki26 wrote: Do you think it is a bad idea to remove the rivets and extra area for the chain catcher and then have it patched with carbon?
This is some revolutionary thinking right there! Not interested in MTBs but I'm camping here to see some crazy things like these Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

DOUG

by DOUG

Awesome stuff. Love a good MTB build.

FWIW I have never run a chain catcher and can count on one hand the number of times ive dropped a chain. Has only happened once in a race and cost me maybe 20 seconds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Whoah!!! This is so exciting, I’m along for the ride that’s for sure.